UFC 79: Sam Caplan’s complete breakdown and analysis

In addition to my feature on Chuck Liddell’s win over Wanderlei Silva during UFC 79, I also wanted to provide my full breakdown of the card.

1. Mark Bocek defeats Doug Evans via unanimous decision

I arrived at the show a few minutes late and didn’t see Bocek vs. Evans in its entirety. What I did see, I was not impressed with.

All three judges scored it 29-28.

2. Roan Carneiro defeats Tony DeSouza via TKO (referee’s stoppage) at 3:32 of round 2

The match started off pretty slow but Carneiro’s MMA skills were just too much for DeSouza. The fight ended when the referee stepped in after Carneiro was on the ground with DeSouza and reigning down unanswered blows to the back of his head.

After the fight, Carneiro got on the mic and pleaded for the UFC to give him more fights. With this win and a solid showing in a losing effort to Jon Fitch, I think he’ll get it. It’s a shame that Carneiro and Thiago Alves are both affiliated with American Top Team because that would be one hell of a match.

3. Dean Lister defeats Jordan Radev via unanimous decision.

CLICK HERE TO READ THE REMAINDER OF SAM CAPLAN’S COMPLETE BREAKDOWN OF UFC 79; INCLUDING HIS RESPONSE TO THOSE WHO CLAIM SOKOUDJOU WAS EXPOSED; WHERE HE FEELS LYOTO MACHIDA RATES IN THE LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT DIVISION; WHETHER CHUCK LIDDLEL IS BACK; WHAT MATT HUGHES SHOULD DO NEXT; IF WANDERLEI SILVA WAS HURT BY LOSING; AND WHERE GEORGES ST. PIERRE RANK IN THE WORLD’S POUND-FOR-POUND RANKINGS.

• Tommy says:

Whoever wrote this needs to rewatch the Liddell-Silva fight. Silva NEVER knocked Liddell down. Liddell slipped both times. In fact Silva lucked up to have Liddell slip the one time because Liddell landed a right so hard on Silva’s chin it forced him to lose his footing. Silva was too rocked to go after Liddell on the slip. Great reporting we have here.

• Argyle says:

I love anonymous sanctimony.

• Tommy says:

Just like Liddell getting punked I guess.

• garth says:

tommy: i’d hate to see what happens if someone sees something different in a cloud than you. you might kill them.

• MMA SKOOL™ says:

I saw those as slips too. But I think the point is, Silva should’ve gone after Liddell regardless if he was rocked or just slipped. I’d say he was probably collecting himself. He ate a lot of Liddell’s fists… And if he knew it was just a slip maybe he didn’t want to risk rushing over to engage a coherant Liddell.

Sam, your point about GSP p-f-p ranking sounds good to me. Assuming GSP beats Serra, will he mow over Fitch like he did Koscheck? Can Fitch bring anything that Koscheck couldn’t?

If the UFC can root out more guys like GSP, the sport will really take off.

• Tommy says:

Are you telling me that Silva knocked down Liddell then Garth? Or that Silva punked Liddell. Cause neither happened. In the ppv replay they reaired Silva’s head flinch and Chuck never moved, and it was clear both times Chuck fell that he slipped. Plus I really don’t think I was that aggressive. And it was a damn monkey in the clouds not a bird.

• mike wolfe says:

Did anybody catch the look on Rampage’s face when they panned over to him during the Liddell/Silva fight? He looked like he was thinking hard about something that didn’t make him too happy. Maybe that Silva beat him in PRIDE, and Liddell was handling Silva without too much difficulty. On the other hand, maybe Ramapge’s expression was just gas or something.

• jaydog says:

Rampage shook his head, seemingly in disbelief, after the 3rd round ended in the Iceman/Silva match. If he and I were on the same page, then he was miffed that Chuck could have finished Wandy, but preferred to coast for the last two minutes of the fight. He could have been wondering why Silva didn’t blast Chuck’s head with knees the way Jackson experiences too many times to count. I think that it’s safe to say that a man in Quinton Jackson’s shoes would probably be saying, “That wasn’t the Axe Murderer who demolished me twice” (although he did show fighting spirit, just not bloodthirsty savagery). Anyhow, as exciting as the fight was (at times), I think plenty of people were shaking their heads afterwards, thinking, “Two tentative and safe gameplans by two of the heaviest hitters in the game.” IMHO.

• Sam Cupitt says:

I think it was a knockdown. But it was only a flash knockdown and I think Silva registered that.

How awesome was the move by Silva in the first round to fall back onto the cage and drawing Liddell in

• Eric says:

Sam- Chuck threw a back fist in the Jardine fight

• Jay K. says:

Definitely agree with Sam. Chuck’s staple is as a counter puncher and Silva pulled him out of his game. Smooth move!

Jay K.

• stephen says:

I completely agree on the sokoudjou/machida fight. The comparison between soko and houston is just an insult to soko. And yes, Machida is defianately a top 5 205er. i’d love to see him fight a huge name like shogun, silva, rampage, or even forrest. As for why silva didnt go in for the kill when he knocked down liddell. Right before he got the knockdown, liddell tagged silva and you could see he was stunned even when he got the knockdown over liddell. He took a second to recover while standing with liddell on the ground