Yarennoka! Results – Fedor Submits Choi

What: Yarennoka! (Fedor Returns)
When:
12/31/07

Where:
Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan

• Shinya Aoki def. Bu-Kyung Jung – Unanimous Decision
  • Hayato “Mach” Sakurai def. Hidehiko Hasegawa – Unanimous Decision
  • Fedor Emelianenko def. Hong Man Choi - Armbar Submission @ 1:54 of Rd. 1  WATCH this FIGHT
  • Kazuo Misaki def. Yoshihiro Akiyama – KO (Strikes) @ 2:12 of Rd. 1
  • Mitsuhiro Ishida def. Gilbert Melendez - Unanimous Decision
  • Makoto Takimoto def. Murilo Bustamante - Split Decision
  • Tatsuya Kawajiri def. Luiz Azeredo – Unanimous Decision.
  • Mike Russow def. Roman Zentsov - N/S Choke Submission @ 2:58 of Rd. 1

HDNet is replaying the event (calling it HDNet Fights: Fedor Returns) at 3pm on 12/31 and again on Fri & Sat of the coming week – details here.

• dizzle says:

I’d like to see these fights. I thought they were fighting tonight…kinda sucks for me.

did anyone catch the fights?

• Rich says:

Thanks for the title spoiler.

• Dr J says:

at first I thought it said Choi taps Fedor.

talk about a double take

• mike wolfe says:

Now that he’s defeated Choi in 1:54, Fedor can step up the quality of his opponents. Maybe a bus load of toddlers?

• Adam Morgan says:

Mike,

Try Pedro Rizzo in April. Another lame fight.

• Zack says:

The end of the Akiyama v Misaki fight was very exciting. I thought Misaki was done and he ended up brutally KTFOing Akiyama with a kick to the head on the ground.

• Mike Wolfe says:

Adam–

Hasn’t Rizzo fought in the IFL recently? I could have sworn that I saw him in a heavyweight bout earlier this year, and he looked out of shape.

• Tommy says:

Fedor said he wanted a standing fight. Yeah I could tell.

• dizzle says:

he won the fight…that’s all that matter.

you fedor haters will pay!

• parickgamil says:

rock paper scissors fedor.

the rankings to the left mean nothing.

fedor is not unbeatable as even this fight shows.

BUT HE”S THE BEST

• parickgamil says:

those punches by choi left fedors face looking nasty, any post fight photos?

• Brad says:

Choi did have some heavy hammer fists, but yeah world class fighters shouldn’t compete in freakshows. No more Zulus or HMCs

• Paul Balsom says:

Just like the Hughes haters paid, right?

• dizzle says:

Oh I paid alright Paul. I lost $250 dollars on that deal.

• Mike Wolfe says:

I don’t hate Fedor. Heck, I’d love the guy if he’d fight legit opponents.

• Tommy says:

I say screw Randy and Fedor. Randy is scared to lose his comeback record to anyone other then Fedor and Fedor thinks he should get treated better then any man alive and have special rules just for him. I still believe the Randy vs Gonzaga fight might have gone different if Randy didn’t shatter Gonzaga’s nose with that headbutt. Sure they’re both great, but why do why have to pay them so much special attention? Get over it already.

• parickgamil says:

this article is way before ufc bought pride.
    it shows that he is not anti american but simply doesnt like the show biz blood money capitalism. neither do I – i fact ufc reeks of it – whether it has the majority of top fighters at present. dana’s interest is in monopolizing and not facilitating the international circle of MMA

• Paul Balsom says:

Tommy…. you are not a smart person.

• bubbafat says:

The special rules were for Hong Man Choi not Fedor.
    And it was Ricco Rodriguez you’re thinking of not Pedro Rizzo.
    Couture vs Gonzaga=spilled milk. We can go further back and say it might have been a different outcome if Couture hadn’t gotten Chuck’s thumb in his eye in their second fight. Then he never would have lost the LHW title.
    But it’s pointless. Couture is the Champ and Fedor’s the Champ, if you don’t care about the universally recognized top two guys in the world, you’re the one losing out.

• dizzle says:

Tommy the special rules were in effect because Choi is really a Super Heavyweight and Fedor is a regular heavy weight. That’s what usually happens when you do a david vs. goliath match my friend….Rules are applied because one of the athletes have an advantage, and I have to say that Choi would have had the advantage because of his height to use those brutal knees.

You think if Choi was 6’1 like Fedor that there still wouldn’t be knee’s allowed? NO!

• Tommy says:

Paul, your momma’s not a smart person. Bubba what about their 3rd fight? Though that’s really not the point. Dizzle I dig what your saying, it just always seems like Fedor wants special rules for him. Similar to a special contract he wanted from the UFC just for him.

• Paul Balsom says:

My mom’s dead.

• Tommy says:

Guess she’s smarter then I thought. I try to respect people on sites but you opened it up with your insightful retort towards me so…

• Adam Morgan says:

Guys,

Let’s keep it to a respectable level in the comments. This ain’t Sherdog.

• mike wolfe says:

What’s wrong with capitalistic blood money? Without it, there would be no UFC or MMA. Fighters show up for bucks, not to make statements about the maltreated proletariat. Even Fedor is all about the bucks. That’s why he hasn’t come to terms with UFC. He wants more than what White will offer him. And what’s wrong with building a dominant organization? Should the UFC run as a charitable non-profit?

• Sam Cupitt says:

Fedor vs Choi is hilarious. Everytime Fedor would try and take down Choi he’d just fall on him. Then Choi would lay there and when he eventually decided he’d throw a punch Fedor would throw up an arm bar.

I was kinda shocked that Melendez lost…

• Gatsu says:

If Fedor needs special rules (no knees allowed) vs Choi (who is a kick boxer) because of his size advantage, then maybe he should not have agreed to fight him – After all isn’t this supposed to be a mixed martial arts fight.

And back in the early days of UFC there were no weight classes and there were no special rules. If your skill was good enough, you would win.

If Fedor thought he was at a size disadvantage, he should have picked someone else to fight – maybe someone with a few mma fights to his name.

• pr0cs says:

“I still believe the Randy vs Gonzaga fight might have gone different if Randy didn’t shatter Gonzaga’s nose with that headbutt.”

It likely would have been much different with Randy’s arm being broken. I can’t imagine he would have been able to use it much past the 3rd round.
    He beat Gonzaga but in no way did he “crush” Gonzaga, I’d like to see a rematch to be honest.

• Tommy says:

That’s all I’m saying #28 & 29. Paul Balsom seems to dislike others opinions and goes so far as to edit and completely change peoples words, so be careful saying things on this site though.

• Dizzle says:

come on guys can’t we all just get along? It’s the new year lets be friends!