Dan Henderson thinks he’s a bad matchup for Anderson Silva and that he’ll win the clinch game

From Steve Sievert’s MMA Notebook at the Houston Chronicle:

“Style-wise, I’m just a bad fight for him,” Henderson said. “He’s very tough, very talented, but he hasn’t fought anybody like me.”

“My strength is the clinch game, and I don’t get out of position there to allow strikes,” said Henderson (22-5), who’s never been knocked out in his 10-year career. “That’s what he (Anderson Silva) thrives on, guys that are out of position and not very good in that clinch. For me, that’s where I’m going to beat him up, and if he gets there with me, I’m going to be taking him down and beating him up on the ground.”

The clinch game is going to be where this fight is won or lost. Will Henderson’s proficiency inside the Greco-Roman clinch allow him to take Silva down and control him? Or will Anderson Silva’s proficiency with the muay thai clinch shine through and allow him to beat Henderson up with knees and elbows inside? For my money, if this is where the fight’s going to be decided, the advantage goes to Henderson because of his Olympic background.

• garth says:

not that i disagree, but there’s a lot of kneeing to the face in the olympics?

• Adam Morgan says:

Henderson may eat a knee or two but I think he will eventually control the clinch and take Silva to the mat.

• Mike Wolfe says:

I can hardly wait for this one. If Henderson can’t take Silva, Silva owns the middleweight division for the forseeable future. What’s the height differential? In my mind that could be the determinative factor between two very tough, experienced fighters.

• dizzle says:

henderson will be tapped out.

• Rich says:

am i the only one that thinks anderson looks like a small middleweight?
    i think he could easily fight welterweight if he ever wanted to.
    idk.
    he just looks small to me.
    if he ever becomes unsuccessful in the middle weight division [which i don’t see happening… the only chance he stands at losing is to henderson… or if someone got one of those lucky fast ko’s or something.]

• Rich says:

like i was saying…
    if he ever becomes unsuccessful he should drop weight.

• Rashad #1 says:

Brazilians typically dont like cutting weight.. Anderson walks around around 190-195 and probably wouldnt be interested in shedding the extra pounds to fight at 170.

• Asa says:

If a kilo = 2.2 pounds, then Anderson would be 213.4 lbs, given his stated walking-around weight of 97Kg. I don’t know if cutting 43 pounds is a good idea.

• Accomando says:

Anderson Silva is not a small 185’er.

He may be thin, but he is tall and strong. There is no chance he could make 170.

• Rashad #1 says:

Also in his case ïf its not broke dont fix it.. especially if he is able to take out Hendo which I am pretty sure he will

• Grape Knee High says:

Just to dispel some of the myths that are showing up:

Anderson Silva has fought at lower weight classes before. I believe his fight against Hayato Sakurai in Shooto was contested at 167 lbs. Silva’s fight against Yushin Okami in Rumble on the Rock was fought at 175 lbs, just 2 years ago.

• dmagic says:

I think silva will use his reach and kicks 2 take out hendo, jus like leban, pushem off and strike strike strike. thats the advantage.

• bubbafat says:

Right on Radar(knee high, hah hah). Thank you for pointing out the facts.
    Catch weights, welterweight, and middleweight is where Anderson Silva has made his career. Against some really good competitors too.
    Brazilians don’t like cutting weight… neither does anyone else. If the competition is a little less skilled, guys may tend to move up a weight class.
    I mean, Dennis Kang, a guy who fights at 185(may be able to make the drop to 170, i don’t know) is the Spirit MC “Heavyweight Champ” outta’ Korea. Put him beside Randy Couture, and he looks like a little boy. Not to mention Hendo has fought at 185 for a long time and only recently(last year) made the up to 205 again. (By the way Hendo has probably never weighed over 205)

• Sam Caplan says:

Grape Knee High, it’s hard to use Shooto as an example, because weigh-ins in Japan have been known to be fishy. Just because the match was listed at 167 lbs. doesn’t mean Silva weighed that… on the day of the fight or even at the time of weigh-ins.

• Grape Knee High says:

Sam, even if you think the weigh-ins for Shooto were fishy, what do you think the chances are that he even sniffed 185 at that time? The fact remains that Silva perennially competed at ~170 for most of his career before landing in the UFC.

It might be difficult for him to do so, but it would not be impossible for him to cut to 170 (not that I am suggesting he needs to do this). That said, I still prefer Henderson in this fight — assuming he fights smart. If Hendo fights dumb as he did against Misaki just standing and banging, he could very well be KOed.

• Brent says:

Japanese fight weights as displayed in show graphics are meaningless – so many times the fighters have posted their actual weights and the weight of their opponent on various forums – If you watch Korean, Japanese, and the English caps, you’ll even see different weights listed for the same fight sometimes.