Kendall Grove: “My first six fights, I fought high.”

In a very interesting interview at Cage Potato, Kendall Grove reveals his thoughts on marijuana and whether or not it should be a banned substance for mixed martial artists:

“See, marijuana is a touchy subject. I’m a rock star — I’ve been smoking weed since I was in the 6th grade, I can openly say that. But I’m also clean when I fight. I cut that shit out — I’m a professional. Don’t get me wrong, my first six fights, I fought high, I fought stoned. But when you get to this level, you have to take responsibility. It’s your job. I stop doing that stuff three months out. I just think they blew it way out of proportion. What did they say with Nick Diaz? “Oh, him smoking weed made his pain threshold higher—”

“It’s stupid. Steroids actually make you run faster, make you stronger — it’s a performance enhancer. And weed just makes you gain weight and be lazy. “

Is this really surprising to anyone? There are plenty of people in the sport who smoke weed, you just don’t know about it. Why? Because they clean their system out just like Kendall does. Marijuana and the jiu jitsu culture are intertwined so it should be no surprise that some of these fighters, more than we probably think, are rockin’ the ganj on a regular basis.

• Anton K says:

I got news for people… practically the whole damn country is “rockin’ the ganj on a regular basis”.

• Zern says:

I will admit I think it is much better for a fighter to come home at the end of the day and smoke a joint instead of having to use serious PK’s (Vicoden, Percocet, OxyContin). I train out of a world class gym and many of the fighters (ufc and pride vets) still smoke the months leading up to a fight, and they usually stop about month and half away from fight night.

• Evan says:

I don’t smoke but there is nothing wrong with Weed IMO. Much better than the handfuls of pain killers than some of these guys have to take.

• Rich says:

HAHAHA.
    ” rockin’ the ganj ”
    that’s funny.

• joey says:

Weed is much less harmful then alcohol, which many fighters drink on a regular basis (read Chuck Liddell). Not to mention killer pharmaceuticals and steroids.

• Andrew says:

Gotta love Hawaii! I’m not saying all Hawaiins burn but all the ones I know do!
    Marijuana is a natural medicine that millions of responsible taxpaying Americans smoke everyday. It relaxes the body and mind, it does not enhance your performance.
    But then there we have what you call PRIORITIES! If you are a pro athlete and you compete in anything that has rules, you have to follow those rules, and if that means giving up marijuana, so be it. It’s not the end of the world, I would give it up for the chance to be a ufc fighter anyday.
    Too bad you get a more severe penalty for marijuana than steroids! Doesn’t make sense!

• bubbafat says:

How are marijuana and the jiu jitsu culture intertwined? I’m from B.C. and we got alot of pot around here and I’ve never heard that.

• mike wolfe says:

Me neither. A joint has no filter, which means you’re inhaling a lot more toxins than you get from a cigarette. How you can keep your cardio at world class level if you’re baking out on a regular basis?

• Tanner says:

Bubba – Look up Eddie Bravo.

I’m a jiu jitsu guy and I always get high before I roll and do drills, makes me relax and being all tense while you’re rolling doesn’t help to much.

• Paul Balsom says:

was there ever any doubt?

• Adam Morgan says:

Bubba,

Sam Sheridan, in A Fighter’s Heart, talks a bit about marijuana usage in the gyms in Brazil and how basically everyone just gets high and rolls. Since that’s where the BJJ culture came from, there’s no wonder that there’s a prevalent amount of marijuana usage among fighters. That’s not the sole reason, obviously, but it’s one of the contributing factors for sure.

• Anton K says:

#6

Nicotine shrinks blood vessels and reduces oxygen flow. Marijuana (THC) OPENS blood vessels(vaso-dilation) and increases oxygen flow… that’s why your eyes get red when you smoke. How do I know this? You’ll have to trust me.

• mike wolfe says:

Anton–

I’ll take your word for it, denying any knowledge of such things.

• Tony Fennen says:

Now all we need to do is get you guys to join NORML
    and vote on legislation to decriminalize natures #1 cure.

You can buy cancer by the pack at any store… The best treatment for cancer will grow ANYWHERE!!!

• Drewdoodoo says:

Wow, Felipe is kind of a buzz kill.

• Mike Wolfe says:

Wow. I’d heard about people ingesting alcohol with a vaporizer, but not weed. I need to get out more often.