Report: Karo Parisyan vs. Thiago Alves at UFC 84

MMA Junkie’s got the scoop:

Sources close to both fighters today told MMAjunkie.com that the fight has been discussed and that bout agreements are expected to be signed. The welterweight bout would complement UFC 84’s main event between UFC welterweight champ Matt Serra and interim champ Georges St. Pierre.

Well, I’ll give it to Karo. This isn’t quite the “layup” I thought he would get for his next fight. Alves is coming off a solid victory over Chris Lytle in his last fight and looked very good throughout the duration of the bout. It’s likely that Karo takes this bout but don’t underestimate Alves’ ability.

Check out more UFC 84 and Karo Parisyan content on FiveOuncesofPain.com

• Jeremy says:

I think Karo actually mentioned fighting Alves as one of the guys he would fight instead of Fitch, which was the fight people wanted to see for the No.1 contender.

• R says:

I’m going to giggle like a school girl if Alves beats him.

Alves is no joke, but I think Karo will probably end up winning via decision.

That’s after a couple of good judo throws and then 11 minutes of mocking and waiving his hands for Alves to throw down.

• Rashad #1 says:

After watching Karo against Chonan I think Alves is going to just STOMP him

• Wang Chung says:

eh…alves standup is quite a bit more technical than karo’s. his leg kicks are stupid, and karo’s pastey white meat sticks are prime targets. i’m not sure who takes this. is karo thinking this is a sure win? at any rate, glad to see this matchup.

and i thought lytle was winning against alves and on his way to a decision. the leg kicks were brutal but…i’ll have to watch it again.

• Bob says:

Yeah! This fight will hopefully put an end to Karo’s title shot plans. He can not beat GSP, not even close. I don’t need to see that fight. George needs to school Serra (Who I think is amazing) and then have a decisive win over Fitch to rule the roost in the UFC Welter Weight Devision.

As For Karo.. I have never been a big Karo fan, and after he rolled up on Nate Diaz during TUF. Karo totally exposed what kind of guy he really is, with his… “Do you know who I am?” Tough guy BS, that scene made me a Nate fan, I loved how he stood up and pushed back on Karo. The only top guy Karo has beaten in 3 years is Matt Serra, and that was in 2005. He is fighting good, but not great guys, If he fights a top contender (Diego Sanchez) he loses. And he may have had throws that are cool, but how many have you really seen. I remember one or two from years ago, other than that I don’t find him very exciting. 9 or his last 10 have gone to decision. Karo needs to step up and fight top guys to be a top guys. Karo was CHICKEN to accept a Fitch fight, that is disgraceful. Real fighters fight anyone, anywhere, anytime. I agree with Dana when he finds guys on the show who step up. I instantly become a fan for the boyz with warrior spirit. I will be cheering loudly for Alves.

Karo’s ego makes me think of Matt Hughes… Hey there is a match up I would like to see. Karo vs Matt Hughes. I would not know who to cheer for. They are two of my favorite guys to cheer against.

Cheers.

• Rich says:

as amazing as Karo is… he can’t finish fights…
    on the other hand… Alves, win or lose, has only gone this distance once…
    so… idk…
    karo decision.
    maybe alves decision.
    maybe karo submission.
    its’ a toss-up.

and bob… matt hughes vs. karo was supposed to happen a few years ago, but karo couldn’t compete because of an injury… the replacement was joe riggs… was that ufc 54? i think so. same night franklin fought quarry.

• The Bean says:

This should be good. I like Karo in this fight, and while alves has the better strikes, i think Karo has the heavier hands so theres always the punchers chance. Karo better watch his legs, and Alves better watch out for the constant threat of the throw!

• Wang Chung says:

karo does have the heavier hands perhaps, but only because he throws ridiculously sloppy overhands. alves will take note and avoid it. although karo’s standup has looked a bit better lately, he’s in trouble if he thinks he’s going to get by standing with alves.

• bubbafat says:

After seeing Karo vs Chonan? What’s wrong with Chonan? Is he a can? The man who has the most amazing submission win in MMA history over Anderson Silva of all people is a can? check it on youtube.

• Mike Wolfe says:

Karo’s got a great chin. He went the distance with GSP, and looked pretty good until he gassed out in the third. If he trains and is in good shape, he should be the favorite going in. Can’t blame him for wanting a title shot. He’s fought a lot of guys over the years, and if a title is his goal, other fights are a detour.

• Rich says:

plus… like i mentioned earlier… karo was set to fight hughes for the title around two years ago… and that was taken from him by an injury… so… the fact that he tasted a title fight but ended up not having it should make him even more hungry. i just don’t see why he has a problem w/ not being able to finish a fight. . . his technique is amazing.

• Mike Wolfe says:

My theory is that conditioning plays a big role in his ability to finish. At this point it seems that cardio is either the fighter’s edge or the fighter’s achille’s heel. I’ve had the impression that Karo tends to train to the level that he perceives to be “good enough”

• Rich says:

another thing i wonder about is: why did karo drop ALL THE WAY to the bottom of the totem poll, after being put up for a title fight, just because of an injury.
    i mean, he didn’t lose, yet, he’s been tryin’ to fight his way back to a title shot for two years now. that’s kinda messed up.

• Mike Wolfe says:

Maybe he was being overlooked because of GSP’s win over Hughes, GSP’s upset loss to Serra, GSP’s recent win over Hughes, and pending re-match with Serra. Until the title is sorted out, nobody else including Karo is in line for a title shot. I’ll defer to Sam with regard to whether Karo has dropped in the rankings and why.