Brandon Vera out until at least May

UFC heavyweight contender Brandon “The Truth” Vera will be out of action until at least May after breaking a bone in his thumb during his UFC 77 fight with Tim Sylvia, MMAWeekly is reporting.

In the first round of his fight with Sylvia, Vera broke his left scaphoid, a small bone in the thumb that that keeps it from bending too far back towards the wrist, and continued the fight using just his right hand. Vera opted for immediate surgery on the left hand, which was eventually stabilized with three screws.

According to MMAWeekly, the UFC was hoping to have Vera as part of its March event in Columbus,OH, but Vera says he will be ready to return no earlier than May.

Read more about Brandon “The Truth” Vera at FiveOuncesofPain.com.

• Evan says:

That is some serious periods of inactivity. So much potential that just fell flat.

• dizzle says:

kinda weird but I’m able to bend my thumb all the way back to my wrist with no problem.

I wonder if people like myself who are so called “double jointed” aren’t prone to these types of injuries.

• NealTaflinger says:

Dizzle – your hand is relaxed. Much different than when you are throwing the hand forward or something pushes it back while you are resisting.

• dizzle says:

so true Neal I didn’t think about it like that.

Only thing that hurts me when I do my body bag work out is muscle in my hand between my index tendon and thumb tendon.

• Evan says:

You bend my thumb back relaxed or not and you will hear me shrieking like a girl. heh

• bubbafat says:

The scaphoid bone break is a common injury in contact sports. I played hockey and over the years broke the left and right. The difference is whether he did it to the hand that he’s most coordinated. Unless he’s ambi, of course. But either way it’s a tough break to see on an x-ray unless they are specifically looking at the scaphoid, and it’s also typically a pain in the ass to heal properly with no after effects.

• Mike Wolfe says:

The piece calls Vera a “heavyweight contender”. Didn’t he announce his intent to fight at light heavy after losing to Sylvia?

• Sam Caplan says:

Mike, not that I can recall.

• Evan says:

Mike

He said that he wants both belts but he is staying at HW for now.

• Mike Wolfe says:

Hmm. Coulda sworn … .

• Evan says:

Mike I think the confusion is he talked about this a lot between his new UFC contract and his fight . After he lost almost all blogs and forums ran with him moving to LHW. Assumptions Assumptions ahoy.

• Evan says:

Tell you what though..with the state of the HW division lacking in depth and the flood of LHW’s I would think sticking at HW is his easiest road to a belt.

• Sam Cupitt says:

Remember Mike, he said something like, “Id move down to heavyweight if i got my arse whooped. Hey crowd did I get my ass whooped?” “Nooooo” “Guess I’m staying at Heavyweight.

• mike wolfe says:

It’s a tough choice for him. Light heavy is stacked right now, and he really isn’t big enough to bang with bigger heavies. Sylvia really pushed him around. Vera has skills, but he was at an extreme disadvantage with Sylvia, who isn’t especially well rounded.