Report: Thiago Silva and Rashad Evans to fight in May

A UFC light heavyweight bout between Thiago Silva and Rashad Evans is expected to take place at UFC 85 in May, according to the Brazilian website Tatame.

The matchup between these two has been rumored for several weeks. The UFC has yet to make an official announcement.

Both Silva and Evans last fought on the UFC 78 card that took place this past November in Newark.

Evans, 11-0-1, won a split decision over Michael Bisping in a fight that was panned by many critics. The fight prior to Bisping, Evans went to a draw with Tito Ortiz at UFC 73 in July.

Silva, 12-0, recorded a TKO victory over Houston Alexander at 3:25 of round 1. He is 3-0 in the UFC and trains out of the famed Chute Boxe Academy in Curitiba, Brazil.

If you want to know who I’m picking, check out the comment thread.

• Kelvin says:

Oh yes, this fight is gonna expose somebody.

• ufcfan says:

i hope it exposes rashad
    he’s looked very bad in his last two fights, he talks a good game but
    needs to step up his conditioning and show some more attack

rashad was so tired in the bisping fight a more talented fighter would have
    taken him out quick

• dizzle says:

I’m hoping that Silva shows Evans why he should move down to middle weight with Bisping.

• Captain says:

Evans may be short for a light heavy but his strength makes up for it in most cases. I’m hoping he pulls the win off. Though I do also like Thiago. Should be a good fight.

What’s with the six month lay off for both these guys though? Is that by choice or by UFC matchmaking?

• Sam Caplan says:

Rashad loses, no question in my mind.

• Rashad #1 says:

lol Caplan thats funny.. anyone counting Rashad out is an idiot.. Who the hell has Thiago fought? I think Rashad has proved himself against tougher competition.. DOnt get me wrong I think this will be a good fight I am really worried Rashad will get his first loss but to count him out entirely is about as bad as picking Koscheck over GSP :)

• dizzle says:

this is one of those fights where you want to place an online bet.

Rashad winning doesn’t look too good.

• Rashad #1 says:

Rashad does just enough to win and I dont see him getting knocked out… how is Silva going to win persay?

• dizzle says:

uhm there’s about 1001 ways he could win this fight by submission.

• Rashad #1 says:

im sure there was 1001 ways he could have lost any of his previous fights.. Bonnar was planning on submitting him too but that went really well.. I am sorry but beating Houston Alexander doesnt exactly warrant everyone counting Rashad out of this fight.

• Mike Wolfe says:

Usually Rashad’s fights aren’t very exciting, but the guy always manages to eke out the win. He should’ve won against Tito, too. I wouldn’t bet against him even though I’ll be cussing the tv out of bored frustration by the time all three rounds are over.

• Rashad #1 says:

Exciting or not a win is a win

• Captain says:

No question in my mind?

• Asa says:

Clearly you’re a Rashad fan, so I hope you don’t take this as bashing:

He is an incredible wrestler which allows him to control some of the positioning in the fight, but he’s been in this sport for several years now and has yet to develop even semi-pro skills in JiuJitsu or Muay/boxing. These are the skills that would allow him to actually finish a fight or at least put fear into his opponents. Please do not allow his awkward kick to the head of Salmon to mislead you. He lacks the skills that Thiago is very well renowned for.

That of course means that Rashad has one thing Thiago might not have, which is wrestling, but I think his Jits from the bottom and relentless attacks are tools that can stop that.

• Asa says:

As for Misses* Caplan’s comment, I don’t think its that cut and dry. While I don’t think Rashad is likely to beat Thiago (barring underestimation) standing, I think his submission defense could be insane from training with GSP. And who knows, maybe he’s been getting some striking coaching in French as well?

But enough to beat the Last Chute Boxer … ?

* — FL4L!

• Sam Caplan says:

“Hmm… looks like Sam’s a prognosticator now. Well, Nostradamus, since there is no question in your mind, what are you willing to put on the line against all of us who are willing to bet on Rashad?”

LOL. What do you mean “now?” I’ve been making fight calls (right and wrong) for over a year now.

BTW, I didn’t know I had to put something on the line anytime I predicted a fight outcome on my own blog? LOL.

The prediction is what it is. I don’t feel a real need to put something “on the line” every time someone wants to go the other way on one of my predictions.

And Rashad #1, I was on the Thiago Silva bandwagon long before he beat Houston Alexander.

Why is it that people take predictions personally? Let’s debate the pick, but there’s no need to get upset. Some of you guys need to lighten up.

• Evan says:

Sam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Meet you by the bike rike biotch~

• Grape Knee High says:

Sam, I know you’re trying to get hits on your ProElite blog, but come on…what’s the real point behind putting half of a 4 sentence post on here and making the readers go to ProElite just to find out there’s only 2 more sentences in the entire post?

Makes sense on a longer entry, but doesn’t make as much sense on the shorter posts.

• Rashad #1 says:

LOL Sam I didnt mean to be stand offish in my comments.. believe me I dont take these things personally and I was just trying to entice a friendly debate .. I never said you werent on the Silva bandwagon before Houston as I have read your site for many months and I see how highly you praise his skills so I hope you didnt take my comments as anymore then a debate

• Grape Knee High says:

I’m gotta go with a close decision favoring Evans in this one.

As much as Evans has a limited skill set, he’s extremely good at that one thing and most likely knows enough to not get swept or submitted while on top.

Besides, we’ve seen even less from Silva as far as his bottom game goes (and that’s where he’ll be for 15 boring minutes of this fight). Also, Silva is not the last Chute Boxer; he’s now training with ATT. At this point, the last Chute Boxer is probably Werdum.

• Rich says:

i can’t believe evans.
    he’s probably the only person who’s every had tito ortiz tired, aside from chuck and randy, and he did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING what so ever to try to finish him. i mean. tito had both of his hands dropped the whole time in the third round and half the second. he was completely drained of power. rashad could have punched, kicked, taken him down, but no, he danced around him and decided to take him down w/ 15 seconds left. If there would have been thirty more seconds after rashad took him down at the end of the third. . .rashad could have had a finish. . .
    in other words, rashad has come no where NEAR his peak of potential.
    he’s just stupid.
    but. . .
    he wins.
    and he’s 16-0-1.
    so…

• Sam Caplan says:

Rashad, I’m all for debate. But don’t you think there was a better way to try and foster it than with this:

“lol Caplan thats funny.. anyone counting Rashad out is an idiot..”

• Sam Caplan says:

Grape Knee High, point well taken.

• Mike Wolfe says:

Finish the thought, Rich. Tito was penalized a point for grabbing the cage. Despite that, the fight was ruled a draw even though Rashad took Tito down repeatedly and Tito did no damage with his ground and pound. Imo, the only reason Rashad didn’t get the decision is because his style isn’t exciting. That shouldn’t affect the scoring, and he should’ve had the decision.

Fighting Rashad must be like trying to punch your way out of a wet sleeping bag: Very frustrating and very taxing. Imo, there’s a good chance he can wear down and frustrate Silva and ultimately outscore him.

• Sam Cupitt says:

I am very much hoping Thiago Silva places repeated knees through Rashad’s skull.

Anyway it looks like to me that know that all the light heavyweights seemed to be matched up. Shogun will fight Keith Jardine.

• Captain says:

Well, I took nothing personally nor am I bothered that people think Thiago will win. Frankly, I would like to see Rashad pull out an impressive win but have a bad feeling that Thiago’s going to beat him (literally).

Sam: As for the fight prediction, it’s not that you pick Silva, it’s that you are gauranteeing it by saying you have no doubt in your mind. I can’t say I remember you ever gauranteeing a winner before and being so arrogant about it but maybe you have. I don’t know. Personally, I think it’s a bad policy to gaurantee winners and don’t do it. Either way, it’s your blog and you can do what you want. If you don’t want to put a bet on your gauranteed pick, that’s cool. Like I said, I’ll be rooting for Rashad, but also like Thiago (and have a bad feeling he will win) so at the end of the day it will be no big deal to me.

• Raiderbeast says:

I guarantee Silva beats Evans. And it will most likely be in the 1st. round.

• Zern says:

Sam, when I first read this article I immediately said to myself Rashad was gonna lose just like your first comment. Now after reading and thinking some more I’m gonna have to disagree. GKH said it best that its gonna be Thiago on his back the whole fight, Evans will use his superior strength and inferior skills to win the fight. We know Evans will have the right game plan, Greg Jackson knows how to formulate Evans’ gameplans, as long as he will avoid subs from the bottom, he will eeek out a decision. I do wish that Thiago comes through someway somehow though, because we all know that Rashad is far from being for real. Rashad vs. Rampage? HAHA

• screwface says:

im a huge rashad fan, its a home team thing. but he has really bored me for a while now. but lets praise his defense since we cant say anything nice about his offense. this will be be another boring fight. itll go 3 rounds and somehow rashad will pull off a split decision. every1 will argue that he didnt win, and we will repeat these same shenanigans on the next rashad fight card :p

thiagos win over houston was impressive, but all the holes in houstons game are rashads strengths and vice versa imo. so this will be a completely different type of fight.

• mike wolfe says:

Most of Rashad’s wins were over strikersm so evidently he knows how to fight them. His style isn’t flashy, but it has been effective. My prediction is a Rashad win by decision.

• Buster Bluth says:

I love all the Rashad bashing based on that people just don’t like him or how he wins fights. He’s undefeated for a reason…he’s a good fighter plain and simple. It may not be pretty but he wins. He’s still young and he’s still developing. Thiago is a good up and comer in the division and I think he poses a lot of potential problems for Rashad. He supposedly has good BJJ but I have never seen it so I can’t comment on it. He hasn’t fought the greatest of competition yet so it’s hard to get a good read on how good he really may be. Thiago has not fought a wrestler the caliber of Rashad…his last few fights were against stand up bangers. So that could pose a problem for Thiago. I haven’t seen Thiago on his back so I have no idea how well he’d do. You can also say the same for Rashad…he’s rarely ever on his back. Rashad has fought some decent BJJ guys and has never been close to being submitted but never the caliber of BJJ guy that Silva is supposed to be. The other thinkg to note is that Thiago has only gone 3 rounds once in his career so it’d be interesting to see his cardio going for 3 rounds. Rashad has done it many times so he’s used to that type of fight. I think this is going to be a great fight and I think that this fight will really expose who is the contender and who is the pretender. They both have seriously great chins and they both like to bang when given the opportunity. I like Rashad to pull out a victory cause he has shown he can obviously last a 3 round fight and he’ll score multiple takedowns just like he does to everyone he faces. Thiago’s win over Houston was impressive because it exposed Houston as a one-dimensional fighter…that’s all.

• Rich says:

i’ll also predict rashad decision.

• Dave says:

i personally cant wait for rashad to lose so i dont have to watch his boring ass again for a while.