Matt Hughes Book A Top Seller – More to Come?

From Matt-Hughes.com:

-Matt

Matt Hughes’ business manager, Brian Patton tells me that he received advance notice of Made In America’s place on the list which reports sales data for the week ending January 12. The list will be published in the January 27 edition of the paper.

No doubt, the success of Hughes’ book will lead to additional titles as potential authors and publishers alike look to capitalize on the rising popularity of mixed martial arts. Already slated for release in May is Chuck Liddell’s autobiography, titled “Iceman: My Fighting Life” and “Fedor: The Fighting System of the World’s Undisputed King of MMA” by Fedor Emelianenko is due in September.

Check out more Matt Hughes content on FiveOuncesofPain.com

• Ben Fowlkes says:

Wow. That’s ironic.

• Evan says:

Its a very good book.

For people getting so upset about some of those earlier quotes for him not liking Tim should read the whole thing as he ended up having a lot of respect for him.

• Derek B. says:

books? Who reads books anymore?

I’d be more interested in a documentary film.

• Evan says:

“We just got the NY Times bestseller list in, and MADE IN AMERICA is #21! Thanks to all the fans for making this happen.

EDIT: If you go to the NY Times website, you will see a list posted there that is dated January 20th, 2008 and MADE IN AMERICA is not on that list. That list only reflects sales for the week ending January 5th. My book should be on the list for the week ending January 12th, which hasn’t been posted to their website yet; but it should be in a week or two.

-Matt

• phyteguru says:

I’m in the process of reading the book and have made it through about 6 chapters so far. The material in the book is great so far, but the writer did not do the best job in the world. He jumped from section to section with horrible transitions. Paragraphs will end pretty quickly and jump right to a new subject. …I dont really care though, I’m reading it for the material in the book, not Matt Hughes writing skills.

• Evan says:

Yeah I agree phyteguru …I read a lot of books and its obvious you’re reading a raw author on this one. The flow can be rough at times. I think the editor chopped a lot of stuff out for his early life and Matt had a hard time with it. It gets much better as it goes as he finds his stride. Once he meets Monte and starts his fighting career it goes by too fast.

• Grape Knee High says:

I’m sure Matt is not lying here. However:

The real important point is that it doesn’t take much sales to get onto the Hardcover Non-fiction list in the first place, so being #21 on this list is not exactly prestigious. It’s like coming in #21 in the Special Olympics.

• Evan says:

“it doesn’t take much sales to get onto the Hardcover Non-fiction list in the first place”

I am sure there is a few thousand authors of books released in the past year that would argue with that. The fact that ANY MMA book can crack the top 100 list is pretty amazing. Its not a developed sport with a deep history like the NFL or MLB.

• Grape Knee High says:

Evan, you have to keep in mind that hardcover books generally sell much fewer copies than paperbacks overall, with non-fiction generally selling a miniscule number of books compared to fiction. To be only #21 on the hardcover non-fiction list is not impressive.

Here’s a better snapshot of where his book really stands in terms of pure sales from Amazon.com and Barnes and Noble:

Amazon.com Sales Rank: #2,935 in Books (See Bestsellers in Books)
    Barnes and Noble Sales Rank: #4,843

• Mike MacLeod says:

Hey guys. This article got published while I was still gathering information. Figures, seeing as this is my first article for Five Ounces.

I have confirmed that the NYT publishes their list two weeks after they collect the data and Hughes’ book is indeed #21 for nonfiction for the week ending January 12.

You can resume your argument about whether #21 can be considered successful.

Mike

• Evan says:

hah…no worries Mike

“you have to keep in mind that hardcover books generally sell much fewer copies than paperbacks overall, ”

Grape Knee High

Without question you are correct here. Relative sales of paper backs to Non Fiction are two completely ballparks. But no matter how you split it a MMA bio in the top 100 is simply amazing. If it had been a sub catagory like “non fiction – home improvement” (yes there is one out there) then indeed it can be compared to “the Special Olympics”.

But the blanket “non-fiction ” catagory…thats very impressive to me. If it had been by Lance Armstrong or Tom Brady then not so much I suppose…but back to my main point…this is a MMA book. Lets have a little gof clap for Matt.

• Evan says:

By the way…Tito has one coming out in May. Which is right around when his UFC current contract expires, I believe. It will be interesting what kind of blow torch he takes to Zuffa.

• cyphron says:

I found out what the title for Tito’s new book is:

Tito Ortiz: I Can’t Hang With Top Competition but I Can Beat Ken Shamrock.

• Joe Nassise says:

Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble sales ranks don’t tell you anything about how a book is selling over all. They list how a book is selling against other books in that category during that hour of that day. A long term listing in the lower numbers would show a book is selling well from that particular vendor but book can seem to be doing well from one vendor but actually tanking over all.

• Joe Nassise says:

And non fiction doesn’t sell a miniscule number of books compared to fiction – where are you getting your information, Grape Knee High?

• Evan says:

“They list how a book is selling against other books in that category during that hour of that day”

True but if a book is high on the NYT list you can expect the sites numbers to be high.

• mike wolfe says:

Post no. 13 is the inspiration for the latest competition: Come up with the best title for Tito’s new book. My entry: “Tito Ortiz: I fought Chuck Liddell twice and all I got was this lousy book deal”

• cyphron says:

How about:

Tito Ortiz: My Life with Jenna: What the Hell Was I Thinking?