YAMMA Pit Fighting: Details revealed about former UFC owner’s new MMA promotion

Details are now emerging in regard to former UFC owner Bob Meyrowitz’s attempt to return to the mixed martial arts business.

ProElite.com (SamCaplan.ProElite.com) received a press release this morning announcing that the name of Meyrowitz’s new promotion is “YAMMA Pit Fighting.

YAMMA Pit Fighting has scheduled its first event for April 11 at the Trump Taj Mahal in Atlantic City, NJ. According to the release, the promotion is planning a series of pay-per-view events, starting with the April event.

Meyrowitz’s new promotion is also promising some new innovations.

“YAMMA Pit Fighting will take a unique approach to the sport by reviving the tournament fighting format and unveiling a new fighting surface that promises to revolutionize the traditional MMA approach,” the release states.

Live Nation, a subsidiary of Clear Channel, has been previously reported as a financial backer in Meyrowitz’s new promotion.

CLICK HERE TO READ THE REMAINDER OF THIS ARTICLE ON SAM CAPLAN’S PROELITE.COM BLOG

• Evan says:

Good luck with all of that…… “Pit Fighting”………

• Adam Morgan says:

This is a joke. What the hell does YAMMA even stand for? And a “new” fighting surface? What does that mean? Is it literally going to be a pit? Meyrowitz is stuck in 1993.

• Derek B. says:

YAMMA

Yes! Another Mixed Martial Arts Org.

• Jiu-Jitsu Guy says:

Some of you people need to realize the following:

1. UFC will not always be the premier organization. Some of you fail to realize that MMA just became huge. The lack of ground game is annoying in the UFC. I also think some of the fighters are disrespectful with respect to the fight game. Jumping around and humiliating your opponent does not happen in other forms of martial arts. If you want to see how a real man wins, see Ralek Gracie defeating Shibata.
    2. Judging another organization simply because of the name is stupid, but I expect nothing less than the casual fan who would be submitted by a 1 stripe white belt in Jiu-Jitsu.
    3. The whole Brock Lesnar thing, and lack of a real ranking system, is pathetic in my opinion. Yes, that is you UFC. Lesnar is simply hype. That is not how things should be done. He should earn his way in this sport, but that didn’t happen because money is the bottom line. I hope Mir breaks something and sends him home in a body bag.
    4. I think you forgot about the Gracie family. The 3rd generation is going to turn MMA on its head. You have no clue of the caliber of talent that is not in the UFC. You will soon find out because the 3rd generation is determined to make a statement, and believe me they will. If you think some of these UFC fighters are good, wait until you see any of them. And no, it has little to do with the last name. They have been training as hard, and as clean, as anyone in the world. That is why they will be absolute destroyers when they choose to enter the MMA arena. And no, they aren’t one dimensional.

The average fan needs to wake up. The UFC, while a great part of MMA, is not the end all league. There is more to come. I have no clue about this YAMMA league, but I do know there is more to come.

• woooburn says:

didnt this clown do enough to tarnish the sports image the first time around?

unless bolo yeung or tong po show up, i have no interest in this.

• Derek B. says:

3rd generation Gracie are going to do what exactly?

I keep hearing this on forums but I’ve yet to read an explanation or a game plan as to what they are going to do and what makes them better than someone who is training under another Master.

• Derek B. says:

Yamma Pit Fighting

Now introducing Tag Team MMA Matches!

• Jiu-Jitsu Guy says:

Why are you calling him a clown? He was co-founder of the UFC with Rorion Gracie and you disrespect him? Just because the start was a little shaky with the public does not mean he is a bad person. Someone needs to put you in a choke hold and send you into dreamland because you are the prime example of what is wrong with the average fan. I take it you have no respect for your elders, correct? One of those fools who forgot about WWII and what others have done for us?

Oh, and by the way, the original UFC was real fighting. Last time I checked you can’t call timeout or cry about rules in a street fight. You wouldn’t know that.

• woooburn says:

easy there slugger.

• Jiu-Jitsu Guy says:

One other thing. It looks like you are complaining about the early talent in the UFC. There are several published letters to “big name” fighters who ran like hell and avoided the UFC because they knew Royce Gracie would humiliate them.

Regarding the 3rd generation, just wait and see. The best fighters are not the in the UFC, period. I have major respect for fighters like Machida, Stevenson, and BJ Penn, but some others are not legit and would be punished under different circumstances. Make is a 15+ minute fight and everything would change. The “take down” defense specialist would lose every time.

• Adam Morgan says:

I can hear Phil Baroni’s take on it now:

“You need some YAMMA-O, bitch.”

• FJ says:

I dont like how UFC treats there fighters or the fans. If they really wanted to please fans they would give us the fight that everyone else in the entire MMA world wants. You know.

• Evan says:

I think the new fighting surface will be concrete and instead of a fence it will be a circle of cars facing each other with their headlights on.

• Sergio says:

Jiu-Jitsu Guy needs to relax and realize that MMA has passed the Gracies by and until they prove otherwise, rather than cryptic “wait for 3rd Generation Gracies, OMG, they’re soooo good” message, the statement will remain true.

• cyphron says:

Yes, lets bring us back to the no holds barred days! 5 minute rounds? Psh! Time outs? Pshah! Real men pull hair and punch each other in the crotch! Make it 15 minutes so you get to see two guys gasping for air by the 12th minute. Yes, lets get the sport banned again! The original UFC was the epitome of MMA!

If these guys had stocks, I would short it now.

• GB says:

Why do these new promotions keep coming up with stupid new gimmicks and trying to change the unified rules? A new surface? What the hell is that supposed to mean? If every rinky dink MMA show keeps wanting to reinvent the wheel the sport will never be taken seriously. As much as I commend Zuffa for the great job they’ve done with the UFC, it’s not as if they have much competition with these clowns that keep coming and going.

I just read that Richard Steele’s IFO has gone under (they also had an international “sanctioning body”, remember?) after just four shows. A former employee has now launched a new promotion called the International Fighting Championship only to realize there’s an organization that’s been operating under that name for years (actually, the IFC is one of the best of the smaller shows and their tournament where Babalu defeated Prangley, Shogun & Horn in one night was one of the best ever).

I sure hope YAMMA is a serious promotion even if their ridiculous name is an indication of the opposite.

• Mike Wolfe says:

The name “Yamma” refers to one of the earliest forms of unarmed combat in which one famous champion/sensei used the battle cry “Yamma damma doo.” That guy was real old school and could kick ass on any “third generation” sissys.

• Jiu-Jitsu Guy says:

Keep talking. I know because I know, simple as that. Good thing about life is this; time always shuts up the unknowing and the haters. You will respect in due time. That is all that matters to me. Within three years you will get a taste of reality.

End of story.

• Big D D says:

Wasn’t it Art Davie who started the UFC with Rorion Gracie ?

• Jiu-Jitsu Guy says:

Dear 5 oz and other little babies who think they know martial arts:

Given that last comment calling great fighters sissys, I will not say anything more on this website. Instead of people who know, you will get little babies would don’t know anything about martial arts. Disrespecting fighters, who have already owned several name fighters in the UFC in other matches and rolling sessions, is unacceptable.

Good luck competing with other sites when you alienate people like me. These guys are wimps and I will not listen to someone calling incredible fighters (and human beings) sissys.

Have fun in your meat head gym boys or watching this on TV. You have no idea what this is all about and you never will.

I’m off to the other website. Have a nice day.

• Paul says:

mmmmmmm

i love pit fighting

• anti-Jiu-Jitsu guy says:

Thank god he’s off the site! What was his problem? Did he run out of midol or did someone just pee in his pool? Was he typing straight from his barstool with all of the other guys that think they know everything and are on a mission to supress any other opinions. If the gracies are so good then why did Royce get manhandled by Hughes? Don’t get me wrong the gracies are amazing at Jui-Jitsu, Maybe some of the best in the world but but its mixed martial arts not the Ultimate Jui-Jitsu Championship and that is why you won’t see a top ten Gracie.

• Kelvin says:

That name is atrocious.

• Derek B. says:

and another bites the dust…

This isn’t called your destination for insider news and opinion for no reason.

Lets try and keep it clean guys!

• Mike Wolfe says:

Geez, I was just trying to be funny. Now I feel like the little kid at the end of “Shane”–“Jiu-Jitsu Guy–come back!”

• Sergio says:

Don’t worry about it, Mike.

The guy has probably rolled for 4 months and thinks BJJ is God’s gift to MA. Combine that with an already pissy disposition and you’ve got someone whose posts I’d rather not read.

• Jiu-Jitsu Guy says:

Okay, I’m back. I can’t hold a grudge because of what one person said.

I haven’t named any specific fighters out of respect for them, but please understand, these guys have already tapped out several name UFC fighters in either grappling tourneys or sparring sessions. I realize there is more to fighting than jiu-jitsu, but believe me, Gracies have world class jiu-jitsu that no one can match. They have also been working hard on their stand up. If you knew where to look on YouTube and other sites, you would see it with your own eyes.

Also note, that the “third generation” has already had offers from all the top organizations FOR YEARS, including UFC. They simply don’t agree with the current rules and will not participate unless a huge offer is given to them. They are also young in terms of MMA, so there is no rush. They want to do it right.

• Jiu-Jitsu Guy says:

I also think the name YAMMA is a bad choice for an MMA league.

• cyphron says:

Am I the only one who think I’m in an unintentional comedy bit here? =)

• Mike Wolfe says:

Nyuk, nyuk nyuk. Woop whoop whoop. Wise guy, eh?

• knockemout says:

3rd generation gracie’s couldn’t hold royce’s jock strap, expect the same outcome of hughes and royce, and you keep saying how the ufc doesnt have the best fighters, than who does? pride? oh wait thats the ufc now, wec? oh wait zuffa owns them too, i understand your saying that ufc fighters have been beaten in grappling matches and etc…. but its mma guy not any specific ma, and the 3rd gen. does want to fight ufc do your research and you’ll see rorion has stopped them all with his out dated philosophy of real fighting

• well rounded in all aspects of mma guy says:

and as far the end of comment ten where you say “the take down defense specialist would lose everytime…” c’mon, it takes more gas trying to take someone down than to sprawl especially if the grappler keeps getting stuffed like a thanksgiving turkey, jiu- jitsu is great when incoporated with other skills, but like all one dimensional fighters, its just not enough by it self anymore

• Captain says:

“Yamma yamma yamma yamma yamma yaaamma…”

• Matt C. says:

i’m glad you all kissed and made up.

“well rounded in all aspects of mma guy” you rule. great name.

• mike wolfe says:

Didn’t the Ramones do a song called “Yamma yamma hey”?

• Sergio says:

Gabba Gabba, actually.

• Sam Cupitt says:

Maybe he’s going to take up Rorion’s original idea of just having a flat surface surrounded by a moat with crocodiles in it.

Would definitely alter some fighting styles.

And also wasn’t Tank Abbott called the legendary pit fighter back in the day. Then later on he confessed that Pit Fighting was just bullshit and he really was just a street fighter but they didn’t want to give him that tag?

• linx says:

I think at the end of the fight in yamma the announcer will say “finish him” ala mortal kombat.

• ArmyGuy says:

This is the funniest discourse yet!

The 3rd Generation is great under some other set of rules?

The Miami Dolphins would be in the Super Bowl right now…you know…under a different set of rules.

MMA is a sport – it’s not combat. And it’s awesome to watch – as much as I loved the UFC in 93, I enjoy it a lot more now. We have better athletes, more diverse skillsets, and you can even convince women to watch it with you now!

I spent many years an an infantryman in a variety of units and we were great under “different rules” too. Bad guy gets the mount on you – you’re buddy shoots him. Maybe we should incorporate that into MMA too – that way it’s more “realistic”…oh wait…that would suck ass.

New rules are awesome.

And I’m not dissing BJJ at all. It is awesome – I train at a fairly high level several times a week and from a pure enjoyment standpoint, if I had to isolate aspects of MMA out, I prefer it to Boxing, Kickboxing, etc. But come on man!

Mad props to the Gracies for creating the sport as we know it and for bringing BJJ to forefront. I hope Team Gracie 3.0 comes into the UFC and kicks ass.

• ArmyGuy says:

I used the wrong “your”. Nothing worse than bad grammar, am I right fellas!?! My humblest apologies.

• well rounded in all aspects of mma guy says:

2008 predictions- “YAMMA” doesn’t last after one ppv, lesnar beats mir and is in immediate title contention, sean sherk defeats bj penn, hendo beats silva, then anderson gets an immediate rematch and gets his title back, josh barnett will defeat aleksander, fedor will fight some more pussies, forrest will lose to rampage, then chuck will beat jardine in a rematch then beat rampage, gsp will reign supreme for a while, then gsp will jump weight classes, mirko(if he decides not to retire) will come down to 205(who cant wait to see that) and finally randy will kick the shit out of fedor in m-1

• Matt C. says:

new fighting surface that promotes standup? what are they going to do, electric shock the fighters if they go to the ground?

also “pit fighting” is a poor choice of words if u ask me. legit MMA will distance themselves. pit fighting is a phrase from 1995. that’s Tank abbott in his heyday shit.

Unless they are only expecting to grab the lunatic, hardcore violence fans. But is this is going live in Atlantic City casino, it has to be legit.

It just doesn’t add up…

• Derek B. says:

Only thing that comes to my mind when I hear Pit Fighter is that old atari game where you had to cross over Ditches with a rope and avoid the alligators.

Maybe that’s what this is. It’s a live action Pit Fighter Game.

• Sergio says:

Derek, you’re thinking of Pitfall.

Pit Fighter was a fighting game that I thought of back in 1993 everytime I saw Tank Abbott.

• Antonio says:

If I was the owners of UFC I would be concerned with the entry of YPF in the MMA sport. Bringing back tournament style and a new fighting surface to boot….can’t loose. The fans can’t get enough of this, finally some much needed competition for the UFC.

• notajujitsu guy says:

I love the tournament idea. Joe Sondo!!!!!!

• SHAOLINNINJA says:

# 17 Mike Wolfe Says:
    January 29th, 2008 at 2:49 pm

YABADABA DOO!

• Cyrialek says:

Hey, this could work if they get a legitimate gracie like Roger..!!!.if they go for the t shirt salesman like Renner or Ryron, that will suck and once again the gracies will be embarassed..