Report: Rousimar Palhares vs. Ivan Salaverry on May 24th

MMA Junkie’s got the scoop:

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today confirmed the fight with Salaverry’s camp, which received the fight offer just this afternoon. However, the fight was first reported by Sherdog.com, which mentioned the fighter’s likely signing last week.

This is a good first fight for Palhares. Training out of Brazilian Top Team, Palhares comes highly touted at middleweight and should be a nice boost of talent for the division. Salaverry is a journeyman and no pushover, however, and is a solid test for Palhares in his first fight with the UFC. It will be interesting to see how the BTT product performs inside the cage.

• Rich says:

Ivan Salaverry is in my top 3 fav. fighters.

he’s got such skill and it’s really a shame that he lost to Terry Martin and Nate Marquardt after such great performances against Fryklund and Riggs.

I haven’t seen much of his fights outside of the UFC… but i really think he’s a great fighter.

• Sam Cupitt says:

I enjoy watching Salaverry fight as well but I’m starting to think he’s getting a bit brittle in recent times.

• Rich says:

ya.
    same.
    he didn’t seem motivated at all in the fight w/ Martin.
    and i didn’t really see how the slam hurt him or why he ended up getting TKO’d.
    he’s got great striking and a great ground game. . . i don’t see why he shouldn’t be at the top of the MW division right now. . . maybe he can build his way back up.

I SURE HOPE SO.

• JacRabbit says:

agreed with sam

• Toquinho is a very good unknown fighter to the casual fanbase. He took out Fabio Negao by literally breaking his leg or at least tearing something. The guy had to be helped out of the ring. He nearly did the same exact thing to Daniel Acacio, a no joke PRIDE veteran, in the final. Very impressive performances for Palhares.

• sherman says:

I’m a submission wrestler and have done some extensive training with BTT in Rio. I can honestly say that Toquinho is absolutely the strongest human being I have EVER grappled with. He tapped EVERY SINGLE MEMBER of BTT when I was there (Nog, NogII, Busta, Sperry, Veira). His striking is sharp and he is extremely aggressive for a jiu jitsu guy. The newspapers in Brazil put it best ,” He has the flexibility of a 6 year old boy, but the power of a 300 pound man.” He is so dedicated and I hope (not taking anything away from Ivan) that Toquinho’s hard work pays off.

• NAT says:

Ivan’s gonna impress with this fight. He’s in amazing shape and has been very dedicated to his training. His techniques are uncomparable.
    Team Salaverry!

• sherman says:

ivan salaverry got dealt with!!!