Lesnar requires 4 XL gloves and is guaranteed $250,000; Couture not sold on former WWE star

There are some interesting quotes going around about Brock Lesnar right now in anticipation of his UFC debut tonight against Frank Mir.

First, we have this little nugget of info from Dave Meltzer of Yahoo!:

This week brought a few other surprises. The first is that Lesnar has a freakish reach for a man of his height. The second is he is only the second man in the history of combat sports in Nevada to wear size 4XL gloves, the other being South Korean giant Choi Hong-man, who is 7-3 and 367 pounds.

Say what you want about Lesnar’s striking ability, but to have such a large impact zone with your fists attached to a healthy reach says to me that he has a lot of potential as a puncher.

The fact that he has a short, thick neck also suggests to me that there’s the distinct possibility he could have a solid chin as well. The less your head jerks back when you get hit, the easier it is to retain your equilibrium. No, that isn’t a scientific fact but I’ve done some field research of my own.

I don’t think we’ll see all that much of Lesnar’s striking ability tonight, but I really believe he has the potential to be a threat on his feet in the future.

According to Meltzer, Lesnar was the taller of the two at the weigh-ins even though he’s only listed at 6’2.5” while Mir is listed as 6’4”.

Meltzer also breaks the news of what both fighters are due to be paid:

Lesnar is guaranteed $250,000, the highest of anyone on the show, plus has a $200,000 win bonus. Generally speaking, most UFC headliners earn substantially more than their contracted guarantees. Mir, who has a chance to revitalize his career with a win, has a $40,000 guarantee with a $40,000 win bonus.

While I’m picking Lesnar to win and pick up that $200,000 bonus, current UFC heavyweight champion Randy Couture isn’t so sure, according to a quote attributed to him in the Los Angeles Times:

Obviously I have a lot of respect for Brock Lesnar’s wrestling ability. He was an NCAA champion, which is an elite group of individuals. I don’t think it was a wise choice to jump in and fight a former heavyweight champion.

Couture forgets more about fighting than I actually know. I realize I am in no position to question his expertise. But let’s just say we agree to disagree. Mir was heavyweight champion at a time when the UFC’s heavyweight division was less than stellar. And in his prime, Mir lost to Ian Freeman and got pushed by Wes Sims. I respect Mir but I think his reign over the UFC’s heavyweight division is being embellished.

I also really think Mir is a good opponent selection for him. Lesnar wanted a name opponent and with a $250,000 guarantee, putting him in there with a no-name doesn’t make sense financially for the UFC. They need him to draw immediately at that kind of rate. So if you’re going to put him in there with a name guy, why not Mir?

Anyone who has ability is a threat to beat anyone. But of all the possible ways to win vs. Lesnar, I think Mir’s options are fewer than a lot other name fighters in the UFC right now.

• Derek B. says:

“The less your head jerks back when you get hit, the easier it is to retain your equilibrium. No, that isn’t a scientific fact but I’ve done some field research of my own.”

Sam I was taught in my Kick Boxing Class that if you hold your head stiff while being punched or kicked you would actually absorb more of the punch/kick. My master told me that if you’re able to move your head with the angle of the punch/kick that you wont absorb as much impact.

I haven’t really been able to experience a difference myself. I just know a punch to my head feels the same either way.

• Sam Caplan says:

Derek, if you want to leave your neck loose in a fight, be my guest. You just better pray nobody is throwing combinations at you. A hit to the face is going to hurt no matter what. You just want to be in a good position to recover as quickly as possible so you can defend yourself and counter. In my experience, if you loosen your neck muscles when you get hit, your head jerks back more. That not only leads to more dizziness but can also make for a bad sight line. It’s hard to defend what you aren’t in position to see.

Seriously, whatever you do, always keep your chin tucked down!

• Sam Cupitt says:

I’m sorry Sam but I just think a guy with crazy jiu jitsu and a knockout on their record is the worst possible match up for someone like Lesnar.

• Sam Caplan says:

I think the worst possible matchup for a wrestler with little or no MMA experience is someone who can knock their block off. Look at what Drew Fickett did to Josh Koscheck.

• Rich says:

we barely even know what lesnar’s like in an mma fight.. yet he’s leaving with a quarter of a million no matter what…

where as Mir’s been a headliner for years… at least… before the accident… and he’s only gonna get 80k if he wins.. that’s kinda retarded… but… oh well…

boy that would suck if Lesnar totally flops on Dana and the UFC..

• Sam Caplan says:

Rich, you don’t think Lesnar deserves it? His involvement will likely mean additional buys for this PPV. Shouldn’t that count for something? Should all of that additional money be solely pocketed by the UFC?

I agree though that Mir deserves more, and all indications are he will receive a bonus for this fight.

• Evan says:

What does everyone think of the rest of the card?

• Sam Cupitt says:

I was under the impression Drew Fickett was primarily just a grappler who caught Koscheck with a lucky shot.

Lesnar would make Hardonk his beeeeeech

• Sam Caplan says:

Do you understand my point though, how one strike can be that big of a threat to a wrestler?

If Lesnar got him down to the ground, yes. But what would happen if Hardonk sprawled and kept the fight standing?

• Sam Cupitt says:

Yeah but Hardonk is incapable of a sprawl thats my point. I don’t disagree with you that a striker could be a worse match up. Just not Hardonk.

I;m all for giving Lesnar a jiu jitsu guy, just not someone like Mir.

• [...] Brock Lesnar made $250,000 by just showing up, while Mir made $40,000 to show.  Lesnar also had a $200,000 win bonus had he slipped the kneebar [...]