There’s no shame in Brock Lesnar’s game

From Yahoo! Sports:

“There’s no shame in losing,” he said. “I lost my first amateur wrestling match as a kid. My coach told me when I was wanting to quit, that you first have to lose before you learn how not to lose. I don’t like to lose so I have to learn not to lose in this sport.”

“Obviously I’m disappointed, but it was a great experience,” he said. “I must have worked on defending that leglock 1,000 times maybe. I thought I was going to get out.”

“I’m here for as long as I can fight here,” Lesnar said. “I love what I’m doing. The company has been great.”

Lesnar has a great attitude coming off his first loss. If there’s anyone who knows adversity, it’s Lesnar. He was offered no wrestling scholarships coming out of high school after amassing a 33-0 record his senior year and had to work his way up through the junior college ranks before going on to dominate the competition in the Big Ten at Minnesota. Losing one fight in MMA to a guy who could be considered the best heavyweight submission artist in the game is not going to phase Lesnar. It’s hard to imagine that he’ll lose two in a row.

Check out more Brock Lesnar and UFC 81 content on FiveOuncesofPain.com!

• fenrsz says:

“may be the best HW submission artist”

no…just…no…

• Al says:

It’s hard to imagine the UFC will LET him lose two in a row…

• Ivan Trembow says:

I enjoyed how Dave Meltzer’s post-fight report on Yahoo said, “Most of the talk after the match was about Lesnar’s potential to be one of the most dominant heavyweights in mixed martial arts history.”

Wait a minute… what? I could even understand, “Most of the talk after the match was that Lesnar showed huge potential,” but the aforementioned hyperbole is just ridiculous.

• Michaelthebox says:

Why? He was tearing Mir apart with two years of training. He was moving around on the ground like a WW.

Don’t be such a negative nancy.

• Rich says:

fenrsz,

it’s true… aside from Noguiera and mayyyyyybe Monson… name one that’s better than Mir.

• cyphron says:

Nogueira has that title. But Lesnar was impressive in how powerful he is and he pushed Mir around at will. If he learns some JJ defense, he could very well be good.

• BigBad Bradical says:

• HexRei says:

I think congratulating him on his attitude is a little silly. Of course he has a good attitude, he had a reception from the UFC brass the likes of which few 1-0 MMA record fighters have ever had.
    He says the UFC has been wonderful to him- and they have. He knows this loss doesn’t mean much to his record because he could survive in the UFC through quite a few losses on his name recognition and audience draw alone. He has been given a gift that some fighters had to work their entire careers to achieve. He walked into it out of a losing shot at the NFL. Of course he has a “great” attitude.

• Adam Morgan says:

Hex-

He was booed pretty heavily at the weigh ins, before the fight, during his entrance, and after the fight. To keep your cool and admit that you made a silly mistake is showing something. Brock won a lot of people over last night because of how humble he was.

• HexRei says:

“# # 7 BigBad Bradical Says:
    February 3rd, 2008 at 8:57 pm

Lesnar simply showed everyone that he’s going to be the force that has to be reckoned with. W/just his 1st UFC debut, and showing us how athletic he is. . .we will only see Lesnar get better & better. He threw Mir around like nothing. Put some more efficiency w/his game & he’ll be impossible to handle. He was literally caving in Mir’s skull for Christ’s sake. Thank God Mir had the skill to stop it otherwise he’d have been flattened.”

first, check out the definition of “literally” :)

second, those hammerfists weren’t hurting mir much at all until the five or so that brock illegally put on the back of mir’s head. After several dozen of those little strikes (which probably seemed really powerful to a guy who is used to fake fighting) at the end of the fight, Mir had a couple of bruises and a little cut on his forehead.
    Certainly Mir couldn’t stuff Lesnar’s takedowns (but then again, why does a BJJ guy need to stuff takedowns? the guard is where BJJ is strongest against a wrestler) and certainly Lesnar scored points with those hammerfists but basically he exploited the typical weakness of a GnP wrestler.
    Now, if Lesnar could learn clinchwork and dirty boxing like Randy’s, maybe he would be a serious threat.
    That said, I think Lesnar would whoop Sylvia.

• HexRei says:

Hex-

He knew the right things to say, that’s for sure… maybe because he understood why they were booing him? It was a little silly for the current incarnation of the UFC to take an amateur wrestler with a 1-0 mma record (that win against a can with a losing record and no wins against any meaningful opponents) under contract and throw him against a UFC champion. You can’t honestly say he would have been treated the same way had he not been a WWE actor previously.

• JacRabbit says:

Is it just me or was the stoppage for the hammer fists somewhat irregular? Yes he did hit Mir in the back of the head (1 clean time–yes I recorded it), but no warning? Mir was my pick for the match, but realistically, had the ref not jumped in Mir I strongly think we would have seen Mir fold.

• Jiu-Jitsu Guy says:

Jiu-Jitsu RULED THE NIGHT.

Lesnar got owned by a superior fighter. Simple as that.

• Derek B. says:

JacRabbit they are trying to strictly enforce the fighter to understand that you cannot hit in the back of the head. Truely I just don’t think Lesnar knows the complete rules of MMA.

• makeutapout says:

JacRabbit, agreed. I’ve never seen a point deduction get whipped out so fast, but that being said, I kinda got the feeling that if he wasn’t called on it, he would have just kept doing it.

Derek, I think it’s more a lack of discipline, which doesn’t surprise me seeing as it was his first REAL MMA fight. In my opinion he came in 0-0. I mean…. can you even count the first guy? lol I think Brock did real well on his first time out in the big leagues. I expected him to get bitched up out there, but with a little more experience I think he might become a damn good fighter. Surprised the hell outa me, that’s for damn sure. Now he just needs to do something about that big cock on his chest.

• Derek B. says:

Makeutapout

It’s hard for a fighter to really create a good strategy for an opponent that you haven’t ever seen fight before. It’s not like Mir could go to his collection of DVD and pin-point holes in Lesnar’s game. As time goes on people will be able to collect more fight strategy on Lesnar and be able to pick him apart. His lack of experience is what will kill him. I just can’t picture Lesnar becoming a Heavy Weight Title Holder.

• Jiu-Jitsu Guy says:

“It’s hard to imagine that he’ll lose two in a row.”

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. WHAT????

I can imagine Lesnar losing five in a row unless he goes up against a complete scrub. He made a big mistake going against a BJJ black belt. Whoever thought of that as his debut was simply dumb. Mir put him in his place.

“As time goes on people will be able to collect more fight strategy on Lesnar and be able to pick him apart. His lack of experience is what will kill him. I just can’t picture Lesnar becoming a Heavy Weight Title Holder.”

Well said.

• JohnnyRev says:

IMO Mir’s face was pretty lumped up from a minute thirty with big boy. Did he get caught ? fo sure did they take the point fast? absolutely! Is Mir a quality fighter ? no doubt. I think Brock showed very well going against him, Mir is tough as heck to make look bad and Brock was chucking him around. he is gonna get he ground game down , he is in the right place give him time and you will see

• Jackyl says:

He was totally owning Mir. Mir owes this one to Mazzagatti. He saved him with that stoppage. That was total BS. They hit the back of the head all the time and get verbal warnings at least 4-5 times. As a matter of fact I have never seen a point deducted for punching the back of the head.