Kimbo Slice: “Tellin’ my kids there’s no Disney World this year? That’s not happenin’.” (video)

Just yesterday I heard an interview with Alex Marvez of Fox Sports on Steve Cofield’s show and he said that the Tank Abbott vs. Kimbo Slice fight should be “moved to a backyard.”

What is it about Kimbo that drives some people away? If you take a minute to listen to the guy talk you’ll realize that not only is he well spoken but that he’s also taking the sport very seriously. Do you think Bas Rutten and Shawn Tompkins would waste their time with some bum off the street who isn’t going to take the sport seriously? Of course not. Bas Rutten has ten million things going on in his life and he happens to also take time out of his schedule to train Kimbo Slice.

If that doesn’t tell you the guy is serious about the sport then what will? Is he seriously going to have to fight someone like Randy “Handy” Couture or Fedor Emelianenko before people will take him seriously? I’m not asking you to praise him as a worldbeater because he isn’t. We don’t know too much about the guy as an MMA fighter. All I ask is that you give the cat some credit for trying the sport the right way and cleaning up his act. What’s not to like about a rags to riches story? Or are you all just haters?

Check out more Kimbo Slice and Tank Abbott content on FiveOuncesOfPain.com

• scott says:

I’m with you!

• Sam Cupitt says:

I like Kimbo but I’m going to guess Jiu Jitsu guy doesn’t…

I still reckon Streets Certified as a name for an event is just asking for criticism. Can’t they have given it a name like EliteXC: Evolution or EliteXC: Beard.

• HexRei says:

“Handy”? Go back to Sherdog, troll.

• Adam Morgan says:

Hex-

It’s a joke, man. Lighten up a little.

• C.C. says:

Maybe if he fought someone that would present us with the slightest indication of how far his skills have come along, he’d get taken more seriously.

Kimbo’s opponents:

Ray Mercer: 40-something completely washed up ex-boxer

Bo Cantrell: The fishiest looking fight since Taktarov-Macias

Tank: One victory since 1998.

• dmagic says:

Every 1 is expecting kimbo 2 jus go and run mma, i like tha fact that hes fightn nobodys rite now, hes gotta warm up b4 he fights any body with all around skills. look at brock, he did real good but that was a mistake 2 leave his leg open like that, its good 2 hav a big name but better hav a big name and wins under ur belt. jus sayn, kimbo will get his chance elite has sloppy heavyweights any ways

• Lyoto's Lolita says:

“Handy” Couture

LMAO… nogueira, haha.

I agree with you. I’m a new fan of Kimbo and am shocked to see all of the hate spewed all over the mma forums about him. Hopefully he’ll eventually earn everybody’s respect … like Sylvia has finally done. I’m rootin’ for Kimbo big time.

• MMA SKOOL ™ says:

Doesn’t matter if he’ll never be a top 5 fighter… We don’t watch events just to see the title fights… People want a good brawl.

All Kimbo has to do is learn enough skills to protect himself against grapplers and learn to not get gassed, and he will be able to put on some exciting fights for a while.

• JacRabbit says:

“A couple months ago, all the blogs were whining “How come people take Lesnar seriously but not Kimbo?” Guess what? Brock almost beat Frank Mir. Now let’s see Kimbo get presented someone with even a minimal amount of skill. If he can handle that, then he’ll get taken seriously.”

Have you forgotten that Brock is a CHAMPION NCAA wrestler? Kimbo just won street fights in Perrine for cash. If Kimbo was a CHAMPION boxer, we likely would have seen him debut against a big name. Lets be realistic folks, they’re building Kimbo’s MMA skills from scratch. Aside from some gifted talent–they’re giving Kimbo the experience he needs to be successful.

• Paul Hanna says:

kimbo + technique=very very strong fighter

• ctownhood says:

It’s hard not to like a guy like Kimbo. He’s very charismatic , well spoken…oh yeah…and he knocks mo-fos out! In a year or two, he will be a top 5 HW

• Tony Fennen says:

…. Tank is the best test at MMA we have seen for Kimbo to this date.
    I know for a fact Kimbo wants Sean Gannon. I doubt we will ever see that.
    EliteXC’s Heavy division is kinda slim….. Kimbo will be their champ before the year is out.

For me… having met Kimbo, I can relate to him. I too have had somewhat of rags to riches story (okay no riches yet but I am workin on it)

Dream Match Up:::
    KIMBO SLICE vs BROCK LESNAR
    Both new… Both Monsters…

• TLP says:

“Go back to Sherdog, troll”

Wow, look at me. I watch the UFC and I’m condescending.
    I’m on top of the comments, ma!

• THORAZINE says:

Hmmm…. seems like fans on here see Kimbo as a true prospect… I think the guys here at “5 ounces” have a higher IQ then those of other sites.

KIMBO is being brought up perfectly, he will be a big name legitimate fighter, he has raw talent and power, desire. He looks like he can take a hard shot to the head. He has a tremendous work ethic.

What’s not to take seriously about him?

• DamonO says:

Kimbo is well spoken? LMAO, all I have to say “Real talk”. Still think he’s well spoken?

• Jameson says:

Everyone want’s to talk trash saying that Kimbo hasn’t fought anyone yet… I’m going with Tony: lets see Lesnar and Kimbo throw down already.

I’ve been reading around and you can tell that JJ guys hate Kimbo. I often hear that Kimbo wouln’t stand a chance against a real MMA fighter; but here’s the deal — Kimbo comes out with heavy hands and a jaw of steel and while a competitor such as Frank Mir would, in my mind, submit him; it might take him a while to get there. look at Mir vs. Lesnar — Lesnar, was dominating Mir (and I’m a Mir fan btw), and Mir caught him in an x-guard for the kneebar. Great move, but all Lesnar wanted to do was take him down to ground n’ pound him which is where Mir wanted to be. All Kimbo wants is to knock the head off of someone, and as long as he learns how to stuff someones shoot – there’s a good potential he’s going to land a hard shot on someones sweetspot. The guy knows how to take a punch, has good aim, and knows how to overwhelm his opponent. Now I wouldn’t classify Kimbo as a martial artist by any means, but I would by all means consider him a fighter.