Matt Serra: “I believe this is not gonna be a five round fight…”

Let the hype begin for Georges St. Pierre vs. Matt Serra II, ladies and gentlemen. The Bell Centre has almost sold out for UFC 83 and tickets have not even gone on sale to the public yet. Not only are Canadian fans in a frenzy over the UFC, they’re in a frenzy over this fight in particular because it features their hometown boy. You think UFC 77 was “Hostile Territory”? Not even close to what kind of atmosphere the Bell Centre is going to be on April 19th. And to boot, Matt Serra is starting the talk already.

“But I’m a different fighter, I’m gonna pose some different problems, and I’m gonna be game. I don’t want to discredit any other guys – not that I care about discrediting Matt Hughes (laughs) – but there are certain things you have to risk, and a certain mindset you have to have when fighting a guy like Georges. There are guys who want to win either by playing it safe or by just trying to win a decision this way or that way, and that’s not the way to go. I believe this is not gonna be a five round fight – I believe it’s him or me, that’s the way I look at things, and I feel great about it.”

Serra may feel great about it, but I don’t. At least not about his chances of winning. St. Pierre has shown in his last two fights that he can take the best wrestlers in mixed martial arts down to the mat with relative ease and more importantly, keep them there. Serra is not a wrestler like Hughes or Koscheck and should be relatively easier to take down than either of those guys. St. Pierre has the more technical striking of the two fighters but Serra’s heavy hands make it dangerous for any fighter to stand in the pocket and let him wing wild bombs at your face.

St. Pierre needs to take this fight to the ground if he wants to ensure a victory and a unification of the titles. Serra has great jiu jitsu but it’s unlikely that he’ll submit St. Pierre off of his back because St. Pierre’s submission defense and his top control are so good. St. Pierre’s ground and pound is also underrated. He can throw devastating elbows from within an opponent’s guard. That’s the route to victory against Serra. Just look at what Karo Parisyan was able to do on top of Serra and he’s nowhere near the wrestler that St. Pierre is. It’s tough to find an advantage for Serra in this fight even though he beat St. Pierre handily last time around but if he’s going to win this fight he’s going to need to land the wild bomb in the opening moments of the fight or control St. Pierre from the top, which is a huge task unto itself.

Serra’s right, it probably won’t go five rounds. And it probably won’t go in his favor.

I also love how Serra can’t help but take a jab at Matt Hughes whenever he gets a chance. He and Hughes deserve each other, they really do.

Check out more UFC 83 content on FiveOuncesofPain.com

• Cradick says:

St Pierre will simply take Serra down right away, and ground and pound him out much like he did Matt Hughes. Speaking of Hughes, lets get a fight scheduled between Serra and Hughes so we can end that mess…

• john w says:

having met serra and people from his gym i can say hes down to earth and a great person to his fans that respect him as champ not the St. Pierre’s fans that keep making up reasons he lost 5oz gloves low center of gravity with power going to St. Pierre’s chin same result as last time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• garth says:

Matt Serra is my freaking hero. I don’t disagree with Adam’s analysis, necessarily, but I root for the brave underdog most every time.
    And you know what? Before their last fight, as Serra said in interviews afterwards, he never believed he could take St. Pierre to the ground, and trained hands the whole time… I know GSP will be prepared this time around, but that little nugget has to be in his head somewhere…”This guy knocked my ass out last time…can I beat him?”
    All that said, I respect GSP tremendously, and really won’t be sad if he wins. It’s just cool to see the fireplug in there, runnin’ his mouth and plannin’ his game. GO MATT!

PS: Matt Hughes is a douche.

• Sam Cupitt says:

When St. Pierre is focused he’s just freakin scary. When St. Pierre is on song he’s basically the terminator, and unlike Sarah Connor… Serra isn’t going to survive.

It would be pretty hilarious though if Serra just had St. Pierre’s number.

• HexRei says:

WAR SERRA!

• Tommy says:

GSP is strong and one hell of an opponent. Nomatter what I bet Serra puts up a much better fight then Hughes did. His bjj is top notch so he still poses a threat on the ground and we already know he does have the power in his hands to knock him out. I expect fireworks till it’s over, well before the fifth round.

• I love both these guys. Serra calls guys out when they shoot off their mouth and GSP was wrong to admit he lost to the better fight the night of the fight and then 2 months later start making excuses.
    I sometimes question GSP’s mental toughness as he’s backtracked on his bold statements but you can’t question his dominance over the last 2 and half years in the division.

I’m hoping for a great fight and a win by GSP.
    I’m hoping Serra gets and beats Hughes after that too!

• cyphron says:

GSP’s gameplan is going to be exactly like the gameplan he had for Hughes. Take Serra down, GnP him. Rinse, lather, repeat.

• Jay K. says:

I’m not buying the hype on GSP. Sure he’s damn good, in fact, real damn good, but everybody’s got a “puncher’s chance.”

Serra now knows that if he wants to win he’s got to keep it on the feet. GSP now knows to take to the ground. This fight is going at least 3 rounds min.

When GSP toyed with Hughes, you could tell that Hughes was a dead man walking into the ring by his own self admission via his interviews and attitude. That doesn’t take anything away from GSP, but it almost seemed like a formality.

I’m definitely looking forward to see how the two strategies play out of these two men at UFC 83. It’ll be a matter of who reverts back to the gameplan of their prior meeting or it’ll be a whole new ballgame.

Thus a min of three rounds.

I welcome responses.

Jay K.

• Big D D says:

Just like Dennis Hallman has Matt Hughes’ number, and Rampage having Chuck’s number. Serra has GSP’s number, Noone will expect it.

• Big D D says:

And I am a GSP fan! Sorry guys

• Jiu-Jitsu Guy says:

Oh, and Serra knocked his ass out last time.

• Evan says:

From his feet

• Derek B. says:

as much as I hate Serra…I have picked him to win this fight in the first round with a headkick.

I think Serra has what it takes to beat GSP again.

• Matt C. says:

whoa – Serra is gonna win by Headkick? GSP is like 6 inches taller than him. Is that physically possible?

I think Serra will win by a flurry of front/straight kicks. Repeatedly to GSP’s liver.

• Mike Wolfe says:

It’s an even money bet whether the fight even happens. If Serra’s low back is as bad as his comments have suggested, he might not be able to fight.

• Sergio says:

“NEVER underestimate or count out a Gracie Jiu-Jitsu blackbelt. Anyone who does is simply naive and does not respect the ground game. Yes, GSP is a sick all around fighter, but excuse me, Serra is better on the ground.

Oh, and Serra knocked his ass out last time.”

Come off it, man.

GSP is gonna school your little GJJ black belt this time around.

• andy says:

haha i cannot wait to see the bell centre rocking in april.
    anyone who has seen a habs game in that building… my god i can’t even imagine.
    the canadiens fans are insane – fill it with 20 thousand drunk french canadians with GSP in the building… it’ll be lucky to still be standing april 20th!