Keith Jardine thinks he’ll get the next title shot

Should he win his next fight (possibly against Wanderlei Silva), Keith Jardine feels a chance at the UFC light heavyweight championship could be coming his way.

There’s a good chance (Forrest Griffin) wins the fight (with Rampage Jackson) and that means I’m in line to get the next fight,” said Jardine.

Clearly, Jardine will be rooting for Griffin in Griffin’s June title shot against Jackson. Jardine defeated Griffin via TKO in under five minutes when they first fought in December 2006. Since then, Jardine has gone 1-1. Jardine’s loss was a shocking one – a brutal first round KO at the hands of Houston Alexander, but the win was a big one – a September 2007 decision victory over Chuck Liddell.

With consecutive victories over Liddell and Silva (should the fight come about), Jardine may very well be correct in his prediction of a title shot in the Fall of 2008. The other fighters approaching number one contender status are Lyoto Machida (scheduled to face Tito Ortiz in May) and Liddell (scheduled against Mauricio “Shogun” Rua in June).

Most likely, a Liddell victory would earn the former champ a title opportunity but that would likely be held off until the big New Year’s show. That would leave Machida and Jardine as the top guys vying for the fall championship match.

• Rich B says:

I’m legitimately curious here: If Liddell and Jardine fought ten times (now there’s a hell of a Grand Prix…), how many times would Jardine win?

• Mikey Gilz says:

Liddell wins the other 9…… Let’s face it. Jardine was close to finished in the first round against Liddell…. But for some reason, Chuck didn’t finish him in the second round. Every now and then a fighter wakes up. You saw Tim Sylvia wake up in the third round against Vera, just like you saw Liddell wake up again Silva. I think he’s reborn and is ready for another title shot after he beats Rua…….. However, Rampage has Liddell’s number, so he better hope Griffin wins.

• MJC_123 says:

“What! How can Jardine think he’s next in line for a title shot, he didn’t even beat Lidell, he will be lucky if we match him up against Wanderlei.

Come on, if Lidell beats Shogun he is in line for a title shot naturally”

All my love,

Dana White and Joe Silva

• Kelvin says:

Well…I hate to put it on the table Jardine…but Rampage is gonna maul Griffin.

• Sam Cupitt says:

I’m looking forward to Griffin Jackson. May get to see some of Jackson’s slams which would be sweet.

• Danny says:

i think that griffin has really good chance to beat rampage. i love rampage. he’s one of my favorite fighters but griffin may be a better technical striker than rampage

• Kelvin says:

Danny…Griffin lacks the power to cause Rampage any trouble…whereas Rampage could land one good shot on Griffin to put him in DEEP trouble…I see Rampage walking thru a couple of Griffin jabs and teeing off on dude.

• metro says:

I firmly believe that the UFC does not want Jardine anywhere near the title. He didn’t win TUF and is scoring good wins against top level competition. Does he deserve a shot, yes, but he will not see one. Machida will be in before him, probably on the “he hasn’t lost” card (and Machida is excellent technically).

Who would have thought that we would be considering a title fight between Griffin and Jardine at LHW when the classs includes, Page, Liddell, Wandy, Shogun, Machida?

This brings up just a quick question… Does anyone here think that the UFC is failing in their attempts to promote some of the “new guard”? I’m not talking PRIDE guys that have come over, but people who put on exciting fights and never seem to get any credit or real buildup ex. Jardine, Fitch, CLAY GUIDA. Guida is the most exciting fighters I’ve seen in years, and brings it every time, win or lose, yet he really gets little exposure outside of his Huerta fight. Whatcha think?

• Ryan Seacrest says:

Jardine is a chump…..I rest my case.

• TD says:

Sorry Keith but you’re just too lacking in charisma to ever get a title shot. Beating Wanderlei might force the UFC’s hand. But it couldn’t hurt to shave the beard. Just sayin’.

• Ryan Seacrest says:

keith is lucky he even got the decision against liddell. I mean I would have probably scored it a draw considering that chuck stalked him for half the fight. Plus he looks like trailor trash!lol! But seriously I would like to see it resolved by a Liddell JardineII! As far as Ramage and griffin go,… well, shogun ain’t no rampage. He should atleast have to beat Jardine before he gets a title shot. It’s not the same as say chuck beating wanderlei, who is a true champion that stomped the sh!t out of rampage on two occasions. Griffin beating shogun didn’t prove a whole lot to me.

• JCC says:

Isn’t Rashad Evans a legimate contender?

• Jiu-Jitsu Guy says:

“keith is lucky he even got the decision against liddell.”

LOLOLOLOL. I was there and I think Chuck lost.

• Ryan Seacrest says:

Yea you might have been there,but how many beers did you drink! Seriously though, I know Jardine probably deserved the decision. I just like chuck better as a fighter and don’t think jardine would do it again!
    P.S. Split decision means one of the judges agreed with me!

• mofsteel says:

who cares what jardine looks like if he keeps winning fights then he deserves a title shot

• Ryan Seacrest says:

It’s obvious that the more popular fighters will get title shots before people like jardine. I mean come on that’s the only reason forrest gets the title shot next, because the fans like him. After keith knocked him out that should have knocked him way down the ladder! But instead he comes back beats a bum then gets to fight shogun, then gets a title shot?! Plus look at rampage, he comes in the ufc beats one guy(marvin eastman) then gets the title shot against chuck. Want more proof! OK! Brock Lesner comes in the sport with one fight under his belt and gets the co main event on pay-per-view! Oh and dan henderson gets to fight for the middleweight belt right after he fights for the heavyweight belt! It’s just money and politics!

• Danny says:

true. griffin may not have KO power but he’s constantly working. if this fight goes past 3 rounds, its gonna be interesting to see who still has something left in the tank. I’m gonna go with griffin on that one. i’m not pulling 4 griffin but he’s gonna give rampage a whole lotta trouble.

• Ryan Seacrest says:

When it comes right down to it, I want to see forrest win the title. I was just pointing out some injustices of the sport!

• Ryan Seacrest says:

Plus I can’t stand rampage!

• Sergio says:

“But instead he comes back beats a bum then gets to fight shogun, then gets a title shot?!”

Did you just refer to Wanderlei Silva as a bum?

HO-LEE shit, that’s a dumb statement.

• Ryan Seacrest says:

Rashad evens lost to tito ortiz wheather people want to admit that or not! He is not a legitimate contender by any means!

• Ryan Seacrest says:

Hey sergio! Learn how to read! I was talking about Forrest!

• Danny says:

seacrest makes a interesting point here. its like the crocop/gonzaga fight. the ufc was banking on crocop destroying gabe so they could have a huge main event of couture/crocop. but obviously that didnt happen. now the rampage/liddell match was pretty simple formula. liddell had avenged all his losses except one, enter rampage. and i’m sure of the fact that they were expect chuck to avenge that one too. lets face it. they were all drooling of a champ vs champ match of chuck/silva and not rampage/hendo.

• Ryan Seacrest says:

Forrest fighting hector that is

Exactly danny

• Ryan Seacrest says:

Hey sergio read the statement again! I was talking about griffin’s first fight coming off the jardine loss.

• Sergio says:

You’re right, my slip.

• Spartiatis says:

Thiago Silva is undefeated…. if anybody, he deserves a shot.

copy

• cwc says:

Forrest will get mauled by Rampage

• Gary Herman says:

I like Rampage as well in the fight, but it’s hard to disparage Forrest Griffin. Did anyone anywhere (except Brandon Vera and Randy Couture) think Forrest Griffin would survive the first 20 seconds against Shogun?

I don’t know that Forrest is the most deserving contender, but he’ll make for good TV and a big promotion.

• Thomas Whigham says:

Forest is a can’t lose for the UFC. If Rampage crushes him it makes him exciting like when Liddell was running through everyone. If Forest actually wins, which to me seems IMPOSSIBLE, they’d have either a huge rematch or some really great cards to look forward to.

I also think Pride fighters were doping in Japan and shogun came here and couldn’t use em and lost. how else to explain how he’s stronger than Rampage and then Griffin beats that ass?

• Thomas Whigham says:

Griffin couldn’t even knock out stephan bonnar.

• Luna says:

Was I the only one that saw Jardine turn Liddell’s skin color from yellow to red with those tunder kicks? Get off Chucks nutts and be real for a minute

• giantsquid says:

Uh yeah. Jardine owned Liddell. Just because most of you are blowing Chuck doesn’t mean he “can’t” lose. Face the truth. Chuck is, was and always will be overrated. Just because you like a guy doesn’t mean that he should automatically win or be considered above better fighters. Jardine deserves a title shot. Dana White is just a dick that wants the UFC aesthetic, and not true champions. Man, all of you are such front running douche bags that align better with the WWE than UFC. Popularity contest, yeah… thats WWE.