Mir comments on Lesnar’s potential next opponent

Gary Herman from 15rounds.com and FiveOuncesOfPain.com recently conducted an interview on CBSSports.com with UFC heavyweight Frank Mir. It’s an excellent interview that I recommend you check out.

One piece that stood out to me though was Mir commenting on what he thinks should be next for Lesnar:

Q: Seeing that Lesnar didn’t last very long, do you think he is ready for top competition?

Mir: It depends on who he fights. He needs to be more selective on who he fights. He has a great ground-and-pound game, so that will be his strength. He doesn’t need to fight anyone whose strength is to fight off his back. If he fights Gonzaga, Nogueira, myself or Werdum, Lesnar could have trouble. We all fight well off our backs. Even if he’s winning the fight, he’s in a position that at any time we could end the fight. He needs to fight some top-level strikers. Therefore, he’ll only be in danger until he gets the takedown.

The more and more I think about it, the more I feel that Tim Sylvia would be the perfect next opponent for Lesnar. Sylvia’s standup would be a tremendous threat to Lesnar, but if Lesnar put him on his back I don’t think he’d be the same kind of submission threat that Mir, Gonzaga, or Nogueira represent.

Some might argue that the UFC shouldn’t be so ambitious when it comes to their opponent selection for Lesnar, and I agree. However, with the rate they have him contracted for they aren’t in a financial position to throw him a layup. Every time he fights, the match has to sell.

• Sam Cupitt says:

I was on TimSylvias forums the other day and I posted a question asking about his next opponent and he said he hadnt been told one yet but was “hoping to find out after UFC 82″, which would lead me to believe he has his eyes set on a fight with the dude hes wanted to face since UFC 77, Cheick Kongo.

• jt says:

Sylvia is much more reasonable than that God-aweful list you threw out a few weeks back.

• beef fire says:

Tim Sylvia is even too much, Eddie Sanchez would be a much better fight for him.

• Jay says:

Is it me or is Sylvia and Kongo two of the most boring fighters ever? I can’t stand Sylvia’s “I’m waiting to die approach” and would anyone miss Kongo if he never fought again?

• Dan K. says:

Jay I couldn’t agree with you more.

• Chuck says:

so it was “boring” watching him take CroCop apart?

• Mike Rome says:

He was pretty boring in that fight too.

I think with Lesnar having paid off his whole contract with one fight, they may now take it slow. I like the idea of Sylvia, because if Lesnar somehow won it would turn him into a hero immediately.

• Danny says:

BRING IN KIMBO! lol

• Maremagnum says:

Yes, Chuck, it was tedious to watch Kongo lay Crocop against the fence and pound his nuts into oblivion.

• Ian says:

I said this directly after the Mir fight. I knew Mir would sub Lesnar in about a minute, but Sylvia wouldn’t get out of the first with Lesnar. There’s no way he can avoid Brock’s takedowns, and once on the ground, I think Lesnar would GNP for an easy victory.

I believed it then and I believe it now.

Oh, and this fight would sell.

• platypus says:

kevin jordan , caremello morerro?

cant spell

• Gina Pesaresi-Jones says:

Oh, Morerro would be good. But isn’t he a jui-jitsu guy too? He’d probably be better with a banger like Sylvia or Eddie Sanchez.

• THORAZINE says:

Right after UFC 81, I was saying the same thing. ..

Lesnar VS Sylvia.

Sylvia’s big edge against fighters is his takedown defense and out striking his opponents with his reach… once he’s taken down he’s easy pickins’….

Lesnar should have little problem getting through Slyvia’s strikes and will have the ultimate, explosive, strength and ability to immediately take Slyvia down.

Lesnar will win by TKO GnP style.