So you want to be an Ultimate Fighter?

This is an official mailing that came out today on behalf of Tito Ortiz. Very unusual stuff:

CASTING: SETTLE YOUR ARGUMENT UFC STYLE!

SETTLE YOUR ARGUMENT UFC STYLE!New TV Show Starring TITO ORTIZ is Looking For You!!!!Do you have a beef with someone and tried everything to solve it but can’t? Did your best friend steal your girl? Did your old roommate shaft you on your rent? Did you have a falling out with your best friend and have no way to solve it?Also looking for competitive friends or friends with a problem they need to solve and the only way to do it is to fight it out!

UFC Champion Tito Ortiz is going to train you to battle out your problems in the Octagon!! We are looking for ALL SHAPES AND SIZES to walk into the ring and settle it once and for all!!!!

Both of you would need to come down and audition in our Hollywood studio, so you must live in southern California!

Casting ASAP email UFCshowcasting@gmail.com with a phone number and picture

*$1000 each if picked for the show, and prize on top of that to the winner!!*

It’s hard to really know what to make of this. The idea does seem far-fetched. However, I’ll hold off judgment until I learn more. Tito is definitely a great marketer, but here are just a lot of questions on the show: Will a network get behind the venture? Will real people want to participate? Is this a one day course? Will this be filmed for a weekly series? Will it be Internet only?

Hopefully, we’ll get some more answers soon.

• mike wolfe says:

It’s worse than a move to pro wrestling. The Huntington Beach Bad Boy becomes Jerry Freakin’ Springer.

• Sam Cupitt says:

Anyone else remember when the UFC and Spike resigned and they spoke of another weekly show like the Ultimate Fighter they would run in 09?

I doubt this is it, but its a thought.

• Gary Herman says:

I believe the weekly show they wanted to run was something similar to ESPN’s Friday Night Fights – showing one or two live fights a week. Dana White was always a big boxing fan.

• Shannon says:

Come on, UFC Champion? if they said former maybe. And UFCshowcasting@gmail.com? Definatly a hoax.

• Sam Cupitt says:

Yeah that rings a bell.

• Gary Herman says:

Hmm.. what is interesting though is the name of the e-mail address – UFCshowcasting@gmail.com? I wonder if there is some sort of violation using UFC all over the release..

• bigfish042 says:

Something is up with the repeated use of the UFC. Dana would sue his own family if they used the name. But, Tito who he hates keeps on referring to anything fight related as UFC-related.

There is definitely something fishy goign on. With all the lawsuits lately, Tito can not be dumb enough to use something that will get his ass sued

• Patrick says:

This is a terrible idea.

• ufcfan says:

i could see tito wanting to do something like this

BUT

i agree that the use of “UFC Champion” and the repeated use of UFC
    leads me to believe this is a sham

• hindsightufuk says:

if true it sounds fucking shit

• Evan says:

This type of show has been done and failed a few times on MTV and I think even spike had one.

He’s pushing for a lawsuit…he wants to get sued to get his name out there some more so he seems like a victim.

• Phreak says:

Well, it’s certainly not reinventing the wheel here. If anybody’s watched the low-rent swingfest called So You Wanna Fight, it is quite similar to what’s proposed but without dramatic backstory. In this case, it appears to be MMA instead of just boxing.

I’m sure with enough media hype and marketing dollars, some network is bound to carry it. However, I just wouldn’t want to see it cheapen the legitimacy of MMA as a sport. I am on board with recruiting and educating new fans on MMA, but I almost feel that this will attract the bloodsport crowd as opposed to those that will truly enjoy the technical aspect of it.

I personally believe I would not enjoy this past watching the first episode out of curiosity. However, I will reserve judgement until it’s all out of the table.

• Patrick says:

Wait, scratch my belief that it’s a terrible idea.

I would love to absolutely destroy someone I dislike who has no combat sports experience at all. Sign me up! Oh wait… it’s in Cali, forget it, shit idea.

Tito is a moron if this is true.

• woooburn says:

maybe they will handle it like the paternity tests on maury.

TITO: “you are NOT the fighter”

• Jaeger says:

#7 I couldn’t agree more.

UFC is used WAY too much in this email.

The use of Octagon is a very dangerous one, if this were a legit idea.

and finally. Let be real. anything handled by Zuffa and or a legit television company is not going to use F’N GMAIL for it’s casting call.

UFCshowcasting (at) gmail BWHAAHAHAHAHA Laughable

• jj says:

When will the reality tv bullshit end?

PLEEEEEEASE make it stop!

• alex says:

From what the article said, I don’t like the idea…thats all we need is people fighting each other over silly things that could be solved other ways. This is not a positive thing for MMA especially when the participants aren’t trained well enough. Maybe I will watch this when I check out Never Back Down, ha!