Wanderlei Silva will sign agreement to fight Keith Jardine at UFC 84

According to Wanderlei Silva’s personal blog, he is signing the bout agreement to fight Keith Jardine at UFC 84. MMA Weekly has the translation from Silva’s blog:

“I’m leaving right now to sign the Jardine fight contract and you are the first ones to know officially,” said Silva on his website on Friday. “I am starting to train hard again to be able to get the victory.”

“This week I went to talk to (Randy) Couture and I’ve asked him to be my new coach. He was very happy with my wish and he will teach me some wrestling. I’ll be doing the fighting training with his athletes in a time where everybody train together.”

So there you have it. Looks like we can stop speculating now as it looks like this fight is almost a certainty. Certainly another good fight to look forward to and it’s no cupcake fight for either guy. It will be interesting to see how Jardine’s kicks will affect Wanderlei’s game during the fight. Will they have the same effect that they did on Chuck Liddell?

Liddell is a guy that likes to reset and then let his hands go and Jardine’s kicks always made him stop and reset. With Wanderlei, he has a style where he comes right at you so he may be willing to eat a lot of kicks in order to close the distance on Jardine. Let’s also not forget that Jardine was manhandled in the clinch by Houston Alexander. Silva’s clinch game is lightyears ahead of Houston’s.

• trench says:

Even as a longtime Wand fan I would give a slight edge to Jardine in this one. Keith is coming off the biggest win of his career whilst Wand is on the tail end of a 3 fight losing streak. That said I think Liddell was a worse matchup for Wand on paper than Jardine and he did much better than I expected against him.

Should be another great fight regardless of the outcome.

• Zane says:

I have to give the edge to Wanderlei here, not so much because of how the styles match up but the fact he is comin off 3 straight losses. BTW, has any fighter ever had a tougher string of four fights? Cro Cop, Hendo, Liddell, and now Jardine? Thats insane. But I can see Wanderlei ending this one in the 2nd round via left hook that will put Jardine on his ass. And after Chuck beats Shogun, the rematch might not be in decemeber, but instead like a year from now for the belt, after chuck beats rampage on NYE. Crazy talk i know just specualting

• paddiosf says:

First of all Chuck will never beat Rampage, I see it happening only if Rampage goes in over confident or having the belt makes him comfortable like when Chuck had it…But with Silva who is my all-time favorite fighter is in a must win position with this matchup…Jardine has a huge size advantage, I’m not that confident Wanderlei will be able to clinch Jardine…he couldn’t with Liddell…

• Michaelthebox says:

Zane: GSP faced Trigg, Sherk, Penn, Hughes in one stretch, which is a similar murderers row.

• italiano says:

its gonna be a great fight, but my money would be on silva. jardine fought well against chuck, but i think it was keith catching chuck on a bad day. chuck wasnt mentally ready to fight. wandy has fought much tougher guys and has way more experience than jardine, so im bettin on wandy putting jardine down.

• Tbone says:

Hmmm, I’m surprised Jardine would move down to 185 to fight Wand. Not smart, but more power to him. Wand will clinch this fool and knee his face off. Sorry Keith, but you should stay at 205. I don’t mean to sound like a know-it-all but I am on top of everything UFC these days and am only letting him know what’s best for him.

Go Wand! Training w/ Randy and his boys should turn this monster into a …uh, well, an even bigger monster. Lawlz.

PeacE yalz,

Tbone is out

• mike wolfe says:

Silva matches up better with Jardine than Liddell did. Liddell is a counter puncher until he thinks the other guy is hurt, and that allowed Jardine to kick from distance. Silva always forces the action and closes, which is a better way to fight Jardine. Advantage to Silva, imo.

• slimm says:

keith imo doesnt like the fight being brought to him, he likes to do the stalking, well i believe that will not be the case because as always wanderlei is going to bring the fight, that is what he does….. keith has a hard time with people that attack him, (ie houston), now i like jardine he is tuff mf, yet wand has lost three fights in arow, cc hendo liddell, now i believe that keith had a good fight against liddell but really who can win all three of those fights no matter how good you are percieved to be…… hopefully wanderlei brings pain and wins by tko mid second round, just my opinion

• Adam Morgan says:

Tbone-

This fight will be at 205, not 185. Wand hasn’t officially made a decision to drop to 185. I would imagine if he loses to Jardine then we’ll definitely see a drop.

• Rich says:

Win or lose.. Wandy definately needs to make the move to MW…

• Rich says:

“I am on top of everything UFC these days”

but you didn’t know the fight was gonna be at LHW??

haha..

no offense, bro…

• slimm says:

Rich, i believe as well that wand should move to mw, if he does do so, and hendo wins against spyder and wand wins against jardine how soon does wand get a title show after one or two wins at that level or do u just give him a chance to get one back from hendo, asap? i believe if andeson wins wand wont get a title shot anytime soon and they probably wouldnt fight anyways because they once were teamates and to knowledge are still friends….

• nate says:

yesss. go Wandi

• Rich says:

well.. if Wand moves to Mid weight … and Hendo DOES get the belt.. and Wandy DOES beat JArdine.. i don’t think he should get the immediate title shot.. i mean .. he might.. but.. they should give him a tune-up fight..

i mean… i think they should’ve given Hendo a tune-up fight to be honest.. i think it’s ridiculous that he can go from losing in a LHW title bout.. straight to competing in a MW title bout.. although.. we know he’s one of the best..

i just think.. that Wandy needs to beat Jardine.. move to MW.. and have a tune-up match, against a high level opponent at MW before a title shot…

and i agree in the sense that it will take Wandy longer to obtain the title shot if Anderson remains champ than it would if Hendo got the belt.. simply because of the story..

• slimm says:

good points, i agree, perhaps if he does move to mw his “tune up” fight to begin with should be against bisbing, or franklin, those possible fights would be fun to watch, hopefully all of these up~coming fights are as good as they seem to be on paper….. thx again for your thoughts

• JacRabbit says:

Agreed with slim–a “tune up” fight with either bisbing or franklin would make for a good watch. i personally think bisbing is overrated and wouldn’t mind seeng wand pouncing on that.

• Mike Wolfe says:

I think Jardine is a good match for Silva at this point. They both need some additional cred. Easier fights won’t help either, although I’m not suggesting that Franklin would be easy. Silva would have to move down in weight to fight Franklin at middleweight. I don’t think Franklin’s moving up.