Matt Lindland signs with…someone

According to MMA Weekly, Matt Lindland has signed a three fight contract with a new MMA promotion yet to be named:

He dispelled rumors that he had signed with the new Dream promotion in Japan, saying, “I’ve never talked to them. I actually did sign a contract (Friday) with another company, though.”

Because of the sensitive nature of the promotion he has signed with, Lindland stopped short of saying who the new company is.

“I’m kind of holding off. I sent an email saying, ‘when can we make announcements?’ I can tell you I signed a very nice contract for three fights within the next twelve months,” he informed.

Lindland also had to take a parting shot at the UFC and their payscale:

“Everybody makes a big deal about not fighting in the UFC. I can tell you, I signed a contract and my first fight I’m going to make more than I made in like six fights in the UFC,” he stated. “The most I ever made in the UFC with the win bonus and the show money was $36,000. “

Lindland is one of the best middleweight fighters in the world and the UFC either couldn’t or wouldn’t nab him up. I know Lindland isn’t the most exciting fighter in the world but then again, neither is Yushin Okami, right?

I hope Lindland has chosen wisely when deciding which promotion to put his trust into. There are so many nickel and dimers in this business who will use fighters, not pay them, ask them to fight for free and tear up their contracts on the spot and “agree” to be paid later (see: WCO), or people who don’t know how to manage any kind of money at all. There’s a new MMA promotion starting every other day who either have one show and fade away into obscurity or never even have a show at all. For Lindland’s sake I hope he’s found a company with a solid foundation.

• Zane says:

Adam, I think it might be American Fight League.

• Adam Morgan says:

Zane-

Really? Any reason? Just wondering.

• Evan says:

What he made in the UFC was a long time ago and technically doesn’t he still have fights with Bodog?

• Sam Caplan says:

Evan, he had a non-exclusive with Bodog and then my understanding is that Bodog said they had no immediate plans on booking him. I also had heard he even asked for a full release at one point. I’m not sure whether he got one, but several fights were let out of their contracts after Bodog changed their marketing strategy.

• Evan says:

I would think that is part of the reason the UFC wouldn’t sign him.

• Evan says:

sorry my screen refreshed for some reason. Firefox has a mind of it’s own sometimes.

To continue…

I would think that is part of the reason the UFC wouldn’t sign him. Nobody gets UFC contracts unless you are 100% free from another org.

• Tommy says:

Yes he is an increadible fighter. Talented at fighting and boring fans. I’m willing to bet whichever company it was, will be as sorry as Bodog was at their acquisition of The Law. No fans means no money, nomatter how good you are.

• Captain says:

Didn’t Lindland already get burned by the WFA or was that just a one fight deal to fight Quinton?

• Jackson says:

Didn’t anyone actually read the MMAWeekly story?

It says:

It is not yet known under what name the new promotion will operate, but indications are that its first event will take place in June in Las Vegas.”

Would you really consider Afflication or Golden Boy Promotions (Oscar De La Hoya) nickel and dime operations? I know neither has done an MMA show, but both are pretty successful companies.

• Gygax says:

MMAWeekly is reporting the following about the new promotion Lindland signed with.

“Though Lindland would not divulge his new employer’s identity, multiple MMAWeekly sources have confirmed that Affliction – a popular clothing company – is a primary partner in the deal. Sources also indicated that Affliction’s partner in the new promotion is Oscar De La Hoya’s Golden Boy Promotions.”

I agree with the earlier poster about when Lindland competed in the UFC. No one made any money of any sort at that time. And while Yushin Okami does have a very similar style, he’s not nearly as opinionated and disruptive as Lindland has been. That combined with White’s ego, its obvious why Lindland has not gone back to Zuffa.

• d-train says:

doesn’t couture own a large portion of affliction?

• Rln says:

“technically doesn’t he still have fights with Bodog?”

Lindland said that BoDog breached his contract and he was done with them. I must say that I find it a little humorous that he’s comparing $$ from a contract in 2005 and one in 2008. I think it’d be more relevant to compare his new contract against the likes of what Franklin, Silva and Hendo are pulling in for their fights.

• Evan says:

“Lindland said that BoDog breached his contract and he was done with them”

Randy

“I find it a little humorous that he’s comparing $$ from a contract in 2005 and one in 2008″

I agree!

• gg says:

WVR?

• DeezNuts!!! says:

DeezNuts On Yo Chin Lindland,Sign A Contract Already!!!!

• Tanner says:

SO we’re going to have promotions popping up signing one highly ranked fighter and pimping him out to other organizations. M-1 has only signed fedor, i mean its pretty likely these guys will sign some other people but i bet there first show is co promotion with m-1 or some shit

• garth says:

Tanner: maybe we’ll be lucky enough to see Fedor-Lindland 2.

ugh