Does Kim Couture deserve this much exposure? Damn right she does!

kim-couture1.jpg

I agree with Steve Cofield on a lot of things, but not everything.

I’m late to the party with this, as I believe Steve posted this last week, but I still think it is relevant as Kim Couture’s amateur Muay Thai match is slated to air on HDNet on Friday.

Steve, like many others, is questioning the amount of attention the UFC heavyweight champion’s wife is getting in regard to her debut:

Is anyone going to watch this Kim Couture fight? She speaks on HDNet’s InsideMMA along with Gina Carano.

Congrats to Randy’s wife, Kim, for trying her hand in the fight game. From a purity standpoint, aren’t there 100s of women who have legit accomplishments in the ring/cage who deserve the TV/online time? We assume she’s equipped to handle a real fight and it doesn’t go the way of Johnny Morton’s debut. Morton was only given a spot on an MMA card based on his name.

Cofield makes a valid point but I don’t begrudge Kim Couture. Nobody is holding a gun to HDNet’s head telling them they have to televise the Xtreme Couture smoker. Mark Cuban’s high-definition network has made it very clear they’d like to televise as much MMA as possible. Randy Couture’s wife making her fighting debut is noteworthy and if you’re able to televise it, why not?

There are a great many more women more deserving of the exposure, but has Kim Couture said anything to the contrary? And at the end of the day, is Kim Couture fighting not a great thing for female MMA? Female MMA has come a long way but it still has a lot of respect to earn in the minds of many MMA fans. The exposure and attention that a high-profile participant such as Kim Couture can bring to female fighters is not a bad thing.

CLICK HERE TO READ THE REMAINDER OF THIS ARTICLE ON SAM CAPLAN’S PROELITE.COM BLOG

• Brandt says:

I think Fightlinker said it best – they hope that her opponent is Dana White with a blonde wig. Haha.

• Tommy says:

This is all Mrs. Ricky Bobby ever wanted, her own limelight. I hope she gets her nose broke and pops an airbag, or both.

• Sam Caplan says:

I love how people judge Kim Couture’s character when they’ve never met her. We know very little about who she is as a person yet people are making all kinds of assumptions.

• Evan says:

I like seeing unique stuff like this. HDNet is a must have and you do not need a HDTV to get it. Just a HD DVR.

• Tommy says:

If Randy lost to Fedor, Kim would be married withen the year to Fedor calling her marriage to Randy a farce. Seriously, would anyone care if she wasn’t Randy’s wife? Trying to look like Gina ass.

• Tommy says:

Hey Sam, go back and watch the Couture vs Gonzaga fight. Watch after the fight how she runs to the cage and puts her face (or tries to) in everyones to get seen and noticed, Randy Dana & Rogan’s And even the cameras. I told my wife then, watch and see, she’ll cause trouble here real soon. To know nothing of someones character I called that one easy. Although she did cause trouble faster then I thought possible, so I give her credit there. As far as her being a fighter, if there were 51 female fighters in the world she wouldn’t be in the top 50. Yeah she deserves all this coverage, your right of course.

• Jiu-Jitsu Guy says:

Who cares about this woman? Give publicity to those that deserve it. She does not.

• Mike Wolfe says:

I’m not interested in women fighters in general. They don’t have the upper body strength that men have, and don’t have unique skills. I don’t have anything against them, but I don’t see the point. Kinda like light beer.

• Rln says:

“Randy Couture’s wife making her fighting debut is noteworthy and if you’re able to televise it, why not?”

Lol @ calling her debut noteworthy. Please remind us of why it is so noteworthy. I’m sure her resume is chocked full of accomplishments making her worthy of this attention, no??

• Tommy says:

My question is, How is Kim fighting on HDnet a great thing for women’s mma? What do we know about her fighting talent besides her sleeping with Randy. Gotta be a battle to sleep next to those ears. Can he inject his spirit into her or something? She goes out and gets hurt we will see how good it is, and if she wins, which I’m sure she will after handpicking the opponent, who really cares? I got hdnet and I won’t even bother to record or watch the ‘event’.

• uh huh says:

I don’t want to attack her character- she is doing what anybody would do if given the chance. However, I just pray she does not go the way of Laila Ali. Seeing what happens in the near future based on her winning OR losing will prove her character.