Exclusive: Eddie Alvarez to fight Andre Dida in first round of DREAM lightweight Grand Prix

img10578744.jpgEddie Alvarez confirmed to FiveOuncesOfPain.com (www.FiveOuncesOfPain.com) on Thursday afternoon that he has signed a contract to participate in DREAM’s lightweight Grand Prix.

DREAM, a collaborative effort between K-1′s HEROS and former staff members of PRIDE, will begin its tournament on March 15 in Japan. Alvarez stated that he is scheduled to fight Andre “Dida” Amade on that date during the tournament’s first round.

“The fight is 100 percent,” began Alvarez. “I just got a call from my manager, Monte Cox, everything is underway. Everything is approved and I will be heading over there (Japan) on the 10th to fight in the lightweight Grand Prix. I’m excited.”

Alavrez, who signed a three fight agreement with EliteXC in January, will be competing in DREAM with the promotion’s blessing.

“Monte (Cox) talked it over with EliteXC and EliteXC was happy to work with DREAM,” Alvarez responded when asked if special permission was needed to compete in a tournament that could require Alvarez to fight on three separate DREAM shows. “I’m sure they want to do business with them in the future so I’m sure they are more than happy to lend me over and let me do the fight.”

While Alvarez wasn’t positive as to when he would be fighting in the States again, he did indicate that a May date for a tentative EliteXC show in Atlantic City was possible. However, Alvarez was quick to add that he’s focused almost solely on making sure he advances into the second round of the DREAM tournament and that he has been training three times a day to ensure he can meet the lightweight requirements of 154 pounds.

• platypus says:

????

wow this is shaping up to be one of the best tournaments of all time.

• platypus says:

wow this is shaping up to be one of the best tournaments of all time.

• robnashville says:

Ha….. they are gonna fuck shaw over, he just doesn’t know it yet… kinda like Dana got zilch for sending over Rico and Chuck for the 2003 GP show…

• Evan says:

“kinda like Dana got zilch for sending over Rico and Chuck for the 2003 GP show…”

And allowing Wandy to stand in the Octagon wearing a PRIDE shirt when he decided he wanted to “Fuck Chuck:.

• Adam Morgan says:

This tourney is definitely going to be bangin’.

• Kogepan says:

Awesome. DREAM LW roster is already WAY better than the UFC.

• Jeremy says:

I am really excited for the LW GP, it should be very good. Certainly should be interesting to see how Alvarez does against Dida. I would have to go with Dida at this point but I think Alvarez has a outside shot at least.

• Evan says:

Does anyone know exactly what is going on with Bodog?

• Adam Morgan says:

Evan,

I think they’re just like..uhh..”presenting” things now. Like Strikeforce at the Dome was BodogFIGHT Presents Strikeforce at the Dome. Whatever that means.

• Evan says:

Which means they can’t afford payroll so they need someone else to co-produce events.

Bodog: Hey um…please co-pay the main event and 1 or 2 other fights since we can’t afford it and you can put your name on it!
    Strikeforce: ok cool!

Which while I love orgs cross promoting at some point an event has to be able to stand on it’s own. Otherwise they are not orgs…just a unique MMA term for promoters like Don King.

Like M-1…the Fedor rental service.

• [...] EliteXC has agreed to allow Eddie Alvarez to compete in the DREAM lightweight grand prix that is being held in Japan on March 15, according to FiveOuncesOfPain.com. [...]

• Ram Maramba says:

I’m hyped. The other unbooked hopefuls for the GP were pretty big-time, getting Alvarez in on the action and matching him up with Dida is off the charts. War K-1/DSE cyborg zombie promotion!

• Vilmar BRASIL says:

O ANDRÉ DIDA VAI NOCAUTEAR NO 1° ROUND…

DIDA WIN FIRST ROUND BY KO !!!

ADIOS MUCHACHOS….