Roy Nelson calls out Fedor

It’s hard not to like Roy Nelson. The guy has been a quote machine the past few months. But his best work might have been after his successful defense of the IFL heavyweight title in which he knocked out Fabiano Scherner in the first round.

Instead of saying he’ll fight whoever his employer wants him to fight next, Nelson named names. And he named a big one by calling out none other than Fedor Emelianenko.

“I would love that fight,” Nelson responded when asked about Fedor by Adam Hill of the Las Vegas Review-Journal. “But I doubt they would want Fedor to lose before he fought Randy (Couture), so I doubt I’d get that fight.”

I’m all for a Nelson vs. Fedor fight. It would be Fedor’s first legitimate challenge in several years.

• Nick says:

I have only seen nelson fight once, but I am not sure i would call a fight with Nelson “legitimate”. That would probably a murder scene waiting to happen.

• Ryan M says:

seriously? A legitimate contender….Roy Nelson? I have seen Roy fight live 3 diff. times. I have talked with him and watched him train also. He would get tooled by Emelianenko Fedor. Come on bro. and I don’t ride Fedor’s dick, I think he would get beat by a lot of people, just no one like Big Country.

• Derek B. says:

Roy Nelson is nowhere near the level which Fedor is at.

This fight to me isn’t one I’d like to see. I thought Fedors last fight was very legitimate. I can honestly say that I don’t think that alot of heavy weight fighters would have taken on Choi…expecially at heavy weight considering he came in as a super heavyweight. Fedor has proven all he needs to prove to the world. He should persue the fight with Randy and call it quits.

If anything I’d say let Alexander fight Roy Nelson to prove that he doesn’t want to get into the ring with his older brother fedor.

• ctownhood says:

Nelson has YouTube right? He may want to watch Fedor dismantle some quality opponents, and reevaluate his statement. That being said, Fedor is becoming more legend than fighter by not taking legitimate fights and signing with 3rd rate organizations.

• Ryan M says:

Sam, if your reading this–why do you think Nelson Vs. Fedor would be a good fight? Let alone a legitimate fight? Just wondering bro, I just don’t get it, I’d like to hear your reasoning.

• hankd says:

Nelson legit? Come on now…lmao

• Derek B. says:

Let Nelson fight Choi then I’ll be more in tune to watching a fight between him and Fedor.

• Tommy says:

Nelson is just trying what everyone else is trying to do and that’s hype up his own name (and company) by calling out one of the greats. How can anyone in their right mind think this would even be a fight much less a legitimate challenge? Nelson couldn’t even beat Rothwell! In fact just saying that proves the utter lack of quality fighters Fedor’s fought in the past several years. Fedor is being managed to death by his managers. they already managed him right out of the #1 p4p spot and soon the #1 HW spot. Dana takes flack all the time from you guys but what about Fedor’s managers?

• Derek B. says:

Fedor’s management is smart. They are going after the big money. Why settle down for the small bucks and fight under 1 org when you can fight under different orgs and get paid more than any other fighter?

They are taking the boxing route to fighting MMA.

• Grape Knee High says:

Is Roy Nelson related to Half Nelson and Full Nelson?

• Evan says:

“Fedor’s management is smart”

“They are taking the boxing route to fighting MMA.”

So you think boxing is in a healthy state eh?

• Derek B. says:

Evan Boxing is still putting people in the seats aint it?

• Evan says:

For the massive shows, yes. If you want MMA to take on the inner workings of boxing then I suppose this is a good direction.

• DRizzle says:

The article is correct in saying it “would be Fedor’s first legitimate challenge in several years.” That statement is 100% accurate! Some of you morons have probably never seen Roy Nelson fight. Nelson is one bad MF, no doubt.

• Derek B. says:

I’ve seen Nelson’s fights. You have to question his cardio against the russian.

• Tony Fennen says:

Roy Nelson is a C Level fighter.

Fedor is among only a hand full of A level fighters.

Roys got mad heart and I have seen the guy take a clubbing and keep on coming…. but he wouldnt last 2 rounds with Fedor.

Fedor by submission round 2

• Evan says:

Fedor is among only a hand full of A level fighters.”

Well..the argument people have against Fedor is that he hasn’t proved it in a while. I know people say he has nothing left to prove which is true in the historical sense but not in modern standings..you can’t have it both ways. Everything has changed so much lately.

• Eric says:

People will make an argument against Fedor no matter who he fights. He could beat Randy Couture next year and all of the sudden people would say he’s just 45 or 46 and past his second prime.

Maybe Barnett. But outside of that people with an agenda will find a reason why he’s not to be as respected.

I remember bashing Hunt after he beat Cro Cop and people were ranking him in the top 5 world HWs. All of the sudden when Fedor beat him and time passed those same people were saying Hunt was just a SHW with less than 10 fights. You can label a fighter anything you want according to your agenda.

• Evan says:

“People will make an argument against _______ (name any fighter) no matter who he fights”

A little edit. :)

• cyphron says:

Hunt got beat by Yoshida of all people. Beating a ground-game less Mark Hunt is no great credit to Fedor. He’s just a better version of HMC.

Fedor’s management loves to put him up against favorable match ups like that. I think we can all agree now that beating Cro Cop is no great accolades. Every single HW in the UFC who has beaten Cro Cop quickly loses their next fight. There’s parity right now in the HW division. There really isn’t a great dominant fighter like in the other divisions.

• Rich says:

i read the title: Roy Nelson Calls out Fedor

and i was seconds from pissing myself..
    i was laughing sooo hard..

and then i went on to read: “I’m all for a Nelson vs. Fedor fight. It would be Fedor’s first legitimate challenge in several years”

hahaha..

ooooh man.. Nelson would get worked..

• Rich says:

i’ll agree w/ #18

i mean.. how much more does Fedor have to show??
    i know he could be putting on bigger shows right now.. but.. look at the past..

he’s beaten:
    Big Nog
    Hunt
    Cro Cop
    Coleman
    Lindland
    Randleman
    Goodridge
    so on and so forth..

i mean.. are those not some of the best HW/LHW’s in the world??

and whether you’re for or against a Fedor/Nelson match.. we all know at the end of the night… Nelson would be going to the hospital.. and Fedor would be getting his hand raised..

the only person alive right now.. that could maybe beat Fedor.. i mean, stand even the smallest chance in the world.. is Randy.. and i really do think he would lose..

• epitaxy says:

This sam caplan guy really has it in for Fedor, or doesn’t know anything about mma.

Either way, I don’t get why people think fighting under a particular mma promotion (zuffa) makes a fighter better. Who hasn’t Fedor fought that is significant? Barnett, and Couture, maybe Arlowski. All three of these showdowns are looking very possible.

Why doesn’t someone ask “who has anderson silva fought”? Well, he just fought henderson, but that was the only legit advanced fighter he has beat. He hasn’t beat Shamrock, Kang, Filho, Akiyama, Lindland, any of these preeminent MWs.

• Sam Caplan says:

“What is Sam Caplan’s problem? I look at his top ten and think “this guy’s on zuffa’s payroll.” Is he? No. But that makes his leaning far more contemptuous.”

This is one of the most ignorant statements I’ve read in this comments area.

People, it’s time to start arguing based on the merits of a statement made and stop making ridiculous accusations about people.

If you don’t agree with something someone said, feel free to debate it on the merits of what has been said. Do not introduce ridiculous conspiracy theories that call someone’s integrity into question. When you resort to such lame statements you’re essentially saying, “I can’t make a relevant argument, so let me try to discredit it by throwing some mud.”

Epitaxy, in order to be top ten, you need to beat fighters who are either in the top ten of on the cusp of it. Fedor hasn’t fought a top contender since 2005 so some might say (and have said) that I have him ranked too high.

Your statement claiming that Henderson is the only legit, advanced fighter that Anderson Silva has beaten makes it impossible for me to take anything you say seriously. Silva beat Rich Franklin twice and Nathan Marquardt. Franklin is without question a legit, advanced middleweight while Marquardt is absolutely a borderline top ten fighter in the world rankings. To try and argue otherwise is just wrong.

Fedor hasn’t fought Arlovski, Barnett, Couture, Sylvia, Aleksander Emelianenko (hey, if you’re going to complain that Silva hasn’t fought Filho, we might as well throw Fedor’s brother into the mix), Rothwell, Antonio Silva, the list goes on and on.