Chuck Liddell wants rematch with Jardine

Chuck Liddell wants to give Keith Jardine the first shot at the title, should he win it back, according The Sun:

“Of course I’d consider a rematch with him – that’s one of the things I really want to do. I want to get back and settle that, I was off that night, I wasn’t quite me at UFC 76. I don’t know if he’s someone who can get into title contention – we’ll see what happens – but if I’ve got the title then for sure, I’m going to ask for him. When I get the title back I’m going to ask for a fight against him. I’m going to give him a shot at it.”

Them’s fightin’ words. Chuck doesn’t even know if Jardine’s a guy who could get into title contention? C’mon, Chuck. He beat you, right? I think that automatically puts him into the title picture. He may not be the number one contender or anything right now, but to question whether or not he can get to that status is a little crazy. He might want to be a little more focused on the task at hand, a fight with Rashad Evans who is a teammate of Jardine, than talking about who he’s going to ask for when he gets the title back. Personally, I don’t see Chuck taking the title back so this is all moot.

• Danny says:

I dont think Chuck should get a shot as long a rampage is champ. rampage beat him decisively, twice.

• I don’t know, this sort of an overanalysis, which I understand is necessary in order to keep the updates coming, strikes me as you reading too much into things.

There’s nothing that indicates he needs to be more focused on Jardine, a guy could be training perfectly 24/7 for one oppenent and then answer a question honestly about what he’d like to do down the road, they’re not mutually exclusive and it’s not necessarily indicative of him taking anyone lightly.

And if he think he had an off night against Jardine I could also see him questioning Jardine’s impact on the title picture, Honestly? I don’t see Jardine getting there. That could be wrong but it’s not unreasonable. Plus, he’s probably just being a dick on purpose.

This is just me quibbling, though. I’m a big fan of this site. Keep up the great work.

• Kelvin says:

I agree with Danny.

• I meant focused on Evans, not Jardine, in the second paragraph.

I’m an idiot.

• Zack says:

Yeah, but one of those fights was 5 years ago in a tournament in japan under different rules and organization. I bet 3% of the MMA fanbase even knows about that fight. Don’t think for a second they won’t give Chuck a shot at the title.

That’s like saying Wand shouldn’t have to fight Rampage because he beat him decisively (destroyed him, actually, even if the standup in the 2003 GP was total and utter bullshit). They are both different fighters now.

• Michael says:

Chuck is still one of the UFC’s biggest draws, it would be benifitial for the UFC to give him another shot if he gets by Evans. Who else would deserve one??? He beat Wand, Forrest beat Shogun… If he wins he’s next in line for sure…

• Jiu-Jitsu Guy says:

One small problem there Mr. Chuck. You won’t be getting the title back, as your skills are not good enough. Simple as that. He is boring as hell to watch if you ask me. All he does is sit there, cock his right hand back, and waits for a big strike. A joke is today’s MMA. I also think he can’t beat Machida.

For him to speak in hypotheticals like that is ridiculous. Chuck is a thing of the past, just like Tito.

• Sergio says:

Saying Liddell shouldn’t get a shot at the title as long as Rampage is champ is like saying Wand deserves a crack at the title since he beat Rampage decisively, twice.

If Chuck wins in London, expect him to be headlining NYE in Vegas against the LHW champion.

• Chuckly says:

Chuck’s always been good at hyping a fight and being cocky but- holy crap! with the way he’s been talking in interviews lately you’d think he was on a 10 fight winstreak! He must’ve forgot about the two beatdowns he received from Rampage already and is obsessed with getting a Jardine rematch. He looked decent with Wanderlei but Wanderlei played right into his strengths. I think he may get exposed again. What the heck is he going to do if Rashad beats him!?

• RUSH says:

Sergio, I think your right. I don’t think it’s fair to a guy like Jardine that he gets skipped over on this. Money talks in the UFC, Liddell vs. Rampage NYE would be big money…

that’s if they win their respetcive fights of course lol

• Jay says:

If Chuck beats Rashad he should get a shot.

• woooburn says:

“Chuck doesn’t even know if Jardine’s a guy who could get into title contention”

couldn’t you make the argument that they’re pretty much in the same position as far as title contention? or even that jardine is higher up the totem pole than he is, since he beat him? if jardine gets past wandy (that’s a big if), i think he’s definitely the most deserving of the next shot, but i doubt they’ll give him all depends on what happens in the fights and how convincing the wins are, i suppose. if jardine manages some huge finish against silva, but chuck only eeks out a decision against ‘shad, then i don’t see how they could possibly put chuck up next (aside from the money aspect).

• gabe says:

Absolutely no doubt that the winner of Liddell v. Evans is next in line for title shot. No doubt. How many champs lose their belt and don’t get a shot to get it back. It’s standard, you lose the belt, then you beat a few top contenders, as in Wandy and Evans, then you get a shot to get your belt back. The real question is whether Griffin will have it after he fights Rampage, which I think he will.

• woooburn says:

yeah, that’s a good point i hadnt considered. i guess i’ve seen chuck fight for the title so many times, and the division is so stacked, it’d be nice to see some else go at.

• gabe says:

Problem is if he does get a shot after Evans, I think he matches up horribly with Griffin or Rampage. Rampage for the obvious reasons, he’s whooped him twice, and Griffin because of his size. He’s a younger taller version of Chuck. You could really see how Chucks height and reach was the main reason he beat Wandy so bad, Wandy couldn’t get inside at all. So regardless I don’t really think Chuck will get the belt back, but if he wins in June, yeah, he should get a shot at it.

• TD says:

Leaving aside the question of whether Chuck deserves a shot at the title (he doesn’t until he erases the Jardine stain, IMO) I have to ask, if Rampage is still holding the belt will you really get excited about Liddell-Jackson 3? Sure, puncher’s chance and all that but unless Chuck hits the KO lotto does anyone expect a different result this time?

• gabe says:

On any given night, Chuck can definately still beat any LHW in the UFC, including Rampage. He’s a top 10 fighter in the world still, his results speak for themselves. Saying that, I think pretty much any other LHW in the division has a shot to beat Chuck now, which was not the case 18 months ago. If you remeber the Wandy-Rampage 2 fight, Rampage hit Silva with almost the same punch that he KO’d Liddell with in their second fight, but Wandy came back and rocked him in the 2nd round, so yeah, I think i would definately want to see Rampage v. Liddell 3. I think Chuck was ripe to be caught, and Rampage definately caught him, but I don’t think a 1.5 minute KO should make anyone think that it’s an impossibility for Chuck to do to Rampage what Wandy did.

• slimm says:

JJG, Mr. chuck is boring as hell? the machida fight wasnt that exciting imo and wanderlei v chuck was wayyyy more exciting than machida s fight, also machida has to get past tito (which he should) then he will be completely in the title mix especially if he destroys tito machida most likely would get the first title shot of 2009 as his reward from dana… because if chuck get by evans i expect him to get the title shot in december v the winner of Rampage v Forrest, then machida,jardine and so on……
    it does kinda seem thought that Chucks mind is two fights ahead of whats actually going on and thats no bueno thats one reason keith beat in the first place he wasnt focused on jardine didnt take him seriously, plus he got kicked an awful lot…. so if he looks past evans like ive been saying he wont get that title shot at the nye show…..
    also the champs need to fight more often hell u have soooo many of them now atleast they can fight more then twice a year, just my opinions cheers

• j. says:

lyoto machida deserves a shot befor chuck or anyone else for that matter. whether you like his style or not the man seems unbeatable and has paid his dues.

• Mike Wolfe says:

I’d rather see Liddell/Jardine II than Liddell/Evans. The Evans fight just doesn’t have that much interest value.

• jaydog says:

Chuck’s first priority is the belt and second priority is Jardine. That sounds like some Karo Parisian avoiding Fitch, right there. Beating Evans doesn’t prove much. There are so many alleged contenders in the UFC’s LHW division, it just seems like a free for all where Dana picks his favorites to headline cards and enjoy the limelight. Since Chuck is one of Dana’s boys, he gets to pick and choose his fights.

• slimm says:

Machida does deserve a title shot, if Chuck gets by evans, Chuck will simply get a title shot first he is just a better draw for the NYE show….. if Chuck loses and Jardine win (big if) i think Jardine gets the shot especially if Forrest somehow beats Rampage remember what happened the last time those two met up…… Chuck loses Jardine loses (go wanderlei) then when Machida beats Big Head then Machida gets the NYE show thats the way i see it going down, i agree that i would much rather see Liddell v Jardine 2 and put Evans v Wanderlei but whatcha going to do, it is what it is in my opionion

• the sheik says:

This site is good for news, but the god damn commentary is just horrible, the opions are far from objective. Pls just stick to news and dont add ur 2 cents. That would improve the site immensely

thanks

• He-Man says:

Machida doesn’t deserve a title shot until he beats a top 5 LHW. I do think he will have a long reign as the champ, but right now, other people have paid MORE dues.

• Zack says:

Yeah JJGuy, Chuck is nowhere near as good as the new generation of Gracies. Oh whoops, Gregor just got K…T…F…OOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

• Zane says:

Of course they would give him another title shot, Chuck vs. Rampage 3 would be a huge draw even if Chuck is 0-2. The loss in pride doesn’t really matter though, I see Chuck getting his shot after he beats Evans and Griffin loses to Rampage.

• Nick says:

Question for everyone who says if Chuck beats Rashad, then he is in line for a title shot…..WHAT ABOUT 4-0 MACHIDA??? If Machida beats Tito in May, I am not sure how Dana can deny the guy is next in line for a crack at the title. 5-0 in the toughest division in all of MMA is pretty fn impressive. and I think he beats Rampage to boot. I would rather see him fight for it over a guy who has lost to the champ twice already.

• Joe P. says:

If Chuck wins, he earns his rematch. No doubt in my mind. All champs who lose the title have or at least should have a right to take that title back.

• truth says:

I still find Chucks win oven Wandy suspect. Wandy going into the biggest fight of his life and not using his second biggest tool (muay tia clinch). Did big Nog enter the Tim Sylvia fight and say “hey maybe I’ll try this without my BJJ technique.” 3rd loss in a row would have been really bad for Chuck.
    We had already saw Chute Boxes effect on Rich Franklins face and career. Lasty before the fight Wandy saying he doesn’t care if he wins , he just wants to put on a good fight? WTF He’s never said that before. I think he was asked not to use the muay thia clinch.

• King Mah Mah says:

Give me a break truth! You find the liddell vs wandy fight suspect!!? Do you honestly think a fighter like wand would lose on purpose? Wow! I guess Dan Henderson lost to Anderson Silva on purpose too!! And I guess Tito lost on purpose at UFC 47 too since he didn’t really use his wrestling skills!!

• Adam Morgan says:

“I still find Chucks win oven Wandy suspect. Wandy going into the biggest fight of his life and not using his second biggest tool (muay tia clinch).”

Wanderlei had to get inside of Chuck’s reach to use the muay thai clinch and was unable to do so. It’s not like he can just get in there and lock up a muay thai clinch on Liddell with no setup. Wanderlei didn’t use it because he couldn’t, end of story.

• Kri$ says:

Chuck also wants to fight fedor and hasn’t ruled out a rematch with wandy…he reckons he’ll KO him (I agree)

Article is on thesun.co.uk

• cyphron says:

Wanderlei Silva is no Anderson Silva. At least not without the juice.

• darkmetal says:

Liddell lost against Jardine because he lost on points by not being able to defend against the leg kick. However, a win is a win, and Jardine deserves credit. But, I don’t think Liddell will fall for that same scenario twice, and if he does he deserves to lose.

What Chuck is saying is that Jardine has yet to be UFC champion. He has, multiple times.

Rampage is another story. Rampage has beaten Chuck twice, but I still think that with the proper game plan Rampage will go down. Time will tell.

• Zantetzuken says:

I would love to see Chuck get knocked out again by Rampage, anyone else?

• treebranch says:

I think the next title shot depends on the outcomes of Chuck/Rashad and Wandy/Jardine. Obviously, if Chuck or Jardine loses, the other will get the first shot. But if Chuck and Jardine both win, who gets the shot? It would be hard to overlook Jardine considering that his last 2 fights would be victories over Chuck and Wandy. Jardine is not a household name like Chuck, so I think he needs to beat Wandy in an impressive fashion to get a title shot. What can Dana White say if Jardine knocks out Wandy and Chuck wasn’t able to?

• Dan UK says:

What’s with all the Chuck hating on these comments. He’s still one of the UFC’s biggest draws and in my opinion one of, if not, the most exciting fighter in the main event scene.

Someone loses 2 fights then wins an exciting fight over Wanderlei in a fight fans have been salivating over for years and people don’t think he deserves a title shot. Gimme a break Chuck has earned his highly regarded position in the UFC an I think he could take Rampage in a rematch regardless of the last 2 times they fought. I hope one day to log on when Chuck has the title again and see what people are saying then…

• king mah mah says:

Chuck will destroy jardine in the 2nd fight!!

• jj says:

chucks a washed has been so is wandi and tito. machida needs to fight someone real.