Cage Rage 25: Ken Shamrock and son lose; Imanari retains 145 lbs. title

Ken Shamrock came out with what seemed to be a very poor gameplan against Robert “Buzz” Berry, deciding to stand and trade with him the entire time. The larger and more powerful Berry took advantage of Ken’s willingness to stand and trade and caught him with a stiff left jab that put Shamrock down for the count. He looked bad tonight, folks. Really bad. Had he been in there with Kimbo Slice, it wouldn’t have lasted long.

Here’s the full results from the evening:

• Robert Berry def. Ken Shamrock via KO (punches) at 3:26 of Rd 1.
  • Masakazu Imanari def. Jean Silva via submission (heel hook) at 2:30 of Rd 1.
  • Rob Broughton def. Neil Grove via Majority Decision
  • Tom Watson def. Pierre Guillet via TKO (strikes) at 2:05 of Rd 1.
  • Mustapha al Turk def. Gary Turner via Submission (strikes) at 3:19 of Rd 1.
  • Ivan Serati def. Roman Webber via TKO (strikes) at :48 of Rd 1.
  • Henrique Santana def. Michael Johnson via Unanimous Decision
  • Aisling Daly def. Aysen Berik via TKO (strikes) at 1:49 of Rd 1.
  • Giorgio Andrews def. Ryan Shamrock via TKO (doctor stoppage – broken hand) at 5:00 of Rd 1.
  • John Hathaway def. Marvin Arnold Beau via TKO at 1:32 of Rd 1.
  • John Phillips def. Jake Bostwick via TKO (strikes) at 4:10 of Rd 1.
  • Zack says:

Ken looked like he quit to me. He didn’t argue the stoppage, and I watched the shot that dropped him at least 10x on the DVR – it was nothing more than a jab that clipped him. Embarassing.

• Rich says:

embarassing indeed..

the guys got a bad chin, plus he’s a ground fighter, and he wouldn’t take Buzz down.. that just seems fishy..

he tried the takedown once.. and although it looked explosive and powerful, he just quit and went right back to stand-up.. which was obviously stupid..

but all in all, Ken only threw 2 punches.. i believe.. and they did look nice.. and kind of rang Buzz’s Bell it looked like.. but.. Buzz was throwing combo’s and Ken wasn’t doing a single thing to stop them..

when you watch the replay of the punch that sent him down.. you see.. it didn’t even hit him.. the one before did.. and then he started to fall back when the second one came.. it just doesn’t seem like he was really hurt to me.. he got right up.. and he didn’t looked dazed when the doc was checkin’ him out..

horrible performance.. he should be done now..

as for Ryan.. as far as i understood, he was doing AMAZING until they had to stop it.. good job, Ryan..

• Handover Fist says:

The guy is 1-8 in his last nine fights and hasn’t beat anyone of note since 95′.

I’m embarrassed for Ken and even worse I’m embarrassed for the sport.

• mattio says:

Why do promoters keep using guys like Tank and Ken? Anybody who is still a fan of these guys who can’t win a fight are the true definition of a fan. I don’t see how anyone would want to see these two guys further embarrass themselves.

There’s a big difference between going on a bad streak and just plain not belonging in the sport any longer. Tank and Ken have definitely crossed the line into the latter.

It’s bad enough that they won’t retire on their own, but for promoters to keep using them, for whatever reason, is very bothersome.

• Evan says:

“Why do promoters keep using guys like Tank and Ken? ”

UFC history

• Gavin says:

Man. Ken looked awful. Buzz Barry looked almost as bad. I’ve never seen such a poor display of technique. He was slapping his jabs and flailing his combos, and left his chin out in the air the whole fight. Even in the takedown he looked stronger then Ken. It looks like Dana did Ken a favour when he “forced” him into retirement.

• Sam Cupitt says:

It was a really bad fight and Ken looked really bad in it.

Ken apparently has a 2 fight deal with an option for a third, I think that 2nd fight will be against Tank.

Then for the love of christ, retire.

• Will says:

I am a huge MMA fan and I watch everything from the IFL to EliteXc, WEC and UFC. Why anyone leaves the UFC is beyond me. They gave trophy’s to 2 fat out of shape guys rolling around the ring last night!! Are you serious is that what we want to start calling professional atheletes? There is not 1 fighter in the top tier of any weight class in Elite Xc that could last 1 round with a top tier guy from UFC!!!! WEC has some talent but the fact that they are going to have a contract with CBS will give MMA a bad name! We are supposed to be moving forward and away from boring boxing not joining them side by side. The money may be found with other names i.e.. WEC or EliteXc but lets be serious the best fighters and the best production is UFC and its younger brother WEC. That was a joke last night. I would have rather gone up to my local high school gym and watched some locals brawl it out!!!! Ken Shamrock is a fossil and the fact he is headlining a card is a travesty. He is a legend in MMA and he is going to tarnish that by continuing to try and make a buck!

• darkmetal says:

Right now I think Tank Abbott might actually beat Shamrock, and that is a sad sign of Shamrock’s career deflation.

• Gong says:

Quick question. Broken hand? How bad was it? I thought that’s just something fighters tend to … you know, ignore and fight through.

• Rich says:

Why are Five Ounces still the only site to put spoilers in the headlines?! Some people haven’t seen the event yet and would like to know the results when they watch the fights.

• Sam Caplan says:

Rich, we’re not the only site to put results in our headlines. I’m looking at my RSS page and I see three other sites. Could you over-exaggerate any further?

BTW, it’s not a spoiler if the event is not only over but has been televised!!!

WE’RE A NEWS SITE — WE REPORT NEWS! What do you expect? An MMA news site to ignore major events?

Here’s some free advice; if you haven’t seen an event yet and want to be surprised when you watch it later, wait until after the event is over before you come to 5 Oz. because we have a tendency to cover the sport of MMA.

• mike wolfe says:

I’ll watch mediocre MMA rather than network garbage any day of the week. But Elite needs to step it way up if they want to have any credibility with CBS. Imanari’s submission was great, but the rest of the televised program was weak.
    I guess I can understand why they sign guys like Frank Shamrock. He’s a name, and long time MMA fans are more likely to watch. But CBS has to find new viewers who aren’t long time MMA fans, or the show won’t last. CBS and Elite need to focus on quality fighters and accept the fact that newer fighters won’t be big names. Newer fans won’t necessarily know or care, and long time fans will watch anyway. A few quality wins by unknowns will take care of the recognition factor soon enough. Get the viewers interested with good fights and some commentators who understand and can explain the fight, and worry about big stars later.

• Melissa says:

I have to say most of what I saw last night was disgraceful. After watching the replays over and over from different angles, I believe Ken took a fall. I hate even saying it, but it sure looked that way to me. As for the other fights shown, why does the loser of a fight get his hand raised by the referee and given a trophy in the ring??? Grove lost, I just didn’t get that. And then there was the banana costume guy and the whole mess coming into the cage, this was so WWE, what the heck?? You couldn’t pay me enough to wear the banana suit. The whole “show” discredits the authenticity of the sport. IMO. Imanari’s reverse heel hook was nice. But other than that, I don’t have anything positive to say about the faux MMA card shown last night.

• Ross says:

Rich Im with you buddy- I mean last month I went to the espn site and it had GIANTS WIN SUPER BOWL in big letters. I mean honestly how dare they inform me of what is happening when I go to their site. Dont they know “I” havent got a chance to watch it yet. Those bastards.

• Bradster says:

What’s even funnier than this is the potential match-up talks of Shamrock vs. Shamrock (brother against brother). Now if he looked as bad as he did last night, imagine is this match up takes place. . .Frank Shamrock would smear his brother’s ass all over the place. Ken needs to hang it up.

• Rich S. says:

alright.. there’s another Rich.. so i’m going by Rich S. now..

sooo.. in Ken’s next fight, if it happens, they better give him someone that has extremely weak hands.. otherwise… we might see more of the same..

• Rich S. says:

#11,
    5 oz. of Pain posts a day or two in advance and tell you that they’re going to have live results.. how about you don’t check the website until you watch the event, sound good?

it’s an MMA informer/news website.. of course they’re going to tell you who won in the latest events.. i guaruntee if you go to espn’s website right now.. they’ll tell you who won the boxing match last night..

• Rich says:

hey Morgan,
    can you tell me why my comments were awaiting moderation all night??

• Rich S. says:

comments #17 and #18 that is..

• Sam Caplan says:

#19, because I am in charge of moderation and I was not only sick — but also sleeping. I apologize — for being sick and sleeping. I will try never to let either one ever happen again.

• Rich S. says:

ok Sam, thanks..
    but.. i just wanted to know what content needed moderation.. i remember last time i posted a link to a website that you didn’t allow.. but this time.. i didn’t see what needed it..

• Sam Caplan says:

Rich S., all first-time commenters to the site are subject to initial moderation. Anyone who also has been flagged for a comment in the past goes into are automated moderation system where I have to clear their post before it can be made public.

• Rich S. says:

i just changed my name to Rich s. because i noticed another Rich started viewing[#11], which makes like 3 or 4 on the site. so i figured i’d make things easier..

i’ve seen Rich’s come and go [hahaha] and they’ve added their last initial.. i guess it’s my turn now..

i just thought the moderation might have been because of some kind of subject material in the comment or something..

thanks for clearing that up..

• Rich S. says:

oh.. and Sam, you have my permission to sleep..

lol.

• Greg says:

Just to pass comment on the event of Cage Rage25, having attended the venue to watch the fights, I’ve got to say I was pretty impressed with all the fights in general, the “banana” costumes in question were to do with Tom “kong” Watson, whom, when you look at the fight (Watson vs Guillet) had a cracking knock out! Although what possessed Guillet to lanch himself in the air like that is beyond me..

Ken Shamrock, yes I myself was surprised to see that he didn’t try to shoot for Berry, be it giving the audience what they wanted or simply thinking he could trade.. either way beyond me.. & as for his “waltzing off” after being knocked down..well, i’ll let you judge.

Not sure if it was aired of not, but the Femal fight (Berik vs Daly) was AWSOME!! all credit to Berik for not wanting to quit & showing heart. & of all the fighters, Daly was the only one I saw willing to have her picture taken & actually mix with “us” the paying public! Nice to see

First timer to the site so sorry if this goes on.