Anderson Silva wants to box Roy Jones, Jr.

Or at least that’s what Ed Soares, Silva’s manager, told MMA Weekly:

“Anderson really would love to fight Roy Jones, Jr. in a boxing match,” says his manager, Ed Soares, confirming recent speculation. “It’s not just talk, we really would like to put that fight together. We respect Jones’ boxing ability and think he’s one of the best,” said Soares, “but we’re tired of different boxers saying that MMA fighters aren’t technical. Anderson would love to fight Roy Jones in a boxing match under boxing rules to prove that MMA fighters are technical, too.”

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Let’s not get ahead of ourselves here, Anderson. I understand that you want to show the world that your striking is just as good as any boxer’s, but is this really necessary? Especially against a guy like Roy Jones, Jr., who has held multiple titles in several different divisions in boxing? I don’t think that’s the first opponent you want to face inside a boxing ring. It just doesn’t make sense, especially when there are still challenges left for you in the UFC (i.e. Georges St. Pierre, Yushin Okami, Wanderlei Silva, etc.).

Plus, what would Dana White think about all this? There’s no way he ever lets you step inside the ring with Roy Jones, Jr. Not a chance in hell. Stick to MMA, Anderson. You’re very, very good at it. Stepping into the ring with a boxer the caliber of Jones, Jr. might not be the smartest career choice.

• Nick says:

I’m all for it. Silva ftw.

• egad81 says:

Adam…. Good story.

Roy Jones is no longer in his prime and Anderson seems to be coming into his.
    I am a boxing fan and I must say… thats a better fight then almost all the upcoming boxing matches.

As for Dana White… He is a HUGE boxing fan but he wont let it happen.

Whats Andersons contract status with the UFC?

I can say without even looking into it that Boxing Roy Jones would more then likely Pay more then UFC for 1 fight.
    Its been reported that Tito Trinidad made over $10 million for his fight before taking on Roy and earning what was reported as a “HUGE PURSE”

Jones vs Silva…. Great Idea For Silva’s Pocket
    and an easier fight then GSP or almost any MMA guy
    Silva by KO rd3

• Zantetzuken says:

The only reason im all for it is because 1. I hate boxing and having one of the best pound for pound fighters in MMA beat a star boxer would be very pleasing for me on a personal level and 2. You shouldn’t count Anderson Silva out so harshly, he can take shots and dish hard shots out. But of course the gloves are different and there are considerably more shots thrown and recieved in boxing. Oh well i support the idea and hell maybe even Dana White would also, a chance to prove how MMA is superior to boxing? They could steal some of boxings viewers.

• Jaeger says:

If I were able to make the decisions.

I would LOVE to see this, the only stipulation I would add is the guaranteed rematch in an MMA match.

I love Anderson. He is a very talented man. and a very good striker. He is not Roy Jones Jr. and in the boxing format he will get taken apart. The very same way Roy Jones Jr. would get taken apart in the cage under the rules of MMA.

I generally find boxing boring. and find it silly that two grown men would agree to only punch eachother in the face for 30 minutes. But that doesn’t take away the fact that Roy Jones Jr. is one of the best at it………ever.

• Ian says:

Haha this would be a great fight…only for Roy Jones though
    Silva has boxed pro before,his first fight he knocked out Julio Cesar De Jesus
    but Roy Jones would kill him,his punches are nothing like anything ever seen in mma or Muay Thai.
    Silva would probably get knocked out even though Roy has lost mass amounts of punching power from age and bad hands.
    Silva is one of my favorite mma fighters and ive got all the respect in the world for him but fighting Roy Jones is only good for his pocket and fans…

• Scott D says:

Anderson wouldnt even need to win to prove his point. As long as he doesnt get knocked out or really worked over, you could consider it a win for Anderson. He also has at least 2 professional boxing matches.

Personally I like Andersons chances for a knockout.

Anderson is 6’2 77″ reach
    Jones is 5’11 74″ reach

• MMA SKOOL™ says:

At least a K-1 kind of match would be cool. Meet half way.

• woooburn says:

1 – silva only wants to fight him cus he has sweeter mid-fight dance moves (though i’ve never seen jones play an air banjo)

2 – will silva still get to wear his nuthuggers?

3 – if he feels like he’s accomplished everything he wants to, in mma (at least for the time being), more power to him. i havent paid attention to jones’s career in like ten years, so i have no idea how legit he is these days. and i dont know much about silva’s personal life, but if he has a family, good for him… going for a chance at some real money in exchange for his talents. not that he gets paid chump change now, but the comparison is obvious.

• Ian says:

As MMA grows in popularity, I think we’re going to see more of this take place.

Especially for large paydays.

Anderson Silva is one of the 5 absolute best overall fighters in the world right now. No question. There is an excellent argument to be made that he is the best. I know I couldn’t argue against it.

In an MMA bout, Roy wouldn’t get out of the first with Silva. (If Silva didn’t try to box with him just to prove he could.) In a boxing rules contest with 12 oz. gloves, Roy Jones Jr. would knock him out in under 3 rounds.

I’d hate to see it, but I can’t really begrudge him the kind of money he would probably make by doing this.

• Ranger1071 says:

As a combat sport fan I’d love to see this, if for not other reason than to see how good just Anderson’s hands are. If I’m Dana White, no way in hell. Anderson has the most complete stand up arsenal in MMA right now and to take way his clinch, his knees, his kicks, and any of those things with “flying” attached to it is a risk. A risk I wouldn’t allow him to take. If it was a K-1 bout the way MMA Skool suggested, hell yes. Making Jones Jr. have to worry about something other than Anderson’s hands and I think he wins, potentially quite easily. Just hands and I think that’s way too risky from a business stand point for the UFC.

They already have to deal with the MMA v Boxing issues and if Dana would let him do it, he’d have to believe he could dominate, and I don’t think Anderson could dominate Jones Jr.

• screwface says:

this would of been a good fight 10 years ago, but ive seen roy jones last 6 fights. its too late to make this happen. roy is no where near the man you all seem to think he is. once upon a time roy was the definition of p4p. but now hes reached the point where his mind tells something but his body is sayin something else. just a shadow of his former self. i love silva but wtf. id say pick some1 who has a fresher skill set in todays boxing, but coming from a boxing fan, its seen better days. i haven’t bothered with a boxing ppv in a long time although i probably will buy the pacman ppv this weekend. but unfortunately no1 near silvas weight class is worth talking trash too currently.

• bjjdenver says:

While Roy is a shadow of his former self, and i am a Silva fan, I would pick Roy easily.

Anderson is a great fighter, but he wouldn’t be fighting the more stationary MMA guys and I think he would have a much harder time connecting on a top level boxer.

As for Roy, his domination of Tito, has him in line for at least a couple of high paying fights and I doubt he would jeopardize that by fighting Silva.

• bjjdenver says:

Note: By stationary, I mean head movement, elusiveness, etc.

• Rich S. says:

ok..
    Silva vs. Jones – MMA match.. Silva would own Jones.. obviously..

but..
    Silva vs. Jones – Boxing match.. don’t think i could say the same..

1. sure.. there’s a clinch in boxing.. BUT YOU CAN’T THROW KNEES IN IT..
    2. all of Silva’s great JJ.. gone.. out the window..
    3. the longest Silva’s ever gone is 15 minutes.. in this case.. there’s a possibility of.. 36 – 40 minutes.. stamina could be an issue..
    4. the reason Anderson’s sooo good is because when people try to get on the inside with him.. he grabs them.. and knees them.. when knees are out of the question.. which they would be in a boxing match.. people can get on the inside.. and do the REAL damage..

i know Anderson Silva’s and AMAZING fighter.. but he REALLY, REALLY doesn’t need to have this match.. just keep owning MW’s until you get another legit contender, Anderson..

• bubbafat says:

Scott D is right. For MMA this is a win/win. I think Silva’s movement and ability to find his distance would keep him from being knocked out. And if he loses a decision, even a unanimous? decision, he makes MMA look good. Aside from that , DW wouldn’t let it happen. Not because Silva would lose, but because even if Silva loses, he’d make a payday the likes of which the UFC would never see him again.

• Jay says:

Imagine how hard Roys punches would be if he wore the tiny UFC gloves!!! Now, If Silva wore the boxing glove do you think his punch carries over to knock out or decision Roy? I can’t imagine that. NOT AT ALL. Don’t get me wrong…I love Silva and his MMA game but lets not get carried away. If Roy fought an MMA bought against Silva he would get killed. If Silva fought a boxing match he would be gassed inside of 4 “boxing rounds” and be stopped.

• el boxeo says:

it wouldnt even last 4 rounds for sure…

but silva would probally get paid upwards of 10 million dollers as a “boxing vs mma, lets settle the argument once and for all” freak show….

• egad81 says:

I bet all the people picking Roy have never fought in MMA or Boxing.

Put it this way…. ROY JONES wouldnt take the fight!
    He is not dumb. He didnt want to fight Tito Trinidad back in 2001… he waited till Trinidad retired twice.

Floyd Mayweather…. I bet he would take a fight against an MMA guy in his weight class. (silva not being in that class)

I grow up boxing and I consider myself a tough guy but I am old and wouldnt want to fight a younger, bigger, faster fighter…. well maybe for 5 to 10 million

• Sam Caplan says:

#18 — HUH? Jones Jr. wouldn’t take a boxing match vs. Silva if the money was right? Why would Jones be worried about Silva if it was in a match where Silva couldn’t use submissions, knees, kicks, elbows, or the clinch? Just because you wouldn’t want to face a younger, bigger, faster fighter doesn’t mean a competitive athlete wouldn’t be up for the challenge. Randy Couture beat a younger and bigger guy for the heavyweight title last year. And how many younger and faster guys did George Foreman dispose of when he came back? That’s great that you have a boxing background but did you think your comments through?

• THORAZINE says:

I think Silva could give him a good fight,,, but it won’t be long before he instinctively gives Junior a Muay thai knee…. oops’ sorry Roy!

• Nate says:

boxing = ice skating, opera music, baseball, basketball = things that suck.

Why waste talent of one of the best MMA fighters on a crappy sport.

Sell putting Anderson Silva on a tutu to prance around like a boxing ballerina to someone else, I dont buy it.

Come on, this is Anderson Silva, the guy who stunned everyone with his FIRST submission on a guy that has never been knocked out (and he fought battles with the best). That is a thing of beauty. MMA doesnt need boring matchups like that. Let those guys step into the MMA ring if they want to prove themselves.

• Rich S. says:

Nate.. dude.. you are gonna get ripped a new one by these guys..

don’t call boxing a “crappy sport”..

that’s just stupid..

obviously you like MMA.. and boxing is one of the main components to MMA..

when you make a comment like:
    “boxing = ice skating, opera music, baseball, basketball = things that suck.”

you’re making yourself sound like the typical “vegas MMA fan” [as i call them] .. you know.. the drunk guy who just came to see a Knock Out..

• Jay says:

#18 and #21 = RIDICULOUS.

• Marco says:

Well Adam I hate to disagree with you but how is he getting ahead of himself. Did he ever say that he expected to beat him? No. He does have a great chance though, here’s why. Have you seen his ridiculous head movement, pin point accuracy, and superb cardio? Did everyone forget that Anderson started fighting in a ring? All Anderson wants to do is prove is that MMA fighters are not “wanna be boxers”. It would be the biggest pay per view of all time. I grew up a boxing fan, but let’s be real, the sports dead. If anything boxing needs something to bring it back to life. Look at what boxing has succumbed to, Floyd Mayweather. What a joke! If that’s how boxing plans to come back to life they should throw in the towel.

GSP is one of the best technical fighters and would have the best chance since he is a huge welterweight. Okami has done nothing to turn heads about. Wand would never drop in weight and if he did he would get knocked out just like he did against Hendo.

Dana White is a boxing fan, more importantly and A-hole, Dana would let it happen just to shut all the critics up.

Besides what does Anderson have to lose, he’s already the greatest.

• Jay says:

#24 ….Biggest PPV of all time? Highly doubtful. Roy Jones is very much in the sunset of his career and no one outside of our “circle of friends” in MMA knows who Silva is!

MMA is getting bigger by the minute but Silva doesn’t have Trinidad’s name recognition. The PPV would die a slow sales death. WE (MMA fans) would be the only ones buying as casual boxing fans have written off Jones long ago and wouldn’t spend $50 to see Roy fight Silva.

• Marco says:

Got 20 on it?

• Jay says:

Marco, Before we proceed talking about money. Are you saying that Silva vs. Jones Jr. will be bigger than De La Hoya-Mayweather?

• Marco says:

Look I might be wrong about it being the biggest of all time (I’m a big talker) but nobody can dispute that this would catapult MMA into the next level and would be do or die for boxing. I can’t really think that there is anyone that doesn’t want to see this happen. Jones is the PERFECT opponent for Anderson BECAUSE he’s no longer in his prime. We would have never put Vitor in the ring with De La Hoya or Colman against Tyson back in their prime. All this is; is Anderson proving his skills as a stand up fighter that is almost a mirror image of a professional boxer. As far as the rest of what I had to say in my first post I’m not getting much dispute.

Can you imagine the publicity this would receive and the fans it would draw from both sides of the fence. MMA is the who’s who of prize fighters for the 21st century.

• Jay says:

Marco, I agree with some of your points. But how would Silva be proving himself as a standup fighter by boxing a once great 39 year old? I’m not sure that’s the yardstick that would prove he is an elite boxer.

I’d love to see the matchup…It will never happen. The publicity for MMA would be great…ESPN would be all over it

Jones has his sights set on Calzaghe or Hopkins for one last big payday. Silva should look to maybe fighting Liddell or Rampage or calling out Matt Lindland!! Now those are some match ups!

• Marco says:

It would be a great fight to watch. I don’t think he’s trying to say he’s and elite boxer though. GSP would still be his biggest test as an all around fighter, OR UFC 86 Bethlehem Israel Middle Weight champion of the WORLD Anderson Silva VS. Jesus Christ

• steve says:

let’s get it on… i’m sick of boxers saying MMA guys aren’t real fighters.. i guarentee that roy jones jr doesn’t take this fight or he will come out and say yes when he already knows it can’t happen… silva isn’t trying to say he’s a top notch boxer or that he is better than all the boxer… he just wants to go in and prove that MMA guys can last with the top end boxers… boxers are all saying they wouldn’t last a round in boxing.. well now we have a chance to find out…

• Sam Cupitt says:

Had a dream last night that Anderson Silva knocked out Roy Jones Jr. in the first round. Granted in that dream I was playing fight night with my brother and I was being Silva but you know… keep the dream alive.

• Marco says:

Amen Steve!

• Josh says:

This is a major step for fight sports I am all for it!

• Jose says:

I’m so tired of people trying to compare these two sports. I’m a fan of both MMA and boxing, but the fact is, they are not the same. Someone once said (and I agree) that comparing boxing to MMA is like comparing Racket Ball to Tennis, just because you use a racket to hit a ball in both sports doesn’t make the two sports the same. Silva WILL be taken to school by Roy Jones in a boxing match and Roy Jones WILL be taken to school by Silva in an MMA match. Why can’t both sports exist? Silva should stick to his sport and stop trying to get in the ring with people who have been boxing since they were five years old. The same goes for a guy like Mayweather, just because he’s considered the top pound for pound boxer, doesn’t mean he has a chance against a top MMA fighter. Enjoy the two sports for what they are….I know I do.

• Context says:

It’s all about **context**. All sports/martial arts are designed to operate within a certain context and MMA is no exception to this rule. The rules and regulations of a particular sport define the context and identify the athletic skills and abilities necessary to succeed in that sport. While those skills and abilities may translate to and serve as a foundation for other sports they don’t guarantee success in other sports.

Kobe Bryant may be 6?6? with great leaping ability but that doesn’t mean he’d make a great wide receiver. Devon Hester may run a 4.35 in the 40 yd. dash but I don’t see him smoking Maurice Greene. Anderson Silva may be a great MMA fighter but I don’t see him outclassing any elite pro boxers. All are great athletes who excel at their respective sports and it should be left at that.

The problem is that there are athletes that, either ignorantly or arrogantly, assume that this doesn’t apply to them or their sport of choice. This is especially the case within the martial arts community and even more so with members of the MMA community and their fans. If you were to tell a decathlete with exceptional running ability that he couldn’t compete with the likes of Maurice Greene or Asafa Powell, he would simply say “You’re right. I’m not supposed to. My event isn’t specialized and therefore neither is my training” and that would be the end of it.

Much of the debate regarding this issue could be resolved if members of the MMA community would simply come out articulately reply in the manner above. That doesn’t excuse nor does it condone members of the boxing community making such observations and comments. However, if the sport of MMA is ever going to gain the legitimacy and respectability it seeks (along with the pay days that come with them) and do away with the expiration date many see it as having, members of its community are going to need to lose the testosterone filled, “we’re the end all be all”, bad boy image and start acting like professional athletes.

• Marco says:

Like I said before, where or when did Anderson say he could beat Roy? Who has stepped up to defend MMA after Mayweather’s comments? All Anderson is trying to do is prove the technical abilities of the MMA community. For ANYONE to have the stones to say this is about money should get a job and stop pretending to be a TRUE fan.

• Shintaro Valdes says:

Jones will just toy with him in the ring. no match. really.

• russ says:

As good as Silva is in the UFC ….getting in a Boxing ring with Roy would be the biggest mistake of his career.

His first venture into boxing ended in a 1 round Knockout loss…..against an unknown fighter.

Getting in with RJJ would be embarassing to him …and to MMA.

• Marty says:

I love how people are talking about Roy Jones Jr needing to do an MMA match as a rematch.

RJJ isn’t the one that called Silva out. Silva called him out. Quit crying already.

RJJ has a better chin, faster hands, better footwork, and better overall movement. Boxing is more about imposing your will on the other fighter, which is something that Silva can do when he has his BJJ, and Muay Thai at his disposal. Without it, He’s walking into RJJ’s backyard and asking to be kicked out of it against his will. Silva is an awesome fighter, but he is no world-class boxer in the same right that RJJ is.

• Deano says:

Why doesn’t Silva take on a prime boxer with power in the boxing ring? Why does he challenge an old man in RJJ? I hate fighters who think they have proven themselves by beating Hall of Fame fighters who are way past their prime and whose skills have deteriorated drastically. Maybe Silva can call out Mike Tyson or George Foreman- Silva is a talented fighter but also is a piece of shit.

• Shintaro Valdes says:

I must admit that i go turned on when i heard about this. Im a huuuge fan of mr. Silva’s work. Equally that of mr. Jones’. However, I personally think that mr. Silva would get beaten to a pulp inside the boxing ring under boxing rules as fast as mr. Jones jr. would get creamed inside the octagon with mma rules. These two disciplines are the exact opposite of each other. One cannot weigh which is better than the other simply because the two discipline requires extreme talent and toughness in every essence of the word to excel leave alone dominate like these two have in their respective eras. So lets leave this fairy tale as such. Just my two cents worth. =)

• PRIDE RULES says:

ROY JONES WOULD DESTROY ANDERSON SILVA IN A BOXING MATCH, END OF STORY.

• GB says:

#18, boxing out did MMA in ’07 by the TV numbers, which shows people love the sport, I agree with Rich S, you sound like a typical vegas fan, the drunk in the crowd laughing at the guy getting the shit kicked out of him.

moving on.

Jones-Silva would be cool to see, as a big fan of both MMA &boxing, and with 14 years boxing experience &a bunch of fights under my belt I think this fight would be great for both sports. Fight fans will tune in to see this from MMA &boxing, everyone will be curious to see if Silva can box well enough to get to Roy Jones, and to see if Roy Jones can handle a bigger, younger, strong man from MMA. I’d love to see it happen, I think mixed martial arts have come a long way, the fighters are getting better &better. As far as the boxing VS MMA debate, I say, the more the merrier! I’m not going to argue which is better, etc etc, it’s been overdone. Both sports kick ass, &I have a lot of respect for them both &the warriors who participate in them.

Respectfully,
    GB

• Fedorxlite says:

Jones already said he would take the fight if dana allows it