Legal counsel for New Jersey Athletic Control Board disputes accusation

Nick Lembo, the legal counsel for the New Jersey Athletic Control Board, contacted FiveOuncesOfPain.com (www.FiveOuncesOfPain.com) in regards to an article authored by Kevin Iole that was published on Yahoo! Sports.

The article, which was a profile piece on UFC light heavyweight Houston Alexander, quoted Alexander’s trainer Mick Doyle as saying Alexander was not “mentally right” for his fight at UFC 78 against Thiago Silva. The indirect quote attributed to Doyle indicated that Alexander was not “mentally right” because a member from the New Jersey Athletic Control Board informed Alexander and Doyle before the fight that the bout was off because Alexander only has one kidney.

The exact passage referenced is as follows:

His trainer, Mick Doyle, concedes that Alexander could use work on his jiu-jitsu. But he said Alexander wasn’t right mentally that night and suspects it had something to do with the events in the dressing room an hour before he was to go out.

A member of the New Jersey Athletic Control Board walked into the room and told Alexander and Doyle the fight was off because Alexander only has one kidney.

Alexander had donated a kidney to one of his daughters several years earlier, but he’d always passed his pre-fight physicals with no problems. But New Jersey, fearful of a lawsuit should something untoward happen, opted at the last minute to prevent Alexander from fighting.

The reasoning was that with just one kidney, he wouldn’t have a backup if something happened to it. Manager Monte Cox, UFC president Dana White and Doyle were pleading Alexander’s case.

Lembo was not referenced in the Yahoo! story by name but expressed that he felt compelled to contact Five Ounces Of Pain because he first became aware of the accusation via a blog posting by senior writer Adam Morgan. While Lembo was not named specifically, he believes the accusation was directed at him because he states he was the only representative for the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board that attended UFC 78.

Lembo issued a categorical denial to the accusation.

“When I saw the story, it has a lot of misstatements and a lot of falsehoods and it’s clearly an incorrect and inaccurate story,” Lembo stated. “We were aware that Houston Alexander had one kidney, passed all of his pre-license medicals (and) he passed his pre-fight medical.

“I see the quote here: ‘Manager Monte Cox, UFC president Dana White and Doyle were pleading Alexander’s case.’ I’ve known Monte Cox very well for years. I never spoke with Monte Cox with regard to this matter. I obviously know UFC president Dana White. Dana White did not try to convince me one way or the other. He did not get involved in this decision. And I don’t even know Mr. Doyle; I don’t believe I’ve even met Mr. Doyle.

“What happened was my concern over the one kidney. I wanted Mr. Alexander to speak to our ringside physician, who was on staff and assigned to that event, and I sent an inspector as a witness and asked Houston to sign a document after our physician explained to him he risks of fighting with one kidney and what would happen to Houston if he damaged that kidney or possibly destroyed that kidney.

“The risks were explained to him. The level of risks were explained to him. It was not described as a high level of risk. I believe it was described that it would take a ‘miracle level kick’ or a ‘one in the million shot’ to damage that kidney. However, he is an adult and he’s free to make that decision but I felt that I would be remiss if I let Houston fight without knowing if he was advised of the possible medical risks.

“He was given that document after presenting the risks to him and was asked to sign a document that he was informed of the risks, aware of the risks, understood them, accepted them, and that he chose to fight.

“The only person that night that could decide not to fight that night was Houston Alexander. He was approved to fight by the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board.”

Lembo also took great issue with the implication that his only motive for speaking with Alexander was to avert a potential lawsuit and asked for an opportunity to address that statement.

“It’s not an issue of we were fearful of a lawsuit should something untoward happen,” said Lembo. “It was a concern for the fighter that he is advised of the medical risks and the possibilities at stake and that he makes an informed decision.”

Monte Cox was contacted for comment by Five Ounces Of Pain in regards to this story but was unavailable.

• […] UPDATE: click for rebuttal from NJACB’s Nick Lembo  […]

• bubbafat says:

Lembo’s rebuttle does not change the fact that it was piss poor timing on his part. Earlier statements that it was unprofessional are still warranted. Sounds like he is trying to cover his ass. He should just spout the truth. He realized at the last second the legal implications, so he made Alexander sign a disclaimer. He just should have done it sooner.

• Luke Thomas says:

Lembo is a VERY credible guy. Iole has some serious explaining to do.

• malcolm says:

“The only issue with Houston Alexander, and I was the only representative there for the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board because that was after Larry Hazzard was removed from his position and the acting commissioner who replaced him was at a boxing match that was televised by HBO at the Borgata, so I’m the only one that could be involved in this story about the athletic commission.”

What a cluster-fuck of a sentence.

• Brent says:

I’ve worked amateur shows and been to pro shows where Lembo was the rep – I’d definitely believe his version of the story.

• Gygax says:

I certainly believe what Mr. Lembo is saying. But this document signing could not have been taken care previously? Not even at the weigh ins, conducted by the NJACB, the day before the event? As someone said, while they were doing the right thing, the timing was absolutely terrible.

• Rln says:

“and I sent an inspector as a witness”

Are inspectors somehow not representatives of the AC?? Lembo is as big an attention whore as they come. This whole situation is a joke.

• Captain says:

Adam’s piece was scraping the bottom of the barrell as far as actually beine newsworthy and the rant was undeserved. Now his piece of non-news has turned into a little faux controversy. Seriously, who fuckin cares?

• Hector M says:

gimme a break , just another fighter looking for an excuse after getting hyped up and then destroyed.
    all cresit to silva.

• Dennis says:

Nick lembo the Attention whore … spewing more and more Bullsh*t …

• Adam Morgan says:

Captain-

The reason I posted it was because I thought it was an interesting tidbit of information that no other site was really talking about. How often do you hear a story like that? Not very often.

• rob says:

Rln
    Lembo has done more for the sport than you ever will
    How is lembo seeking attention?
    Alexander’s camp brought it up
    Silva trashed him period.
    Two kidneys wouldn’t have helped him on the ground.

• roomservicetaco says:

Did anyone ask Lembo what he would have done had Alexander not signed the form? If the answer is “call off the fight” than Adam’s headline “NJACB tried to prevent Houston Alexander from fighting Silva one hour before fight at UFC 78″ seems pretty accurate.

And, regardless of the consequences of signing/not-signing the form, the timing was highly inappropriate. Could have been taken care of at the weigh-ins. Not saying it had an impact on the outcome of the fight – nor should Alexander or Doyle – but should be called out as poor form by the NJSAC

• ranger1071 says:

First off- Adam I’m glad you did the story. I think it was a good pick up and well done.

I am also not surprised that Mick Doyle could have embelished what happened that night. I read Mr. Iole’s piece a few times and it seems like that’s who he got his information from. Mick’s a trainer and is always, always, going to pump up/protect his fighter. I think Mr. Iole should have tried to get the other side before he went to print.

That said, Mr. Lembo never once said that all of this didn’t happen right before the fight. He’s taking umbrage with who said what, not the time line. If all of this really did happen as close to fight time and Mr. Doyle is claiming it wasn’t right of NJACB to do what they did when they did it. Especially in light of the fact that Lembo said Houston was good to fight no matter what. Honestly, that came off as Mr. Lembo dancing a little (at least to me).

Houston Alexander got his ass kicked, period. I hope and pray he’s been working his Jits with as much intensity and disciple as he has worked his MT in the past. But all of that said the guy who walked into the cage to fight Silva didn’t look like the monster that KO’ed Jardine and Sakara in under two minutes combined. He looked off, like his head was somewhere else. While I don’t think that alone would have allowed him to over come Silva’s Gn’P, I do think that if Mr. Doyle’s time line is accurate, NJACB messed up.

• JJ says:

Props to you Adam for running a story like this, there definitely are a lot of questions I still have about this situation and hope more details will come to light and prevent things like this from happening again. Not being able to have a clear head when you enter the Octagon is just asking for trouble.

• garysg says:

Glad you wrote the story
    Yahoo and Iole’s story was highly inaccurate
    Credit for you to contact Lembo to get his explanation and we can make up own mind.
    And credit Lembo for speaking on the record.

• Rln says:

“Oh by the way I guess you think inspectors make these kinds of decisions at shows”

Are you reading impaired?? Where did I say this? The inspector was clearly acting as an agent for Lembo and the NJAC (“I sent an inspector as a witness”) and yet he clearly stated “I was the only representative there for the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board”. He is flat out lying about this fact. I wonder if it ever occured to Lembo that the unnamed board member was the inspector he sent to get the paper signed and not his egotistical self that he refers too (“so I’m the only one that could be involved in this story about the athletic commission.”)??

• rob says:

rln-

why dont you contact lembo yourself

you seem to be very jealous of him

are you upset that you are just an internet mma wannabe?

get a life

oh yeah, i guess you think that lembo reffed and judged the matches too

• Sam Caplan says:

Gary, I have to correct you. We did not contact Lembo. Lembo contacted 5 Oz. after seeing our blog posting of the Yahoo! article and expressed a desire to clarify his position. Even though we didn’t author the original report, I felt it was only fair to allow his side to be heard since we were displaying the other side on our site.

• rob says:

At least lembo’s not hiding behind a screenname
    What’s the matter rln?
    Why are you so scared of lembo?
    Did he smack you around or something?
    Why don’t you just come out of the closet.

• Eric Colon says:

Great job to Houston for fighting regardless of the any misunderstandings prior to the fight. Nick Lembo has done more for MMA than ANY Athletic Commission. As always there are 2 sides to a story. Houston appears in his interviews to be a nice guy. Lembo no doubt is a nice guy who’s only concern is the growth of the sport, health of the fighters and doing what is right.

Lets not forget the fight. Houston (a stand up fighter) came right in for the takedown against Silva (I believe a BB in BJJ). Did the months of training go out the window inside of couple of hours? Bad strategy.

I am sure Houston is training hard at his BJJ as he is a monster in his stand up. I have no doubt he will be looking for a rematch down the road.

Let the fight result speak for itself.

• KEVIN MULHALL says:

I HAVE WORKED AS AN OFFICIAL UNDER THE NJSACB FOR SEVERAL YEARS, I AM A HUGE FAN OF THE SPORT AND A HUGE FAN OF NICK LEMBO. MMA IS WHAT IT IS TODAY DUE TO NICK LEMBO AND LARRY HAZARD. THESE TWO MEN HAD THE GUTS TO STAND UP AND ORGANIZE MMA WHEN EVERY OTHER POLITICIAN WAS BASHING IT. MR. LEMBO TRULY CARES ABOUT THE SPORT AND EVEN MORE ABOUT ITS FIGHTERS. ANYONE WHO SAYS OTHERWISE DOES NOT KNOW MR.LEMBO.

KEVIN MULHALL

• Nick Lembo was doing his job. If Houston Alexander dies it is his ass on the line. Not only that the sport of MMA is still not universally accepted. It would have been a huge black eye on the sport. No one told Houston he could not fight. They wanted to make sure he was aware of the risk and accepted responsibility should an accident occur. I do not see the harm in that.

Now on to the comment of his trainer. What a crock of shit. His trainer is the reason he lost the fight. Alexander had ZERO BJJ. Thiago’s striking was better. His takedowns were better. His bjj was better. Thiago is just better than Houston at this point in their careers.

I have talked to Alexander before. I think he is a great dude. But he is new to the game and I am sure he will become more well rounded as he has more time to train. Being a great athlete is not enough to get by in today’s game.Making excuses for Houston’s performance is an insult to Thiago and an insult to our intelligence. Anyone who saw the fight could see he was over-matched.

That being said Nick Lembo is the man. He is responsible for the unified rules that the UFC uses today. His state stuck their neck out and tried to set a standard for all states to follow. IF not for Nick and the NJSACB, Nevada would not be on board today. Nick is constantly going to other states to testify before local govts to help legalize MMA. Most recently he has done this in MD and he travels on his own dime!!! Thanks to Nick’s contributions MMA has been approved by the senate in MD. Now we are waiting for House approval. So give the man the respect he is due.

• Amy says:

Nick has always followed up on any medical issues. If something would have happened to Houston, then the title of this blog would be “NJ Athletic Control Board neglects to do their job”. If Houston would have won the fight this would not be an issue. Lets move on from this issue and be greatful that the NJ commission continues to take a proactive approach to any medical conditions. It is about the safety of the fighters.

• Guys, first off it is Nick Lembo’s job to not only protect the fighter but also to protect the NJSACB…he is the counsel.

It sounds to me he was making sure the fighter understood the risks associated with fighting with one kidney.

As far as him being an attention whore, that is just absurd…Nick is more of a behind the scenes guy, so those statements are absolutely false!

Nick is instrumental in the growth of MMA & is highly respected not only in NJ but internationally…

Mike Constantino

• You hear of many problems that arise with Fights/ Fighters/Managers/Promoters. The goal is to keep the fighters as safe as possible. My heart goes out to Houston, passion is a rare thing to find in fighters today, and any fighter willing to get in the cage let alone get in the cage after giving an organ to save a life is Nobel . Nick Lembo without a doubt is the only man I know with the fighters best interest in mind. Lets get real we live in a world that you can loose your job and millions of dollars for saying the wrong thing let alone having someone get hurt in a fight. Im glad to have people like Nick Lembo watching out for the Greater good of ALL

• Amy says:

Nick Lembo has always taken any medical issue seriously. If Nick did not follow up on Houston condition and something happened the blog title will read “NJ Atletic Control Board Neglects to do their job”. If Houston won the fight this would not be an issue. So, let’s move on and wish Houston success on his next fight and give praise to the Nick and the commission for caring about the fighters.

• Dennis says:

Hey Eric Colon … I am curious how you became a UFC judge for their show in Nov. What was your exp as a Judge or Ref that allowed you to judge a UFC?

• jim genia says:

Piss-poor journalism from Kevin Iole is something we’ve all come to expect, but Adam Morgan’s failure to verify Iole’s story – and instead cite it as fact – was amateurish as all hell. How hard is it to call up Nick Lembo and get his side of the story before harping on something the NJSACB may or may not have done? Wait, let me answer that: it’s not hard at all. I’ve been covering MMA in NJ since 2000, and I can tell you that Lembo is exceedingly easy to get a hold of – and I can also tell you that no one is more concerned for fighter safety than Lembo.

If Adam Morgan is desperate for blog content, my cellphone is full of many years’ worth of fighter contact info. He’s more than welcome to call all those fighters up and shake them down for legitimate stories.

• Jerry Fatjo says:

I I would have to agree that Nick Lembo has done more for the sport of MMA than any other commission. I know that he is still on the forefront trying to keep all of the fighters safe and trying to grow the sport.

With that being said there are always 2 sides to every story. But his game plan should have remained the same. For him to shoot in on Silva, I think was poor planning.

I think New Jersey is lucky to have Nick Lembo looking out for the Saftey of the fighters and for the good of the sport.

• Eric Colon says:

Dennis…Some of the other bigger shows I have done are Mixed Fighting Championship VII, Reality Fighting II & VII, IFL Championships. My personal training and teaching is on http://www.njimbcabeca.com or http://www.tongdragon.com

• rob says:

where have all the internet warriors gone?

• Jim O'Connor says:

Nick Lembo conducts himself as a professional at all times.His concern is always fighter safety at these events.I have worked at several of these events as an inspector and have never seen or heard otherwise.He gives and recieves the utmost respect in dealing with , both his staff and every fighter with whom he conducts business.To even imply that Mr. Lembo would do otherwise shows me that you have never dealt with him on a personal or business level.

• Eric says:

Did he call all of his friends and tell them to go post here? That’s the only explanation. I really don’t have a position here, I just find it mildly sad someone would treat this like an online petition. Jesus.

• Evan says:

“There is an obscene number of people posting in here saying, “I know Lembo and he’s the greatest….””

Yeah…something very very odd….

Every time something comes about on an athletic commission I end up feeling like something is amiss.

• Sam Caplan says:

#33, could you clarify who you are directing your comments towards?

• Jim O'Connor says:

Mycomments were towards #2# 10 #13 #14etc.Basically ,anyone criticizing Nick Lembo’s judgement.

• Matt C. says:

Kevin Iole of Yahoo Sports wrote the original story; Five Ounces picked it up and brought it to the attention of our readers. If you have an issue with the facts represented in Iole’s story, you can let him know how you feel. Yahoo Sports provides a feedback form:

• Seems odd when people without a clue slam a respected professional and then think it is weird when professional fighters, trainers, etc come here to defend him.

• Huckaby says:

I know Nick Lembo and he’s the most professional in the world!

Sorry, getting brainwashed. It is incredibly odd 12 people would show up all at once to say the same thing. Almost organized. Give me my tin foil hat. If you want to blame someone blame the original story, this is a blog that took a story from a national source. That’s like you bitching at Deadspin over quoting someone from the LA Times. Well placed animosity at it’s best.

• Brent says:

“It is incredibly odd 12 people would show up all at once to say the same thing.”

• Darren says:

Nick Lembo is one of the best for the NJSACB.And whoever would say anything about him being an attention whore and obviosly not knowing him for the great person he is just enjenaral.And as for MMA and boxing he has done so much for the sport and deserves credit not b/s critisism.As far as the comment about the attention whore i will say a prayer for that person because he must be very unhappy to be saying something like that about someone who is the exact opposite who sits in the background making sure everything is moving along. Attention whore-what a joke. The person who said that should have put humble man in that spot.

• Evan says:

“Not really – people who actually are involved in the sport read this blog – if they posted a story about how Huckaby, Evan, or Eric’s parents were molesting farm animals, all 3 guys would run out of their parent’s basements and beg their high school buddies to post rebuttals.”

• NL Fan says:

Nick Lembo is the best , his piss has healing powers and his Shit cures cancer …

• Unreal says:

“So you’re saying Nick Lembo ran to his parents basement and begged his high school buddies to come here and post rebuttals?”

I don’t think that’s what he was saying, but when a NJSAC official comes on here and to publicly kiss his boss’s ass, something doesn’t quite add up (No. 22).

Nick Lembo has a documented history of grandstanding, showboating, and making himself the story. The fact everyone on here instantly believes a loudmouthed political appointee instead of Houston Alexander (ultimately, it is Alexander’s story, Iole is the one reporting his words), is astounding.

• Mick Doyle says:

Sam,
    Some of my fighters directed me to the page and I have read your piece and have also been reading the comments. I never post on blogs etc but give me a call or email and I will be happy to explain to you how this thing has been blown up out of all proportion and what Kevin’s original question to me was. I am sure Mr. Lembo was acting in the best interest of Houston, my only issue with it was the timing of it period! I have no problem with Mr. Lembo whatsoever, I don’t think I ever met the guy, and I am well aware that he was thrust into the event because of Larry Hazzards departure. I also made it clear to Kevin that we were not making excuses about the loss and I think Kevin does a good job of that in his interview. He simply asked me what kinds of thing were so different about that fight compared to the other two. My answer was the amount of media attention was overwhelming at times and the fact that nobody removed Houston from our dressing room to talk with commission people an hour before the other fights. I know that no other coaches that night had that happen to their fighters or had their fighters sign additional releases/paperwork on the night, and no coach in their right mind wants his fighter having to deal with anything or anybody else other than his own team on the night of a fight.
    I appreciate the work you guys do and I am so proud that this sport has so many passionate fans.

• rob says:

people come on here and call lembo egotistical, a liar, and a bullshit spewer but when real people in the industry post their comments, the internet warriors get upset.
    that’s why the ufc has problems with the internet media.

• rob says:

hey huck
    i think the replies are based on the comments not the original story

• rob says:

“Nick Lembo has a documented history of grandstanding, showboating, and making himself the story. The fact everyone on here instantly believes a loudmouthed political appointee.”

what’s the documented history???

any examples????

• rob says:

I didnt think he was timid or less ferocious , he went after him and even choke slammed him at one point but then he got taken down , mounted and ktfo … he could have had 4 kidneys and the samething would have happened.

Didn’t effect the bout – Alexander doesn’t have ground skills and was exposed.

Houston was gonna lose to Thiago regardless.

I’m glad Houston lost, as he disrespected him two opponents before that after knocking them out. Win with dignity and don’t disrespect.

No conspiracy in my opinion simply because the ENTIRE hype for that fight was riding on the success of Houston…. annnd he would have gotten his lunch eaten whether or not this would have happened.. Silva would have chuteboxed his arse back to where he came from regardless; Houston showed he has one trick, BUM RUSH and that’s all folks, if it doesn’t succeed, he loses period. Silva showed us he is the next Shogun/Wandy and is probably the most underated LHW right now in the division, (cause he’s Brazilian and doesn’t speak much English so he’s hard to promote to a rather ignorant crowd.

• Evan says:

Not sure how much good could come from this now…perhaps this thread should be locked if possible.

• Sam Caplan says:

Mick, I am trying to get your number but haven’t been able to as of yet. If you happen to be reading this, or anyone who knows Mick is reading this, please e-mail me at SCaplan8@comcast.net or ask Mick to e-mail me at that address. Thanks!

• Claudio Peabody says:

Issues can occur with any endeavor, the mark of a professional is the ability to perform despite the circumstances that surround an event.

BTW Nick is a world class ballroom dancer

• mike wolfe says:

In a post to Adam’s story, I suggested that the title to his article should have been “Pissing contest over missing kidney.” The title to this one should be “Pissing contest over pissing contest.”

• Unreal says:

“Does anyone realize that this issue deals with a professional athlete with one kidney. There are risks involved and the fighter needs to understand them. Fighter safety is paramount. ”

Do you really think Houston had no idea fighting with one kidney is a risk? Seriously. As if the thought never crossed his mind before Nick Lembo came riding in on his white horse and then after Lembo informed him, he was all “wow, I never thought of that before.”

But no, Mr. Nanny State just had to come tearing into his dressing room an hour before the fight and bring it up. Couldn’t have done it at any other time during the week, had to do it right before the fight.

And Big Government bureaucrats wonder why the people out there can’t stand them.

• rob says:

Well if houston knew about the risks why would lembo telling him about it shake him up so bad that he couldn’t perform and needs to use it as an excuse
    Like houston never knew having one kidney is a problem and lembo telling him this screwed everything up
    Gimme a break!

• NL Fan says:

Nick Lembo wins every pissing contest … his aim is true

• rob says:

If houston broke a nail before the fight would mick doyle blame the loss on that?

• rob says:

I lost a fight once because I sucked but I blamed it on lembo since I had a toothache.

• billy chacon says:

a pro learns to deal with adversity
    did houston just fight out he had one kidney? the answer is no. so he shouldnt have gotten so shook up over it.
    less kidney, more jiu-jitsu

• […] Nick Lembo, who was running shit for the NJAC on the MMA side since they canned Larry Hazzard, says otherwise: “What happened was my concern over the one kidney. I wanted Mr. Alexander to speak to our […]

• hbo's oz says:

hbo’s oz…

I Googled for something completely different, but found your page…and have to say thanks. nice read….