5 Oz. of Pain on CBSsports.com: Talking MMA and music with Atreyu

jared-005.jpg

(Pictured left to right: Atreyu rhytmn guitarist Travis Miguel; lead guitarist Dan Jacobs; lead singer Alex Varkatzas; and 5 Oz. sponsored grappler and jiu-jitsu black belt Jared Weiner)

Hey everyone, I wanted to give everyone a heads up that I don’t anticipate much posting today. I will be going to Brad Daddis’ Philly/Jersey MMA Cherry Hill location to watch the smoker that they will be hosting today. Several fighters from my school, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu United will be competing and I want to go to support them (it’ll be weird going to support the school considering I haven’t trained lately… but I think I’ve figured out a plan to get back in the gym).

In the meantime, feel free to check out my latest article on CBSSports.com. Jared Weiner, the head instructor of BJJ United has several celebrity students that he offers private lessons to. One of them is the hardcore/heavy metal band Atreyu.

Atreyu is based out of Orange County but whenever they are in the Philadelphia area they make it a point to train with Jared. Jared and the band were kind enough last week to allow me to observe one of their training sessions and then conduct an interview with me.

The end result was an article that is definitely unique but I think one that many people will find very interesting. You can check the article out by clicking here. Feel free to leave any feedback that you have here.

My plan is to do a post tonight about my experience at the smoker this afternoon but also my experience last night. I was at a fantasy baseball draft during ShoXC and watched much of the show after the draft had concluded. I have some interesting observations to convey after watching the show with a bunch of people who weren’t overly familiar with MMA, and pretty much had little product knowledge about EliteXC.

Without getting too much into detail, pretty much everyone there knew who Kimbo Slice was and were aware that MMA is coming to CBS. However, not everyone knew it’s going to be EliteXC. Of the ones who were aware of the EliteXC brand, they assumed that last night’s ShoXC card was an “A” show and a couple of them were less than impressed. It raised the question as to whether or not the ShoXC concept is really helping EliteXC’s brand image.

I will expound on my thoughts later tonight but two things to look for this coming week is an interview I did with 5 Oz. sponsored competitive grappler Jared Weiner. Also, I will have my prediction for the Cung Le vs. Frank Shamrock fight next week (I’ll have an essay stating who I like to win and why).

Enjoy your Saturday and I also wanted to wish everyone a Happy Easter.

• LikesToFightGuy! says:

Hey Sam looking forward to hearing what you think of the EliteXC brand. Personally I think it is less than stellar. I think alot needs to change before they hit primetime on May 31st. To me the only thing they got going for them is the pacing of the fights other than that I can not think of anything else. The announcing is awful, Mauro Ranallo is TERRIBLE. His knowledge of MMA is not great and Stephen Quadros is just annoying. The whole D.J and girls dancing like pigs is not needed. EliteXC needs to take a page out of the U.F.C production handbook, because I think they need alot of help in these areas or the 31st of May could be a mess.

• Interesting read Sam. Good job.

Also have to add that “Becoming the Bull” by Atreyu is definitely one of the better walk-in songs out there today. I believe Jeff Curran used it for his fight against Faber in December.

• bubbafat says:

I grew up watching Moron Renerdo(yes Mauro if you read this, I was one of the brats that use to call you that from under the press box at MSA Arena) call junior hockey games in my home town. While at the same time he appeared weekly on TV as a bad guy manager on Stampede wrestling based out of Alberta. I couldn’t stand him back then. But now… having seen the improvement over the last twenty years, hearing all the good things El Guapo has said about him, and seeing him finally getting some big shows. I have to admit he’s grown on me.
    Quadros is the man, by the way!

• Ryan M says:

Man, nice info and everything, and I’m glad to see Atreyu practices BJJ. But they have to be the worst band in the history of music. They at one point had a lot of potential. “Suicide….” was such a great album, single. And then………I just don’t know what has happened. At least Lamb Of God hasn’t pulled an “Atreyu, Avenged Sevenfold, Trivium….*Insert lame sell out, tight jeaned, emo, “winner” here*

• Sam Cupitt says:

I like Mauro… I liked him a lot better back in the Pride days when he wasn’t frothing at the mouth with metaphors and hyperbole but now he still does a decent job. Nowadays he seems like he’s doing an impression of himself.

And I don’t usually say WAR anyone because i think it’s stupid but,

WAR QUADROS!

• Evan says:

“I liked him a lot better back in the Pride days ”

You mean when he spent the entire broadcast talking about how much better PRIDE was than the UFC? Like when Randy was a co-host.

• Sam Cupitt says:

Yeah… those days.

You know… Ranallo busting a nut when Randleman knocked out Cro Cop.

• Evan says:

I think he is awful. The Chris Berman of MMA.

Your with me leather…

• Evan says:

or you’re….

/must proof read before hitting submit

• mike wolfe says:

Elite should make the commentators and the ring girls switch jobs every other round. Who knows? One of the ring girls might be better at play by play, and Mauro doing the grind would be noteworthy.

• Sam Cupitt says:

He is more knowledgable than Goldberg and that dude that does the WEC. He puts in a lot of effort with the Fight Network which you have to giev some respect to and I personally just prefer some variety to “ITS ALL OVER!”

That’s not to say I enjoy everything he says, I just like either laughing maniacally when the fighter I want wins and Ranallo likens his opponents failure to some obscure movie or I like taking my frustrations out on Ranallo when the reverse happens.

• Evan says:

The fact that he is better than most out there shows what a near impossible job MMA broadcasting is. I think it is the hardest job in sports broadcasting.

• Mike K. says:

I don’t mean to be a dick, but you misspelled “Atreyu” on the CBS page, it is currently listed as “Ateryu”. I figured it must be from a spell-checker, seeing that it is consistently mispelled.

I love the band, and am pumped that you wrote a piece on them. I love how they are involved in MMA, and I always notice their songs as walk-in music. Thanks!

• Sam Caplan says:

Evan, what you just said is the absolute truth. Broadcasting is not as easy as it looks. Unfortunately, the only way to truly grasp that is for someone to be in front of the microphone or camera, which is something so few people ever get the opportunity to do.

• mike wolfe says:

Mauro does alright while the fight’s underway. It’s the remarks before and after the fights that make me roll my eyes.