CBS Saturday Night Fights: fight card

Here’s the latest on the Saturday Night Fights first event:
Main Card

• Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson vs. James Thompson
  • Gina Carano vs. Kaitlin Young
  • Robbie Lawler vs. Scott Smith EliteXC MW Title Fight
  • Phil Baroni vs. Joey Villasenor
  • Jon Murphy vs. Brett Rogers (swing bout)

Undercard bouts will stream live on ProElite.com beginning at 7pm ET.

• JAMES “BINKY” JONES vs. CALVIN KATTAR @ 150
  • CARLTON HASELRIG vs. CARLOS MORENO @ 265
  • JIM BOVA vs. CHRIS LIGUORI @ 160
  • MATT MAKOWSKI vs. NICK SERRA @ 170
  • WILSON REIS vs. JUSTIN ROBBINS @ 140

Preliminary card (beginning at 6:30pm ET)

• ZACH MAKOVSKY vs. ANDRE “GIGETTO” SOARES @ 135
  • JOE SAMPIERI vs. MIKE GROVES @ 155

Card is not final and will be updated as fights are officially signed.

Check out more CBS event content on 5 Oz. of Pain.

• Mikey Gilz says:

What EliteXC lacks in talent, they seem to be making up for in matchmaking. I like all 4 fights up there, and i’m sure that whoever they spoon feed to Kimbo will be just as fun to watch.

• Matt says:

I agree. One must really credit their fight coordinator, Jeremy Lappen. This guy does an awesome job. Top to bottom, he put great fights on their cards (with the possible exception of some less-than-stellar ShoXC events). But their StrikeForce and EXC shows usually have at least 3–sometimes 4–great matches. What I love about this one is that even if Kimbo squashes a tomato can in the main event, there are still 4 good, solid matches already signed.

• paddiosf says:

So I wonder if there going to have a scrub to fight Kimbo..Where’s all the over the hill HW’s at? Is there any rumors on who they may match him up?? Antonio Silva?

• Matt C. says:

You guys are dead on about the matchmaking.
    – Kimbo will dominate who ever they put infront of him, they are not going to put a big challenge in front of him on the debut event.
    – Carano should peak a lot of interest from the casual fan (Google searches for her name skyrocketed after she appeared on Gladiators).
    – Lawler/Smith might a quick fight but has big KO highlight written all over it.
    – Baroni has a lot to prove after a few consecutive losses, though not sure what we’re going to get from Rua.
    – Big break for Murphy and Rogers, both guys deserve a chance to make a name for themselves on a large scale.

Overall, there are personalities in each matchup, which CBS production team should sink their teeth into.

• Tony Fennen says:

A+ Card and if they need a tuna can to fight Kimbo will toss my hat in the ring.
    I am a Jersey guy and will fight harder then Bo & Tank, I promise!

but seriously…. I want to see Kimbo fight Brett Rogers

• Matt says:

Paddio: Antonio Silva will not fight Kimbo just yet because: 1) he needs knee (I believe it is) surgery, and 2) they want to pad Kimbo’s W-L record. But I’d bet it will happen as soon as Kimbo wins a few more fights against some more scrubs. Bigfoot would appear to be the logical choice for his first big test in the future. Ricco should fight him when EXC is ready, too.

Tony: I am a Jersey guy, too. Maybe we could fight Kimbo together in an MMA handicapped match. Seriously, though, I want to see Rogers fight Kimbo, too, but those are probably two fighters they’ll keep apart for a time while they build up their records. Assuming, of course, that Brett beats Jon Murphy.

• kris says:

Kimbo vs ?.
    Everyone seems to think he’s good for mma (bringing the casual fan in) but I see this as money corupting sport.
    There were calls of “he’s legit” after he beat an old out of shape Tank. Was Tank ever a legit mma fighter himself, even when he was in his prime(10 years ago!).
    Sorry Kimbo your not even worthy of a main card let alone a main event untill you fight someone in the top 50.
    Otherwise good card.

• Jackyl says:

Again. Why does the sport have to be so pure? There are a lot of guys from other sports and such that see MMA has legs and they want to get in there and show what they have. I think it’s a great story that you have a guy with no formal martial arts training, no amateur wrestling, nothing that most of these pros have. What he does have is the fact that he’s just a big tough dude. So after beating some asses in some backyards, now he’s trying it in the ring. Even in those street fights there was sportsmanship displayed. He just learned to fight differently than what we’re used to seeing. I don’t think that makes him a black eye on the sport. I say the more Brock Lesnar’s and Kimbo Slice’s the better. It’s easy to say you’re the best and the toughest when you are in your own pool. Once you get in the ocean it’s a different story.

• kris says:

I’m not saying don’t let them play, I’m saying someone whos good at playing football in the backyard dosn’t deserve to be the big name in the superbowl without ever playing a season. I realise that there’s a method to their maddness but how can you be main event if you havn’t beaten anyone of note. It’s all hype and I’m not convinced that will lead to good things for mma.
    But having said all of that I would love to see the best athletes from all forms of fighting in mma, a ranking system put in and the best fighters fight no matter what organisation they contracted with.
    I’ll keep dreaming.

• Ryan Seacrest says:

I am ready to see this. Please get a contender for Kimbo. C’mon maybe since Tim Sylvia does not have a contract be could get his ass whipped by KIMBO.

• TerribleT says:

I’m sure they can find a scrub for Kimbo to fight. All the Elite XC has in their heavywight division besides Antonio Silva is scrubs and cans!!!!!!!!

• Shaun says:

all around good card. I wouldn’t mind seeing kimbo fight any of the five in the poll.

sean gannon – personal rematch. screams grudge match.

ken shamrock – still hall of famer though way out of his prime

don frye – hard hitter, pretty good record = slug match. i think it makes sense to be a good stepping stone so kimbo can get some experience before bigger tests. kimbo hasn’t been pushed yet or backed up. you got to at some point in your fight career.

buzz berry – came off his biggest win against shamrock (though ken’s riding huge losing streak). kimbo came of his biggest win so far against tank (although abbot’s like 9-14 though). see which one really has what it takes to make it big.

Big foot = biggest test. silva came of his first decision win over what many consider a washed up ricco rodriguez and is having knee surgery now. but is still a good and huge fighter from att. I don’t think Kimbo is used to fighting guys much bigger than him.. possibly i may be wrong.

• Miike says:

I like these fights as well and want Kimbo to win very badly but, he is fighting a badass dude. Thompson is 6’5″ and ripped and can definately throwdown so Kimbo will have, by far, the toughest match of his life against this guy. I just hope Kimbo dominates him so everyone will quit saying he hasn’t faught anybody good or anyone with a well rounded fight game. Come on Kimbo!!!

• dk says:

thompson is not a test hes another can so kimbo can look good. Glass chin look it up on youtube.

• shawnizzle says:

ufc 84 will be better ufc will always be better im just going to watch gina and kimbo robbie couldnt hack it in the ufc so sorry robbie.

• the Levi says:

HANDS of STEEL Scott Smith should get to fight Cung Le if he can beat Ruthless Robbie Lawler. I would say the winner of this fight should get a title shot against Le . but I think Robbie would get destroyed by leg kicks, just like Pete Spratt did.

• BlackbeltLT says:

How is this John Colossus Thompson fighting in the main event against Kimbo when he got knocked out against Brett Grim Rodgers in his last fight. Does that warrant an Main Event spot when you get knocked out or is EliteXC just trying to build ratings by setting Kimbo up with easy fights? When is he going to fight someone like Antionio Pezao Silva? If he wants legitimacy then he needs to fight legit fighters. Dont’ get me wrong, Kimbo has good hands and I loved watching his fights on the internet, but if he wants the respect of a legit fighter, then prove it against legit fights.

• BlackbeltLT says:

OH BTW Brett Grim Rodgers is the first fight on the card. How in the heck do you get that, but the guy you beat is in the Main Event. HMMMM

• JohnnyMann420 says:

Hmm didn’t the last two fights seem like BS.

The outcomes were crap. I hear Smith tell the doctor, I’m ok…

That was BS! They didn’t even give him his five minutes and his eyeball wasn’t even red or anything. Complete crap…they were getting low on time or something.

Kimbo match…. Ending completely sh*t.

I am not saying he wouldn’t have won but why did the ref stop then? If it was the ear then why didn’t he call the Doctor?

If it was because he got rocked by those shots to the head….Umm he wasn’t down or out …… Hell they let the ladies duke it out way past the point of being able to the stop the fight.

Also when Kimbo was laying there, not defending himself for a minute and a half, why wasn’t the fight stopped there?

My guess is they needed Kimbo to win, regardless and so the ref and others kind of did what they wanted on their damn decisions.

I want Kimbo to do well… I firmly believe he is the sh*t and his punches are rockets, but tonight was complete utter bullsh*t.

Most of the card was good, but in my opinion the last two cards were kind of shady.

• Mike G says:

i agree with the last comment thompason had that fight, and i think they robed him, he was on his feet and staggering, but his hands where up and he was punching back, the ref actually stops the fight as thompason is throwing a jab ( which was a realy crapy jab) but at least he was defending himself and fighting back, the bust hear didnt mean shit, it blood so what if Kimbo could have gotten the KO he would have but he was to gassed,….i liked the rest of the card, excepted for the lawler/smith fight , which i think should have continued

• Pat says:

I watched this a few Saturdays ago on CBS and loved it. Unfortunately I have not seen it since on CBS Saturday night. Anyone know if this has been cancelled, or on a different channel ?

TIA