Exclusive Interview: Frank Shamrock shares last-minute thoughts on Cung Le fight; states that he and brother Ken Shamrock were never close; reveals settlement with the UFC; and more!

23765_eeiclgduqf_vlarge.jpgWith just less than 36 hours left until his Strikeforce middleweight title defense against Cung Le on Saturday in San Jose, defending champion Frank Shamrock was gracious enough to take time out and speak exclusively with ProElite.com (SamCaplan.ProElite.com). The transcription of that conversation is now available for your reading pleasure.

Sam Caplan: In a recent interview you made the accusation in an interview with MMAMadness.com that Ken Shamrock has been using steroids his whole life. MMAjunkie.com published a statement earlier this week in which Ken made a full denial of your claims. Do you stand by your statement?

Frank Shamrock: Oh yeah. Yeah. I apologize; I thought it was common knowledge. I don’t know why Ken would lie about it. I was the guy who picked him up after he had his bitch tits removed. In our family it was common knowledge.

Sam Caplan: From my perspective, it just seems kind of crazy that you would throw your own brother under the bus like that. After making the accusation was there any second guessing on your part? Is there any remorse on your part or do you feel the comments were justified?

Frank Shamrock: (Laughs) Someone asked me a question and I answered what the truth was. If Ken has taken offense to it then he should own up to it. If he didn’t do steroids he should say so. He shouldn’t lie to the public and pretend like he didn’t. We all knew that he did. My father knows that he did. It was common knowledge to anybody and everybody in our family and in our camp. But it’s the past. I don’t really care about it. I didn’t say to try and hurt Ken. I said it because someone asked me about the steroid problem in the sport and if I knew anybody that had done it and I told him the truth. And I told him the reason why I would never do it and it was because I saw what had happened to Ken.

Sam Caplan: Have you spoken to Ken or anyone from his camp after you made the accusation?

Frank Shamrock: Uh, after I told the truth I have not spoken to anybody. It’s not an accusation. It’s the absolute truth and whether Ken wants to admit it or not, it’s the truth.

Sam Caplan: There have been some people who feel the “Blood Brothers” aspect has been over-hyped. They claim that you weren’t even introduced to Ken until later in life and because you were adoptive brothers and that the two of you were never really close. How do you respond to something like that?

CLICK HERE TO READER THE REMAINDER OF THIS INTERVIEW ON SAM CAPLAN’S PROELITE.COM BLOG

• Great interview, Sam. Thanks.

• kris says:

This fight is worth watching for sure.
    I have no idea what to expect.
    Is this card being streamed for free? if so where and how?.

• Sam Cupitt says:

Tis a very good interview.

I do have a feeling Shamrock’s hands will be better than Cung’s hands but standing with Cung would still be a bit stupid. You can train hard for those kicks but if you havent fought someone with that in their arsenal for years upon years it isn’t really going to be in your muscle memory to defend all of them.

Shamrock isn’t one to shoot though probably because his knees are made out of styrophoam.

• Ian says:

What a great interview, Sam.

That’s just good work right there.

• Nick says:

Good job Sam, as always. Not to take anything away from your interview, but Frank is almost always a slam dunk too. What a fantastic personality for the sport. You either love him or hate him. but either way you listen. I am looking forward to the fight. Sam, thanks for all the great work you do. You make it fun to be a fan.

On a side note, I wish Frank and Dana could work something out, I would love to see that fight with Anderson.

• Evan says:

Good interview but I wish you had asked him as a follow up if you don’t think Tito is wanting his way out instead of the UFC just forcing him out. Tito is after all being very vocal about wanting to leave.

• slimm says:

Great interview,
    I think personally that Anderson would win against Frank in like the second round, Frank is good but, i doubt he could even beat Hendo, there is little chance he could beat Silva right now, holes in his game yeah everyone “sees” them but fail to take advantage of them during the fight, its a standard answer, ofcourse i see holes in his game, yada yada whatever…..
    Sam thank u for asking if he ever has done “performance enhancing drugs” finally someone does an interview with Shamrock and just asks him… hey he probably has @some point of his carrer, imo, but if not great for him… atleast you asked him, which ALOT of reporters havent done….
    Cung Le has a fighters chance yes, but i think he has a better chance than Phil did, and i hope that he (Le) does walk away with the win….. Maybe Frank will open up a fight brand that will bring in fighters that are at the end of the careers and over~hype those fights so they can make their retirement money…… ahhhh thats YAMMA forgot
    again thx Sam, cheers……

• Mike Wolfe says:

Very good read. I sincerely hope Frank is mistaken and MMA doesn’t resort to a pro wrestling model to promote fights. Those kinds of theatrics fit well with pro wrestling, but MMA is full contact and not scripted. Using the pro wrestling model would undercut that.

I think Frank is trying to bait Cung Le when he characterizes outside striking as “running”. Frank needs to keep Le in close so he can hit and shoot, and insinuating that Le is afraid to stand and trade might help Frank do that. It will be interesting to see if Le falls for it. I bet he doesn’t.

• Jackyl says:

I think this interview brought up an interesting point. The UFC has this attitude that they are the only relevant MMA brand. They refuse to do cross promotions and things of that nature because they don’t want to share any of their spotlight. While this makes sense from a business point of view, it doesn’t do very good for the sport. I’m sure they could have made the Fedor vs Randy fight happen last year. But the UFC doesn’t want to co brand the event. But here’s something that needs to be whispered in Dana White’s ear…. You are the top dog. As long as you keep signing good fighters and paying them the most, you are the top dog. Even if another promotion gets some coverage because of a co-branded event…. you are still on top. As long as you are looked at as the A league, you are on top. See where I’m going? Let the other promos get their love, it can only do good for the sport and you may find some guys worth signing. Pay your fighters better than the other guys and you’ll always be one step ahead. Get the fights the fans want to see.

• Evan says:

” it doesn’t do very good for the sport. ”

Why sould Dana White care about that? That isn’t his job.

• Jackyl says:

Interesting counter. No it’s not his job to care about the sport. But part of his job is putting together the fights that fans want to see. Putting asses in the seats as he would say. The UFC is on the verge of thinking people will buy their shows anyway, so why worry about the matchups. Look at the fights listed for the undercard of Rampage vs Forrest. It’s a damn Fight Night card. I guess they are just trying to ride the hype that this season of TUF is going to generate but I’m not buying that card unless they get a couple more marquee matchups. We need at least 2 or 3 big fights on a card to justify paying for the ppv, especially with their price increase.

• Evan says:

” But part of his job is putting together the fights that fans want to see. ”

Considering the growth of MMA at the hands of the UFC I would say that has been done.

But I understand your overall point and I agree. I was never really arguing so much as expressing that I am always puzzled when people think that the UFC and Dana White are somehow responsible to do what’s right for the sport.

The IFL, EliteXC, DREAM, Strikeforce etc would destroy every other league the moment they got the chance and do what’s best for them.

Nobody cares about the sport except for the fans…the leagues are all in this for the money. Oh they will claim they care about MMA even Dana used to. But that was when the UFC was in the red struggling.

This isn’t charity. Much money is to be made.

• Mike Wolfe says:

I don’t have much patience with fighters like Tito and Frank who claim they were mistreated because they made less in the earlier years of the UFC. Look what happened in other pro sports. Pro baseball players in the ’40’s and 50’s, including greats like Ted Williams, made less than players in the 60’s and 70’s, who in turn made much less than players in this era. The growth and success of MMA is what increases the fighters’ earnings, not UFC’s dictatorial powers. They aren’t happy with the UFC, so they moved on. Good for them; that’s the free market system at work.

In the wake of the M-1/Fedor crack up, White’s statements about why the Couture fight didn’t happen have more credibility. What would have happened if a joint venture between UFC and M-1 ore some other brand fell apart ? UFC looks bad and its brand is potentially damaged. A business has to be very careful about its business relationships. I’m sure that market dominance is also a consideration for UFC, but it’s not the only one.

• slimm says:

i agree Mke Wolfe, nicely done

• blah says:

mike wolfe is right. also, who wants 1000000 championship belts floating around that no one cares about like in boxing.

• screwface says:

lol @ “I was the guy who picked him up after he had his bitch tits removed.”
    can someone explain that to me? i know steroids are bad for a number of reasons, but i never heard this one before.

• slimm says:

i assume that perhaps when ken stopped using roids that his pecks turned into fat and water started sagging and ken went to a plastic surgen to have them “tucked\reshaped” , just assuming here… funny ass line though

• hellyeah says:

Ya slimm, steroids cause a lump of hard fat to appear under the nipple area, making it appear to look like a female breast! I’ts very common when you use steroids- Iv’e seen it before on guys who’ve used-why I never will use.