UFC Fight Night 13 Preview

icfc.jpg Tonight’s special three-hour UFC Fight Night 13 telecast will represent three quarters of a four-hour fighting marathon on SpikeTV tonight. In addition to the live fights, the season premiere for the seventh season of “The Ultimate Fighter” will follow immediately after.

On paper, it looks like fight fans could be in store for an exciting ride with some excellent matchups scheduled for UFN 13 and a new twist to the TUF format that requires fighters to win a fight before they can become an official part of the cast.

Here is a preview with predictions for the six fights scheduled to air on tonight’s broadcast from Broomfield, Colorado.

Kenny Florian vs. Joe Lauzon

I initially felt this match was too soon for Lauzon. However, it’s easy to forget that before going on TUF, Lauzon had pulled off a dramatic upset over Jens Pulver, who at the time was a highly ranked lightweight. The win over Pulver combined with Lauzon’s two subsequent wins after the show makes him a title contender in my estimation.

This is a strong matchup with both fighters being very skilled on the ground. When it comes to fighting on the mat, I still have to give the nod to Florian, who continues to refine his jiu-jitsu game and is always working on new and innovative techniques. On the other hand, Lauzon deserves a slight edge on the feet. While Florian’s Muay Thai has improved leaps and bounds, I consider Lauzon to be the more explosive, aggressive of the two.

It’s really hard to pick a winner in this one. Both are highly competitive fighters that are always prepared. I don’t think 15 minutes is enough for one man to put the other away. I am convinced that this fight is going to the judges.

CLICK HERE TO READ THE REMAINDER OF THIS UFC FIGHT NIGHT 13 PREVIEW ON SAM CAPLAN’S PROELITE.COM BLOG

• Luke says:

I give Sam’s picks two thumbs up.

• Gabber says:

“..Lauzon’s two subsequent wins after the show makes him a title contender in my estimation.”

What about his loss to Manny Gamburyan?I know it was exhibition, but he still had no answer for Manny, who I would consider a mid-pack LW.

• Jay K. says:

If this goes to the judges… Heavy favoritism moves it’s heavy hand to KenFlo.

“My name is KenFlo and I finish Fights!”

True Dat!

Go Kenny!!

• Freedom says:

makes no sense…

• Rich S. says:

#4,
    whether it makes sense now or not.. if he beats KenFLo.. he WILL be in contention..

• Rich S. says:

“I don’t think 15 minutes is enough for one man to put the other away. I am convinced that this fight is going to the judges.”

well, i thought that about KenFlo vs. Thomas also.. but.. we saw how that turned out..

that’s why this fight is suuuuuuuuch a toss-up..

• Cobra Kai says:

Rich S., Thomas blew out his knee going for a take down. What do you mean “we saw how that turned out”? Are you expecting Lauzon to blow out his knee?

• Freedom says:

#5
    Theres Huerta, Guida, Edgar, Stevenson… that he has to go through. No title shot till he beats these guys.