UFC Fight Night 13 Thoughts & Commentary

icfc.jpgKenny Florian is still finishing fights.

KenFlo likes to let us all know that he finishes fights, but he delivered on his promise tonight by finishing Joe Lauzon via TKO in the second round. The first round was a well fought round by both guys with a lot of back and forth action, scrambles and transitions. The second round, however, was another story and was completely dominated by Florian. He took it to another level, took Lauzon down, passed his guard, and finished him from the mount. Perhaps it was too much, too soon for Lauzon, but either way Florian’s win was impressive. Is he ready for a lightweight title shot? I don’t think so just yet, but a fight with Roger Huerta is one I would love to see for #1 contender status.

Karo Parisyan has a legitimate beef.

Karo has a legitimate beef with the stoppage of his fight with Thiago Alves. Yes, he was rocked, yes he was taking punishment, but he certainly didn’t look out of it. With a veteran like Parisyan you have to give him the benefit of the doubt and the referee failed to even give Karo a chance to defend himself. Would it have ended any differently had the ref not stopped the fight? Hard to tell, especially with what kind of condition Karo looked to be in (terrible) and his inability to force the fight to the ground when he needed to. Whether it would have affected the outcome or not, the bottom line is that Karo should have been given the chance to fight back.

Frankie Edgar may want to consider moving down to 145 lbs.

That’s not a knock against Edgar, but he was overpowered and outsized by Gray Maynard tonight. Maynard completely lifted Edgar off his feet and slammed him with ease three times in the second round. The fight was close for the first two rounds, but Maynard had the edge in the third, imposing his will with his wrestling and strength. For Edgar in the 155 lbs. division it really only gets tougher as far as big, strong guys who are dropping a ton of weight to get down to 155 lbs. Edgar doesn’t cut much weight and he can make the 145 lbs. division, a place where I think he is much better off. WEC is making their fight league the premiere place for the lighter weight classes and it might do Frankie some good to test the waters at a weight where he might be more dominant.

The Tim Boetsch hype train has lost a good amount of steam.

Boetsch has potential, don’t get me wrong, but he was not ready for a guy as freakishly strong and as good of a wrestler as Matt Hamill. Having Hamill on top of him for the better part of a round really took the wind out of Boetsch. He looked crisp to begin with, but his cardio was nowhere near where it needed to be to compete with someone like Hamill. Both guys are still incredibly rough around the edges and Hamill certainly had his scares in the fight, eating some big knees and punches from Boetsch. He was too much for Boetsch in the end. Let’s let Boetsch get some more fights under his belt in the UFC before we start talking crazy again.

Oh, and did Joe Rogan really say “rape choke” during the replay of the end of this fight when Hamill was on top of Boetsch? Damn. I love Rogan and his announcing, but “rape choke” on Spike TV might be taking it a little too far.

The Houston Alexander hype train has come to a screeching halt.

Two big KO wins, one TKO loss, and a KO loss. Houston Alexander is now 2-2 in the UFC against mid-level competition outside of his win against Jardine. He has little to no ground game, as we saw against Thiago Silva. And now his chin is in question after a glancing punch from James Irvin hit him on his jaw. Where does Houston Alexander go from here? He certainly makes things exciting, either knocking someone out or getting knocked out himself, but that’s no way to live as a successful fighter. Houston was supposed to be the UFC’s “next big thing” and this was supposed to be a fight to put Houston over with the crowd again. Irvin spoiled those plans and honestly, an eight second knockout has to be a bit embarrassing for Houston. I imagine that next time Houston Alexander is on a card, it won’t be on TV or PPV. Just a hunch.

Nate Diaz passed his biggest test yet with flying colors (and fingers).

Forget about the first round. Let’s talk about how he came back after having the piss beat out of him for five minutes in the first round. Diaz’s guard is extremely dangerous and he has proven it on more than one occasion so far. If there’s one place you do not want to be on the ground with Diaz, it’s in his guard. Pellegrino recognized that to begin with and was constantly trying to pass, but if you give Diaz enough time, he’ll eventually catch you. And that’s exactly what happened. Diaz weathered the storm, waited for Pellegrino to make the mistake, and capitalized on it. Are there holes in his game that Pellegrino took advantage of? Surely. Was Diaz able to overcome all of that and still come out on top with an impressive victory over a very tough and seasoned opponent. Yes, and that’s all that really matters.

Anthony Johnson took Tommy Speer to school.

That’s really all there is to say about that.

• Grape Knee High says:

There was a Tim Boetsch hype train?

I would’ve thought he’d need to beat someone that actually doesn’t suck first.

• natureboy says:

Anthony Johnson’s win was beautiful. The sight of Tommy Spear propped up against the fence was amazing and sad.

• Owen says:

damn, diaz is the next nog. gets his ass whooped then pulls off a submission.

• Michaelthebox says:

Anybody notice that Hamill’s chin has improved remarkably? I thought either Grove or Bisping rocked him badly on TUF, to the point where they were talking about how he couldn’t take a punch. Boetsch landing a huge knee flush on the chin, and Hamill didn’t even seem to notice. He’s fought his last few fights like he could give a rats ass what his opponent throws.

• m3g4d37h says:

Karo is a veteran, nothing more, and what he has done more so than any successful fighter of his caliber is bore people. He plays it safe, and tonight the ref played it safe. See..? The knife cuts both ways.

• clint notestine says:

I’d like to see some of these fights rematched in a city that is not a mile in altitude. I think that was one of the reasons Boetsch looked so winded.

Karo was pretty much out and if the fight had gone any longer he would have taken some unanswered blows to the face. that said I wouldn’t mind a rematch.

I hate to say it but Alexander needs to move to the WEC.

Speer is a crappy version of Matt Hughes, enough said.

• slapp yo mammy says:

Karo, karo, karo… I suppose he shouldn’t have lobbied so hard to fight somebody “more easier” than jon fitch. He looked out of it all fight, and whether the stoppage was premature or not, he wasn’t exactly in a good place. He was getting thrashed and the ref stopped it. You wanna piss and moan about it? Don’t suck next time.

• Tanner says:

the triangle off a guillotine, the double middle fingers in the air, the flex, and then the tap was the highlight of the night for me.

• Jesse Denis says:

Are you kidding me? “Rape Choke” made my night.

• Wang Chung says:

meh, i dunno about the karo/alves stoppage being premature…that was a pretty nasty knee to the dome. you gotta think karo has taken plenty of shots in the ufc and he’s never been crumpled like an old ladies knees giving out. it’s always hard to tell just how out of it a fighter is unless you’re right in there or you’re right next to the cage with a good view of the fighter’s face.

• mo dogg says:

any thoughts on the booing tonight? the fights were so fast you didn’t catch a whole lot. But i noticed a lot for Karo (maybe they felt he was complaining after losing), and i heard some boo’s when they had Rampage on the screen and for Kenny Florian? Why would they boo these guys. is it possible that we are seeing the second generation of TUF noobies and they don’t care about K-Flo, just the most recent seasons? I can’t think of any other reason besides this.

• Sean says:

Any reason given for Lauzon not starting back in Florian’s guard, after the warning for the shots to the back of the head? Not that it would have changed the outcome, but still took Lauzon out of a better position…

BTW, Lesnar was deducted a point for less shots than Florian landed…

• Wang Chung says:

ps-speer looked terrible. i’m not sure he’s worthy of the ufc to be honest. he got smoked at the tuf finale, and johnson put him through a 2 minute phd schooling.

• Nick says:

Boestsch let me down, Houston let me down. BAD NIGHT.

Gotta appreciate the sportsmanship of Hamill though. Really good guy.

• russ says:

Overall good card.
    Karo had a legit beef in ref stoppage. Boestsch looked so winded I guess the Mile High air got to him bad..
    I was so hyped for the Irvin/Houston fight,but man over in 8 seconds..I think one more loss and Houston is gone..
    Felt the most sorry for Speers,he got beaten badly.Anthony got some potential..
    Best fight of the night imo was the Diaz fight,loved it…

• slimm says:

damn Houston really, fucking really?

“Diaz is the next Nog”, yeah he is a tough guy parden the pun but he is not the next Nog imo

the card was good but i dont think that the card lived up to the “hype” thankfully it was free and good entertainment Karo you got nailed now u wont be fighting Jon anytime soon ask for a rematch kid… Hamill, hell good fight his chin has seemed to improved and it was nice to see him get a win after that whole Bisbing bs, good on ya hammer seems to be a great guy much success to him, Houston to the WEC ya, v Tim ya whynot…….. Rape Choke wow classic, yet not a bad way to spend the evening…. cheers

• Erik W. says:

He went limp, which is something refs are taught to look out for. It was a good stoppage, IMO.

• albert says:

Im tired of hearing people say that they should have given Karo more time, Alves is not an amatuer fighter people, who knows what kind of damage he wouldve done to Karo. Stop the griping and face the fact that Karo underestimated alves skills.

• Simco says:

“Boetsch vs. Alexander could be a good match-up with a major “loser leaves ufc” overtone to it.”

Is Boetsch “in” the UFC? Haven’t both these fights been last minute “uh, we need someboday” fights? I honestly don’t know.

• William W. says:

Karo has no beef. He went limp, dropped into a fetal position and then took four hard shots. Only after the ref stepped in did he roll to his back and pretend he was still trying to pull guard and in the fight.

• Tom Biggins says:

Man, Houston let me down, but I called the Hamill fight perfect. I thought it was a damn good UFN.

And the stoppages were fine, Houston wasn’t gonna get off his back and Karo tried to act like he was in the fight whe the ref stepped in…if he would have threw his arms up like that WHILE getting punched, the fight wouldn’t have got stopped, it’s his fault, and no one elses.

• tony says:

Karo was out. a gif of a better angle is on sherdog, go look at it. karos arms arent up, they fall back.

• Cipher says:

It was sad to see Speers against the fence, not that I am a fan, but he looked terrified. Really good night of fights, Diaz has no class but is fun to watch though. Does anyone else think it’s weird that Joe gets a shot at Ken-Flo while the guy who won TUF and the guy who beat him in TUF are not being hyped as much, take away the fight with Pulver and Joe would just be another 155 nub. Just a thought.

• Todd says:

I’m pretty sure Joe called it a “straight” choke.That’s the technical name for that choke.

• Cipher says:

Oh, I forgot, I actually laughted out loud when THE HEAT lost, I guess that title shot keeps on getting farther and farther away. So much for a sure thing for a win.

• ranger1071 says:

Todd (#23) That is the technical name for the choke, but I know plenty of guys in both my gym and others that call it a “rape” choke, and that’s what it sounded like to me.

Adam I have to disagree with you about Karo getting jobbed. He didn’t just take that knee but Alves landed three other solid shots and while maybe he was bring that knee up to defend but if I’m the ref I can also seeing that as classic “I’m done” fetal position. It’s all in your perspective.

Also Karo’s rep hurt him. He really has never been rocked like that and sometimes you see a guy who hasn’t that happened to him before, he eats a few more shots, looks like he’s curling up. I don’t think it’s out of the realm of “fair” for the ref to call it.

• Hogan says:

Question:
    Lesnar striking Mir in the back of the head results in a 1 point deduction and the 5 minute clock running for Mir to recover. Florian striking J Lo in the back of the head resulting in a pretty nasty cut gets a warning and no recovery time. Why???
    Questionable stoppages with Karo and Houston, What the hell is going on with these officials since the departure of Big John? Anyone???

• ufcfan says:

i’m not as sold on the karo having a legitimate beef, he’s knees buckled huge and was taking some hard gnp from alves.

houston was out, don’t care what he says. good stoppage.

• Eric says:

I was let down because they didn’t show the Clay Guida fight, kudos to him for winning, but man is that guy entertaining.

• Dayzah says:

Houston has zero class , too say he wasnt out if fin retarded and by saying his kids hit harder etc he disrespected Irvin … I loved the part where he was trying too explain too Joe Rogan about why he didnt defend .. um um next thing I know I woke up…

• slap yo mammy says:

i agree dayzah. and that’s funny too because that means Houston’s kids have knocked him the F out before. “I was “conscience,”” he said.

Do normal “conscience” people open their arms and welcome a barrage of unprotected face shots and then lay their heads on the mat?

• slap yo mammy says:

just like i said about karo earlier… i can’t be sympathetic to any fighter who gets themselves worked over, put in a bad situation, and then are the victims of a stoppage. just don’t get yourselves in that situation. if you’re so good, then win.

• brett says:

honestly best fightnight yet.

karo, ya got dropped buddy; get over it.

houston, ya got caught. keep ya hands up next time.

• kight_j says:

#27 if you have never been knocked out you wouldn’t know this but you don’t think you were out its not like in the movies where you wake up from a sleep you honestly don’t even realize that a second ticked by while you were out I don’t think it was poor sportsmanship I think he really didn’t know he was out it was a good stoppage and I am sure after watching the tape Alexander will probably agree.

for the record I am not an Aleander fan I picked Irvin in that fight

• Derek B. says:

“Yes, he was rocked, yes he was taking punishment, but he certainly didn’t look out of it.”

Adam you must be biased. Watch the fight again and watch how Karo’s knee’s completely buckle after he was rocked. There was no way that he would have been able to regain composure after the shot. He was completely out of it and would have probably caused more damage to himself if he was allowed to continue the fight.

• Hogan says:

I continue to be impressed with the performances turned in by Nate Diaz. I know some people will gripe about the early celebration once the triangle was locked in but I kinda liked it.
    Anthony freekin Johnson…nuff said

• Danny says:

I dont understand the stoppages in the ufc. Nog gets rocked by herring and they let him continue. Karo looks the same as nog and the ref jumps in. i dont get it. its seems to me a lot of the fighters were affected by the altitude (lauzon, boestch, alves). frankie edgar? 145 buddy. these guys r only gonna get bigger (penn, sherk, k-flo). i was semi impressed with nate diaz in this fight. he got his ass handed to him in the 1st and just had the presence of mind to know where he was at and knew what to do right after he got salmmed. pellegrino made a huge mistake by leaving that right arm under diaz’s leg. other than that, i thought the fights were exciting. great show imo.

• Hogan says:

Just watched the fights again. Houston was a good stoppage. Still having a hard time with the Karo fight. I had to laugh when Karo lost though, the Karma train made a stop at his house. Easy win Huh?

• Jay K. says:

Dare I say it? Must I mention it? I hate to admit it, but Herb Dean was better than Mazagatti last night! Mazzagatti was a f’king JOKE with his two controversial stoppages last night. It was frustrating to see Houston go down like that and Karo as well. Mazza’stache didn’t even have the line of sight to call the fight on Karo. I did want Karo to lose, but not that way! Overall, the ‘stache was more protective of the fighters than a mother bear over her cubs.

Herb Dean, Adam Martinez and the others were on their game and were solid.

Overall, a great night of UFC with no complaints other than Mazzagatti’s ghastly performance.

Jay K.

• samscaff says:

No controversy to my mind.

Both Houston and Karo got (temporarily) KTFO.

Houston went completely limp and Karo dropped like a sack of potatoes and ate multiple unanswered punches while he lay motionless with his head on the canvas.

I wanted these fights to continue as much as the next guy, but there was absolutely nothing wrong with either stoppage. Just because a guy wakes up a split second after being unconcious (a la Chuck vs. Rampage), you cant argue that it shouldnt have been stopped. The ref is only human, he cant see into the future.

• Stellar53 says:

You are an idiot and should stop writing about mma if you think that Karo got screwed…..he was clearly not defending himself and was about to get really hurt……..

not to mention a bunch of other unintelligent articles you have written here…

• cyph says:

I’m surprised people are bagging on Boetsch. The guy took the fight on short notice and fighting at high altititude! When he didn’t gas, he was taking Hamill to the cleaners. Of course, no cardio means no win. Lets give him a chance with three months of preparation. The guy has some sick knees and great kicks for a light heavy.

• glock says:

Houston missed a great opportunity to start salvage operations by not just saying
    “yeah he caught me, my mistake, it happens I feel like an idiot” and let it be.
    Instead by saying his kids hit harder he looked like someone the UFC definitely don’t need around.

Karo got rocked and I could see letting it go on, but brain trauma is more important and frequently harder to overcome than an “L”. Not to mention that the LAST thing UFC needed was the risk of a serious injury – in any fight- at this juncture and on cable or the subsequent bad press a real injury might bring to the sport.

Frankie fought a bigger version of himself, that was a no-win odds wise.

Nate! I love that fu@%ing kid. What a heart. What a head. He should be
    Nate “REAL DEAL” Diaz. I think Dana knows what he has there.

Anthony Johnson looked amazing, I need to see more….

• CAP says:

The “rape choke” comment may have not been necessary although it did make me laugh…and shake my head. That caught me off gaurd.

And I was fine with both stoppages, especially with the Sandman.

• Danny says:

alexander’s chin is suspect. remember, he got dropped pretty quickly by jardine. he just happened to recover right away and came back in dramatic fashion ala sylvia vs AA. he’s not ready 4 the elite.

• Danny says:

in addition, alexander would be a great opponent 4 brian stann imo

• jaydog says:

“RAKE CHOKE”, short for “trachea” because his thumb was cutting off the guy’s air.

If any of you seriously thought you heard “rape choke” then that’s a freudian slip that you should be ashamed to admit. With all due respoct, get your heads checked and/or your ears cleaned out.

The refs called stopped those fights correctly, IMHO. Network deals are around the corner and we have to expect the game has to evolve a bit (even though I think both guys were getting pounded out brutally, if 10 more seconds went by. what the refs react to is the sack of potatoes falling to the mat, the frozen twitching limbs, and the limp carcass look no matter how brief that is).

• jaydog says:

“respoct” – that too (nice typo)

• jaydog says:

More on the alleged “rape choke” comment.

• paddiosf says:

Great Night of fights for sure, like previous comments Speer laying there on the fence was like reminsecent of UFC of old, KenFlo mentioned he wants Huerta next.. I’m sure BJ wants Kenflo after Sherk..he must be pissed his boy Lauzon was beatdown by KenFlo..Nate Diaz is a lightweight version of Big Nog..Alexander hype train is a loss away from being on the Premilanary card..Maynard is the second coming of Matt Hughes with better standup…And Joe Rogan’s comment “Rape Choke” isn’t going to fly with any major network if the UFC signs with ESPN..when I first heard it, I thought I was hearing things and had to rewind my DVR to make sure I heard that..I’m sure it’s sponsors like Budweiser aren’t big on comments like that..

• Ram Maramba says:

My Quick Notes:

* I tried to hear “rake,” but after 20-plus rewinds I kept hearing “rape.” Maybe I do need to see a therapist; my wife now agrees after hearing what sounds like “rape” repeatedly while I rewound the video back to a guy straddling another guy…

* Of the two controversial stoppages, I’ll admit my bias against Alexander and his post-fight macho BS. Good on James Irvin.

* Adam Martinez looks like an “In Case Of Emergency” Referee. When other refs aren’t able to make it to the event, they find that red box in the corridor, break the glass and dust of Mini Ref. Also looks like his father’s name is Gomez. So many jokes…

* Boetsch would’ve won that fight if he was in better condition. He was able to fend off Hamill in the early going and was schooling him in standup. I hate the altitude excuse; these guys have ample time to acclimate.

* Hamill’s lip was ridiculously nasty.

* Anthony Johnson loves his abs. That was almost as weird as “Night Rider.” How does a guy that looked dominant lose to Rich Clementi?

* I’m pissed I didn’t drop $100 on Maynard like I intended to.

• GirlyGirl says:

#39 – I agree – I think it says a lot that there was not one, but TWO controversial stoppages, and they were BOTH by Mazzagatti. Makes ya wonder…would Herb Dean have stopped them so soon? Look what he did with Lauzon.

#47 – FYI – A freudian slip is for the person who SAYS it, not those who hear it. I just listened to it over again, and it definitely sounds like “rape choke”. Maybe you should turn your anger on Joe Rogan, not the people who only HEARD it.

• bigdea0629 says:

Clint notestine called it. Speers needs to get away from Hughes if he wants to be a successful fighter. That crap hughes’ is teaching will get you killed in the cage. Houston needs to put his kids in the ring if they hit harder than Irvin hit him. Bye Bye Nebraska

• Rashad #1 says:

Did anyone else hear Rogan talk about Calcavante and Aoki during the Maynard Edgar fight? Possible signings? I have never heard an announcer talk about a fighter outside of the UFC especially when ranking the top Lightweights in the world

• jaydog says:

I haven’t rewatched the Rogan choke comment. My interpretation was immediate and made on the spot, as is my complete disbelief that Rogan could possibly be sociopathic enough to blurt out a phrase regarding sexual assault during his job (or any other time). In my opinion, it’s about as likely that Mauro Renallo possesses a “25cm pole.” Hell, I just don’t want to believe that I am a fan of a sport that encompasses “techniques” for raping women. Call me blissfully ignorant, but I’m going with trachea (rake) choke, until the day that I disavow my MMA fandom. Wish I could be better humored about it, but…

• Who’ston?

• hbdale309 says:

NOT! GSP by armbar round one.

Great card last night. Nate Diaz has the heart of a lion and is only getting better. What is he like 21? Just wait til he’s 31. He stills needs to fill out…. the guy is still going thru freakin’ puberty right now…. his shaky voice, pimples, skinny ass frame, obsession with the 209, etc. Wait til his mental age gets above 15. This guy will be awesome.

Rape choke?!? I wonder if Spike TV will issue an apology. What was Joe thinkin’?

In closing, Houston was out cold, and Karo was out cold. Stash Mazzagatti rules!

• ctownhood says:

“Adam Martinez looks like an “In Case Of Emergency” Referee. When other refs aren’t able to make it to the event, they find that red box in the corridor, break the glass and dust of Mini Ref. Also looks like his father’s name is Gomez. So many jokes…”

I was thinking he looked more like Steve Buscemi as that psycho in Billy Madison….

• Jiu-Jitsu Guy says:

Nate Diaz with another submission. TOO BAD HATERS! Diaz knows his stuff and showed it again. I enjoyed the celebration before fully locking it down. That was sick.

• [...] believe that yours truly said that this fight would be perfect for Florian’s next matchup to determine the number one [...]

• Rich S. says:

“Anthony Johnson vs. GSP. Let’s do this. I’m serious! He looks like the only guy athletic and strong enough to hang with GSP. I’m calling it … we will see this fight in one year’s time.”

you were totally scaring me there for a second..

• “I enjoyed the celebration before fully locking it down. That was sick.”

So you’re fine with Diaz giving the middle finger and flexing but you have some incredible beef with Alexander standing over his opponents?

Whatever, dude.

• Eric says:

Anthony Johnson did look quite awesome, but maybe only because he was fighting against such a green rookie in Tommy Speer? Definite signs of a strong young fighter though.

Ken-Flo vs Roger Huerta, winner faces winner of Penn vs Sherk…this division is getting quite impressive, and very exciting.

I fully support both of the stoppages. Refs have it hard, and when they see a guy’s head bounce off the mat two or three times from some bombs, it’s a reaction call. It’s on them if a guy gets seriously hurt.

Does anyone agree with this? Jon Fitch vs Thiago Alves 2 for #1 contender, winner to fight winner of Serra GSP?, Jon Fitch won the first time around, but Alves is clearly on a hot streak, and deserves to be back in contention.

• Hogan says:

#34 You are right I have never been knocked out. But I was blown from my turret in Iraq and thrown 30 feet smacking my head pretty good on the way down. But my perspective doesn’t matter I guess. But Clearly you know it all. What is the difference then between this Houston fight and Marcus Davis’ fight. Davis looked pretty well out too and very similar to Alexander yet rallied to win that fight in spectacular fashion. I stick to the movies from now on.

• wes says:

that was not a glancing blow that hit houston alexander, it was a freakishly tall superman punch. He dint need to jump just extend his leg like a terrible kangaroo to get so much power. watch again. jesus christ