5 Oz. of Pain on CBS Sports: Handicapping TUF 7

My latest CBSSports.com article is now available.

With the latest season of “The Ultimate Fighter” having just premiered on Spike TV this past Wednesday, I decided to break down who I consider to be the favorites to win this year’s tournament.

Click here to read my TUF 7 handicapping breakdown.

• Dave says:

Sam-

How can you give Bradley any odds, when we know for a fact that there is no chance of him fighting on the finale show, even if he made it that far over the course of taping? I understand that what you’re analyzing is more theoretical than anything else, but we have info on Bradley that I think has to be taken into account.

• Sam Caplan says:

When I write for 5 Oz., I write for the hardcores. When I write for CBS, I try to changes things up a bit and write for more casual fans. The hardcore fans who reads multiple MMA sites on a daily basis knows what’s up with Bradley, while the more casual fan might not.

The idea of the TUF article on CBS was to try and enhance the viewing experience for a typical TUF viewer, not spoil it.

I hope that makes sense.

• Evan says:

that makes sense Sam. Good write up.

• BJJDenver says:

Dolloway has been my favorite since he was announced. He is a monster and I truly expect bigger things from him than TUF.

Also pulling for Dante Rivera. He is a friend of a friend and trains under Almeida and Renzo.

I do like what they did with the “fight-in” aspect of the show this year, although my idea that i posted elsewhere, was to have 28 guys instead of 32. Then the coaches would each get a wildcard pick from the losers to add to their teams, forming th 16 contestants. Just thought that would allow a guy that performed well in a loss or someone who got LnPed the whole match, to still make the show. I’m sure there are a couple of losing fighters who are better than a couple who won. Just in the interest of the show, not to take anything away from the winners.

• mo says:

I hope you are not setting us up for a fall Sam, but you have a lot of us in Philly excited about Aaron Meisner, and we are getting a lot of people pulling for him. If he loses next week it will be a pretty big dissapointment. and if he does well, you certainly deserve some recognition because there are not too many people talking him up.

• Sam Caplan says:

Win, lose, or draw next week, Aaron is going to become a star in MMA sooner rather than later.