Kenny Florian to fill in for Joe Rogan at UFC 83

From MMA Weekly:

“I’ll be commentating actually, start to finish, my first, my debut as the co-commentator,” said Florian on MMAWeekly Radio Friday night. “I’ll be there with Goldie. Goldie will be leading the way; he’ll be the quarterback. I’ll be the kind of back up.”

The article goes on to say that Rogan will not be in attendance due to prior obligations. Florian did a good job in his first time out as a commentator during the Clay Guida vs. Roger Huerta fight. With just he and Goldie in the booth, Florian will get an opportunity to say a little bit more and become more comfortable with the announcing. Plus, it’s always fun to hear a fighter talk about the fights because it gives you a better perspective of the technique and the thought process within a fight.

• Huckaby says:

They are aware Frank Mir is around, right? Nothing against Florian at all, just surprising they don’t use an awesome commentator they already have under contract.

• Evan says:

Its been awhile since Rogan missed a fight and I figured him missing one was due any time. While that says its his first one I am pretty sure he has done a main event before for a fight night before and he did a great job. As for Mir, they really are trying hard to separate WEC and the UFC.

• I am a Ken Flo supporter but I agree 100% that Frank Mir is a better choice. Especially because Frank has some new life in his career and it would help the new UFC fans get to know Frank better.

I’d also love to see Twinkle Toes stop battling with the UFC… I miss the FSN show… it was always the high point of my Tivo Week. He would be a great addition- I hope with his new contract he commentates on as many other shows as possible.

The commentator spot doesn’t get enough credit on what makes a good fight that much better. Joe R does a great job, but I’d trade Goldie in a second for either Frank.

Just my 2 cents (which is probably worth only penny)

• HexRei says:

# # 1 Huckaby Says:
    April 5th, 2008 at 2:50 pm

Mir has done commentary for the UFC a couple of times in the past few years, maybe they decided he doesn’t play well with Goldie? Or perhaps Zuffa wants to keep his commentary exclusive to the WEC, possibly to avoid confusing fans.

• Al says:

I liked Florian’s prior commentating gig. A little boring perhaps (or maybe that should read ‘not as easily excitable as Goldberg & Rogan’, but he was insightful and knowledgeable. I do like Rogan though, anyone know what this prior obligation is?

• Shawn says:

Eh. I just hope this won’t be a regular thing. I love Rogan. Nice to see Florian get some more exposure though. That kid has easily become one of my favorite fighters not only due to his “never die” attitude but because I think he’s one of the smartest fighters in the business.

• Patrick says:

How will Goldberg by the quarterback? All he does is reiterate what Rogan says into a question and then occasionally make loud noises?

• Patrick says:

be* the quarterback, my bad.

• Thank you, that was the funniest thing I’ve read all day.

• Terrence says:

Remember that UFN about a year ago where there was some technical problem and there was no commentary at all for like the first half hour? That was *awesome*. You still had the crowd noise and the sounds of the fight, but no crap. I don’t really dislike Goldberg and Rogan, but I don’t need them either. I don’t really need Rogan telling me how that guy’s body triangle is “squeeeeeezing” all the air out of his opponent, or how it’s possible to finish a guillotine from half-guard (but it’s very difficult) for the thousandth time. I don’t need Goldberg telling me how much of an impact those leg kicks are going to have later in the fight, or telling me how it’s “alllllllll over!!” when some guy’s pupils are rolling around in the back of his skull.

I like Goldberg fine, I like Rogan fine, I’m sure I’ll like Florian fine, but why not just have one UFC where the only thing we get to hear during the fight is the din of the crowd, the instructions yelled from the cornermen, and the smacks and thuds of a good fight.

• Fujin says:

I can’t stand Florian.

• woooburn says:

#9 – isn’t that why they sell tickets to the events?

• Terrence says:

I think they sell tickets to the events because people like to see fights live. I’m fine with seeing them on TV. I’m also fine with all the between-fights promos. By all means, hype the fights, tell us about the guys between the fights. But if Bruce Buffer is the last guy I hear with a mic before the final bell, that’s an awesome experience.

• Sam Cupitt says:

Kenny is a good replacement but I’ll miss Joe. I especially will miss Rogan interviewing Serra after the fight win or lose. The post fight interview at UFC 69 was great.

Does this mean Kenny will do the post-fight interviews? Goldberg better not do them. I can just imagine the awkwardness when he tries to make a smart joke or pun and the fighter just stares blankly at him.

But I guess I won’t complain as long as it isn’t Kerry Kasem…

• Al says:

Terrence, in England we sometimes get audio choices on televised football matches, i.e. you can listen as normal, change the audio to the more detailed radio version, or just switch if off all together and listen to the crowd. Considering how insipid some of the commentators are (not to mention borderline senile in some cases), it can be a godsend. On another channel they also do a fanzone thing whereby you listen to 2 partisan fans commentate on the match. No attempt at analysis, not a great deal of knowledge, just utterly biased nonsense, but it is funny as fuck sometimes!

• Evan says:

“On another channel they also do a fanzone thing whereby you listen to 2 partisan fans commentate on the match. No attempt at analysis, not a great deal of knowledge, just utterly biased nonsense, but it is funny as fuck sometimes!”

Al…we get one of those every Monday night here on FoxSoccerChannel. I absolutely love it. I don’t always catch it but when I do I enjoy it.

For my fellow Americans..imagine a Monday Night football game against the Cowboys and Redskins. Now instead of commentators you put two die hard fans in the booth. Its chaos and a genius idea.

• king mah mah says:

i wonder if florian will be able to “finish the commentary”!! Blaaaaaaaaaah!!

• ossBASHA says:

I’m not sure if any of you noticed, but Rogan mentioned that there are great LW fighters outside the UFC such as Shinya Aoki and JZ Calvancante. I think he’s getting punished.

• Jay K. says:

I like KenFlo! He’ll do a great job.

“My name is KenFlo and I finish Broadcasts!”

The question on the table is if he’ll GnP Goldie for being such a tool!

• Lavman says:

Rogan prior Ingagement? Bullshit. He just doesn’t want to come to Canada, more specifically Quebec. This is just another way for the UFC to screw Montreal again. Nice fight card Dana, are you sure you can’t squeeze another B fighter in there.

• Mike Wolfe says:

Why would UFC want to “screw” Montreal, and why wouldn’t Rogan want to go to Canada?

• Lavman says:

I don’t know! Please tell me It’s just a coincedence that the fight card for Montreal is one of the weakest I’ve seen for the UFC, and is surrounded by great cards, even the UFN blow this one away. Now Rogan drops out! When was the last time Rogan missed a major UFC event?