Hermes Franca wants a shot at B.J. Penn

In a new interview with PunchDrunkGamer.com, free agent fighter Hermes Franca not only expressed an interest in a rematch with former UFC lightweight champion Sean Sherk, but also a fight against the current UFC lightweight champion, B.J. Penn:

PDG: Your fight with Sean was a close decision; would you like a rematch?

Hermes: I don’t want to challenge anyone but of course I would fight him again. In my opinion, that fight should have been ruled a no contest. So like I said, I’m not challenging anyone but I would definitely welcome a rematch.

PDG: Okay, so not challenging anyone…….who out there would you like to fight because you think that it would be a great fight for the fans?

Hermes: When I come back, I want to fight the best and right now BJ Penn is the best. We are great friends and good partners but right now he is number one and he has the belt. So if I had a the chance to fight him, I would take the fight. No offense to BJ, like I said he is a really good friend but he has the belt.

Click here to read the interview in its entirety.

• Mike Mick says:

Ruled a no contest? Why? Because they both cheated by using steroids? Hermes is lucky that he lost his fight with Sherk. Sherk, by winning, is the one that made all of the headlines with the steroids case, because he was the champ, and Franca received very little negative pub. I haven’t forgotten though.

• BadMonkey says:

It’s good to see someone who’s not afraid to say they’d fight a friend for the title. All this crap with how guys say they’re good friends so they’ll never fight each other, what BS.

Look at the Scott Smith/Pete Sell fight. Those guys are good friends and they went into the cage a put on a hell of a show, and it wasn’t even for a title.

• Rich S. says:

you remember Justin Eilers?? He said he’d fight his own mom for a belt in his interview before he got brutally KO’d by Brandon Vera.. i’m sure he would, but, he’ll never get the chance to fight for a belt anyway..

back to the subject:

“Your fight with Sean was a close decision”

WHAT!!!!????
    Hermes did a GREAT job in the first and second rounds.. but then he got laid on for 15 minutes straight.. not a close decision at all..

• hindsightufuk says:

he got laid on and sherk did fuck all to him. was it the 4th or 5th sherk shot and franca almost put him out with a knee? man i wish that had connected sweet.
    would love to see franca vs bj, that would be awesome

• keenan says:

sherk will beat penn… u heard it here first

• hindsightufuk says:

i got a horrible feeling he will too

• Rich S. says:

#3.. i believe that was at the beginning of the second and third rounds… the first time he kneed to counter a takedown.. Sherk’s head flew all the way back and he was MESSSSSSSED UPPPP.. and then the second time.. it wasn’t so effective..

• the one says:

hermes has no striking power if only he had that.he maybe win in sherk’s title match………

• THORAZINE says:

Sherk will not beat BJ Penn, Sherk pretty much got whooped by GSP n’ Hughes’ BJ also lost to both of them in their last fights, but there’s no denying BJ took it too both those guys at certain points. BJ is easily one of the top 5, lb for lb fighters in the world.

• Rich S. says:

#8, are you kidding me???

maybe you should watch his fights w/ Caol Uno, Spencer Fisher, Ryan Shultz, etc…

no striking power?? his fight w/ Caol Uno is on the “UFC Ultimate Knockouts” DVD..

• Chuck says:

no doubt Rich … #8 needs to watch Hermes KO’s… “heavy hands” as they say

• Jiu-Jitsu Guy says:

Hey look, another steroid wimp demanding a fight. I’m so sick of these cheaters. I hate Sherk the most, no doubt. Perfect example of roids making you good.

And don’t f*cking challenge my opinion because Jose Canseco said roids made him an MVP. That is all the evidence I need.

• Jiu-Jitsu Guy says:

Funny how I get insulted on another post and now it is gone after I reply. Idiot moderator.

• Rich S. says:

LOLOLOLOLOLOL…

NOW YOU’RE DISSING THE MODERATOR!!??

JJG,
    as much as i despise you and your amazing career, perfect life, wonderful family, otherworldly BJJ skills, extraordinary Gracie Knowledge, the never-ending reassurances that you ONLY view the site because you’re bored, and the constant threats to leave… you are the most hilarious person that posts on this site..

• Jiu-Jitsu Guy says:

I love how you go from me being a doctor to me examining people for hernias. It never ceases to amaze me how stupid and unrealistic people can be, especially those with no life. I guarantee everyone here that you are a loser who has accomplished very little in your life. I have seen it too many times.

I help cure treat and cure disease moron. That is all I say. You are nothing.

• Adam Morgan says:

Guys:

I know we all don’t agree when it comes to opinion all the time, but this isn’t Sherdog.net and it’s not about personally attacking one another. This is a place to talk with other MMA fans about MMA and leave your comments on articles about MMA. If you have something to say about the article or have an opinion, please feel free to comment. But enough with the slanderous comments.

• Jiu-Jitsu Guy says:

Sorry for the childish remark, but “he started it.” I only have a strong opinion about Dana White, some UFC fights, and roids. Nothing else. The personal attacks were conducted by Rich, Sergio, and a couple others.

That said, I won’t do it anymore. Thanks.

• slimm says:

hilarious,
    anyways Franca would get handled by BJ, i dont believe that Franca has the heart to fight five rounds with Penn and not get subbed in that time frame……. he really wasnt that impressive against Sean even with the awesome knees to the head….. but what do i know im just an idiot, ha cheers…

• the one says:

hey mr.rich and chuck,maybe im wrong with that. im not against hermes im only dissapointed with that fight he did’nt show that knocked out power that you tryin to tell me or he has no guts to do that……because if he do that he maybe won in that fight!!!!!!!!!!

• Rich S. says:

#15,
    what did i say to hint that i thought you tested people for hernias?? no one said anything about hernias but you.. does that mean you just accidentally told us your real profession??

#16,
    i feel that there’s a mutual agreement between myself, Sergio apparently, Wolfe, and JJG… that these are just jokes.. i mean.. i never actually attack him.. i put something humorous in every one of my comments toward him..

#17,
    i’m in awe that you just apologized for something you said on this site.. i’m impressed.. oh.. and… “I only have a strong opinion about Dana White, some UFC fights, and roids” … let’s change that to …. “I only have a strong opinion about Dana White, some UFC fights, roids, and anybody that isn’t a submission fighter” … i mean, the only fighters you’ve ever defended were the diaz bro’s and the gracies.. you just posted the other day talking about how strikers suck…

and Morgan,
    i’ll argue w/ people day and night.. but i don’t attack people.. i’ll throw out the occasional “are you serious??” or “that’s ridiculous!”, but i don’t name call..
    now, JJG on the other hand?? “Idiot moderator.” — i think that says it all.

• the one says:

rich is a dick like matt hughes lol!!!!!!
    he always like that(a drunk moron loser)

• Rich S. says:

wtf??

• Jiu-Jitsu Guy says:

Rich,

STFU and talk MMA, okay? No one cares about you. Stick to MMA, just like the man said.

Looks like I’m not the only one who thinks you’re trash. Just shut up already.

• Rich S. says:

hmmm… another personal attack?? nice..