Carano plans to pull double-duty in May

crush_002.jpg Our good friend from MMARated.com, Ariel Helwani, recently conducted a strong interview with EliteXC female fighter and “American Gladiators” cast member Gina Carano.

During the interview, Carano indicated that she was never made aware of a supposed fight that was supposed to have taken place in February during EliteXC’s “Street Certified.”

In the weeks leading up to the show, Carano’s name was initially attached to the card during EliteXC’s press announcements. However, Carano believes that a mis-communication of some sort took place because she was never contacted in regards to a February fight.

Helwani asked her whether EliteXC pressured her into fighting on May 31 in Newark N.J., the date of the promotion’s first telecast on CBS.

“I made the decision myself and (fighting on CBS) is huge so (nervous laughing) we’re just going to try this out,” Carano responded. “I’m just going to put my trust in God and know that, like, I can train and I can do “American Gladiators” and I’ve got a pretty good head on my shoulders right now. It’s probably the best it’s ever been. My minds pretty clear and I feel pretty confident.”

Carano’s opponent for the 5/31 show is expected to be Kaitlin Young. Carano revealed that she’s currently filming the second season of “Gladiators” and indicated to Helwani that she will be tied up filming up until two weeks prior to the fight vs. Young.

Helwani quickly followed up by asking Carano whether she is concerned about suffering the same fate as Lennox Lewis and Chuck Liddell, two guys who lost fights while trying to juggle a fighting career with a career in show business.

Carano sounded the least bit worried.

“I’m just going to try it out and I think that I can do it,” Carano responded to Helwani. “I just feel like I’ve put my fighting off long enough and I don’t want to keep doing that because that’s where my heart is and that’s where my passion is. And I wanna, you know, be right to the fans of the sport and continue on fighting so I had to decide: I could be super busy for, you know, two months and try to double-team it or I could, you know, wait longer to fight and I just didn’t want to stay out of the ring longer than that.”

If Carano isn’t concerned, I think she should be. Fighters that juggle two careers usually do alright when it comes to their Hollywood commitments. However, when it comes time to fight, they just aren’t operating at full capacity.

In addition to Liddell and Lewis, Cung Le is another example of a fighter that tried to film and then fight. Le posted an impressive victory of Frank Shamrock in March, but in November, he struggled to put away Sammy Morgan because he did not train as hard as he should for the fight.

Maybe Carano could cut corners in training and win against a so-so fighter but against a fighter the caliber of Young? I just don’t see it happening.

You can listen Helwani’s interview with Carano in its entirety by clicking here.

• matt says:

There are rumors flying around that she’s currently walking around at 190 (i believe that tara derosa actually said this in a recent interview). That’s a huge cut and I don’t believe she’ll be able to get away with creating her own weight class again.

• GoofyMonkey says:

I’m about 190 lbs… I’l fight her. Even if it does land me in the hospital for a few months after. :)

Seriously though… I find it hard to believe she’s put on 50 lbs. Even assuming she’s cutting down to 140 from a normal weight, 190 is a huge gain.

• jjdnb says:

if anyother fighter said that, i might not take it to heart cuz i’m sure Terra has nothing to lose and everything to gain by talking some smack about Gina’s weight. She has already complained that the organization shouldnt make a weight class just for one fighters benefit. I’m sure this is just some bs that tera is throwing out there and besides, once Gina beats the snot out of her, Terra will have something to blame the lose on

• Sam Caplan says:

Gina beating the snot out of Tara LaRosa? Sorry, I don’t see that as a realistic possibility. I’m not sure many people who follow female MMA feel the same way as you do.

• HexRei says:

There is no way Gina can be walking around at 190 lbs, that just doesn’t make sense. She’s 5’8″ so unless she is seriously obese now its just not possible.

• matt says:

wait…jjdnb…are you saying an org should create a weight class (which never stays consistent from event to event) for one fighter? bad enough that EliteXC is creating weight classes for their poster children, but gina’s never stays consistent. one event its 135 the next is 145. and her opponents suffer due to the inconsistency.

• OddTom says:

If Carano is taking Kaitlin Young lightly, not even God is going to help her come May. This is one fight where she isn’t going to be throwing her weight around with an undersized opponent. Best of luck to Young.

• c says:

190??? um, no. saw her yesterday and looks around 140.

• [...] a new season of AG at the same time. While she thinks she can do it, she doesn’t sound 100% sure. This interview with Ariel Helwani is pretty enlightening regarding this. [...]

• Rachel says:

I was at a club with Gina in LA the otehr day and she looks fantastic. This 190lbs is just crap. Every fight she has had someone has said crap about her or doubted her and she comes out and wins every time. She’ll do it again in May.