Report: Mark Hominick could fight for Affliction

Former UFC and WEC competitor Mark “The Machine” Hominick is the latest fighter rumored to be attached to a tentative July 19 card in Dallas, Texas to be promoted in large part by clothing company Affliction.

The news comes courtesy of a press release issued by Canada-based MMA promotion TKO, which indicated during a recent announcement that Hominick has re-signed with them that he is also likely to compete for Affliction in July.

A two-time TKO featherweight champion with seven successful title defenses to his credit, Hominick is 2-0 lifetime in the UFC with wins over Jorge Gurgel and Yves Edwards.

Hominick’s WEC record is the exact opposite of that in the UFC, as he’s 0-2 with losses to Rani Yahya and Josh Grispi. He became a free agent after submitting in the first round to Grispi during the WEC’s February show in Albuquerque.

There is no word on a date for Hominick’s return bout in TKO and no official announcement has been made by Affliction in regards to Hominick’s reported involvement with the upstart promotion. In fact, no official announcement of any kind has been made in regard to Affliction’s reported July debut.

While no official information pertaining to the show is available, Sherdog.com’s Greg Savage reported last week that a main event involving former PRIDE heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko and former two-time UFC heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia is being discussed for the inaugural show.

Undercard bouts featuring the likes of Matt Lindland, Ben Rothwell, Andrei Arlovski, Aleksander Emelianenko, Josh Barnett, and Pedro Rizzo have been rumored as well.

• Evan says:

I would love to know where they think they are going to get the money for this payroll.

• Matt B says:

There’s a lot of big names for this potential card.

• Kelvin says:

I agree Evan….

• ufcfan says:

I could see them bankrolling this type of card INITIALLY

whether its sustainable over the long term i have my doubts (see Bodog fight for example) but we may get a few star studded cards over the first 1 or 2 years.

• Evan says:

“ya gotta remember affliction has been making an absolute killing on their clothing line over the last year.”

Have they? I see a ton of fighters wearing their clothes but I think I have only seen two other people in real life. I live in Dallas so its not like I live in the sticks.

• Kelvin says:

Yea, here Raleigh, NC…I don’t see much Affliction at all…I do see Tapout pretty regular though.

• Evan says:

Yeah I would say I see Tapout far more than Affliction as well. A few weeks ago I was in the grocery store and I saw some 40-ish year old lady wearing tapout camo board shorts. I nearly broke my neck doing a double take.

• slimm says:

here in california the Affliction t~shirts go for like 60 bucks and the pant for 160, really wow, i dont need a t~shirt that bad
    looks like a great card possibly

• Tanner says:

Babalu is also rumored to be taking on Mike Whitehead. As the first post said I have no idea how they’re going to pay for this, josh barnett, andrei arlovski, fedor, timmy, matt lindland, and ben rothwell? This looks like an awesome card but how in the hell can they pay for this 2 mil for fedor 300k for timmy probably 100+ for Andrei and Joshy. there digging themselves a serious hole. Did they not learn anything from the Bodogs or the M-1’s?

• Evan says:

About the same price here. I have seen them on racks at Dillard’s at a mall and I have never even seen someone even at the racks that sell the clothes. It just doesn’t add up to me. Hopefully they have something though because I will be there.

“300k for timmy probably 100+ for Andrei ”

Tanner…that number for Andrei is probably short by about 400.

• ufcfan says:

in vegas the other month, i saw tons of guys wearing them.

i guess it depends city to city, there pretty popular in toronto too where i live.

if there gonna put on an event like the rumors say, i’m all for it. one time is better than no time….

• Evan says:

Ok but enough to be financing these fights? We’re talking a massive payroll here just for the fighters alone not to mention everything else that goes into it.

• Kelvin says:

I don’t see AA leaving the UFC…I just don’t see how they can afford to let that happen.

• Evan says:

” don’t see AA leaving the UFC…I just don’t see how they can afford to let that happen”

What we’re getting ready to see with him and some others is new starts pumping insane money into “already built” names in hopes to jump start their league. Its going to screw up the free agent market and probably doom any org that over does it.

• Evan says:

* and some others is new start up orgs

• Rich S. says:

good God that card would be tooooo BEASTLY..

“featuring the likes of Matt Lindland, Ben Rothwell, Andrei Arlovski, Aleksander Emelianenko, Josh Barnett, and Pedro Rizzo have been rumored as well.”

does that mean that some of those guys could be fighting each other.. or that they’ll all be distributed among different competitors???

if so…
    i wouldn’t mind seein’..
    Rizzo/Barnett 2!
    AA/Aleks
    AA/Barnett
    AA/Rizzo 2!
    AA/Rothwell
    Rizzo/Rothwell
    Lindland/Aleks

_________

#5,
    i live in Tennessee and i see people ALL OVER w/ affliction shirts on.. from fighters/fans watching the UFC at Hooters.. to people who probably don’t even know why their shirt says “THE NATURAL” or “GEORGE ST. PIERRE”..
    i mean.. the majority of people i see wearing the shirts are people that don’t know it’s a fight brand.. you know, like it’s the latest fashion trend or something…

me?? i like the affliction brand, but i just stick to the TapouT shirts, and a little bit of THROWDOWN.. oh, and my 5 OZ. OF PAIN SHIRTTTT!!!!!

• RealMMAAnalyst says:

Old news.

Shawn Tompkins confirmed this a week or two ago.

• the one says:

well!!! we dont have to care about were could they get the money that will pay to the fighters…
    onething is for sure. that is a great card and mma fans are sure waiting for that event..and pls….why you always argueing the payroll, thats their problem not yours!!!just sit and relax and watch that great fight.