Is Sean Sherk Innocent?

I’ll be the first to admit I love playing devil’s advocate but as far as I know everyone hates Sean Sherk. That’s the thing, no one knows why but we all do. It’s not as if BJ Penn is a better guy than Sean Sherk. We’ve all seen how hard he works and he seems well educated. Why do people hate him? Lately his comments have come to my attention and I question if it was all a misunderstanding in the first place:

Following the reduction in his sentence, Sherk told reporters he would never fight in California again.

“Absolutely not,” he said. “It won’t even be offered to me. The way (the CSAC does) stuff is very biased. They don’t have rules; they don’t have regulations … they make stuff up as they go.”

That’s an angry man. Comedian Patrice O’Neal said it best but isn’t the only one to think this way; innocent people are angry when the punishment is over. I think people are guilty based on if I think they are guilty. Guilty people never come out and yell at the jury when they’re out of jail. Mike Tyson famously said when he was out of jail something along the lines of, “I wish I would have raped the bitch.” That’s an innocent man. A guilty man doesn’t say that. It takes an innocent man and his anger to go off on the people that accused him in the first place of a crime he didn’t commit. If you’re guilty you leave with your head down and hope it doesn’t come up again. I also don’t like Sean Sherk for some reason I don’t understand. But it’s not like the California State Athletic Commission is a well respected body in the MMA community, they’re at times questionable at best.

Again, why do we dislike Sean Sherk? What did he do to us exactly? Based on his comments I feel it was a mistaken supplement intake. Put yourself in his shoes. Say you worked your ass off every single day and you were suspended because one of the forty supplements you took had an illegal ingredient in it. You’d be really pissed off and wouldn’t understand the vitriol directed at you.

I don’t know. You don’t know. Can we atleast agree to give Sherk, an educated man, the benefit of the doubt that he wouldn’t be caught taking steroids and the people that accused him, the CSAC, are idiots? That’s possible, right? Right?

• Zantetzuken says:

ROID RAGE!!!!!!! ROAR!

• screwface says:

no not possible, these tests take all things into account and then dblcheck results. they are not in the business of ruining peoples careers over nothing. and if an over the counter supplement had steroids as an ingredient dont you think it would be ez to find out which and then sue that company for everything? cmon man. this a proud sport of natural athletes. even other fighters hate sherk for same reason we all do. just because you dont know why doesnt mean we dont know why. he cheated, plain and simple and then lied about it, and now all the sudden he has a title shot?? bs.

• BustYoFace says:

Im a fan of sherk, and have been since his wrestling days. People dont like him b/c of his fights. Ill admint they werent the greatest fights watch. Period. People call it LayNpraY or what ever. But he was champ for a reason. I think this whole steriod debacle realy came at a bad time. First of all being a “supplement” freak myself. Some MFGs of supplements will not list all ingredients. They will put freeforms of anabolic steroids in very small amounts (usually in “pro-hormones”). So the user will see results in the form of increased strength and size. So they will continue to take them. Little does the user know that the results could be as a direct result of the freeforms in the supplements. But w.e I hate Penn. WAR SHERK.

• Michaelthebox says:

I don’t know whether or not Sherk used steroids, but screwface doesn’t have the slightest clue what he is talking about.

• NealTaflinger says:

“I think people are guilty based on if I think they are guilty.”

What does that even mean?

• I’d like to think that’s rather obvious.

• BustYoFace says:

In response to #2 SAcrewface…

Dont be ignorant and rant on about something you have no idea about and please read the entire report released by the CSAC and sherks attorneys.

You will find that the machine used to test the fighters blood was not cleaned regularly. This is ONE of MANY arguments that Sherk had on his side. The reason teh CSAS reduced his fine and term of suspension was b/c they were trying to save face. If he was truely guilty then the CSAC would have nailed him LIKE EVERYONE else that was guilty. period.

• Captain says:

I think a lot of people don’t like Sherk because he is cocky and boring inside and outside of the ring. Combine that with the fact that he has had this little war of words with BJ and of course people don’t like him. BJ is exciting and inspires people to believe that he is truly one of the most well rounded fighters in the game. BJ’s also full of personality and a crazy lazy island boy warrior. Compare that to Sherk and you’re like this guy’s a boring cheater and, even if he’s not cheater, I hope BJ kicks his ass.

• JacRabbit says:

I agree, people hate him for his boring ass fighting style. And, I don’t think some of the childish comments that he frequently makes do him any better either.

• j dirte says:

why can’t we give the CSAC (who’s sole purpose is overseeing & regulating sporting events) the benefit of the doubt over Sherk? He’s not the only one who takes supplements; did the same “dirty blood-testing machine” single him out? Just because he’s angry doesn’t make him innocent; it makes him a sore loser.

• JohnnyRev says:

To funny, Sherk is a beast , but zamn we do all hate him ! Why …… not sure he pounds the crap out of everybody. But he is a turd for some reason. I use to wrestle with a dude like him back in the day .. Guy was unstoppable, never did anything to anybody but for some reason we all hated him … I mean even the coach couldnt stand the guy. The kid didnt even say much ….oh well …. guess its like a black hole we will just never know

• drano says:

I gotta go with #8 on this one he’s a boring fighter. He has a great work ethic and you have to respect his training routine but it doesn’t take away that I would rather go to the dentist then watch him lay on top of someone for 5 rounds.

• Gabber says:

Well, I’m a Sherk fan, always have been. I like the way the dude trains, eats and fights. He can be boring at times but he has determination, all day. To add to post #7, did Sherk not also provide additional tests that came back as negative? I think I remember Sherk providing 3 different samples from 3 different testing facilities all with a negative result. I could be mistaken.

The guy to me was a professional champion, he didn’t talk alot of smack about people, just trained and fought. If you compare him to some of the more prominent stars in the EliteXC stable (Ricco, Krazy Horse & that coke dealer…) how can you not like the guy?

Doesn’t matter, Ill Will rolls around and he’s holding the strap while BJ is gassed and bleeding. He’ll piss clean and all the haters can suck it. :P

• C-Pop says:

He is a boring-ass fighter that had great strength and endurance.
    Then add a steriod charge to that and we are left with just a boring fighter that cheated to get his strength and endurance.
    He is not funny.
    Can’t build up a fight in the media.
    Has no legitimate fueds or classic multiple battles with another fighter.
    Brutal Nickname.
    Terrible entrance music.
    Short, and gives off that little man complex vibe.
    Boring cornermen.
    Has fought ten million times and the fights all look the same!!!

• BustYoFace says:

To post #10.

Your right. Sherk had test results of his own accord done the day before and after the fight. Beg results.

• BustYoFace says:

Beg = Neg as in negative

• Kelvin says:

I like Sherk’s work ethic…and with the amount of supplements he takes…I too think it was a tainted supplement that caused all of this.

• brutus says:

The most probable scenario is that one or more of his many supplements were tainted. Still, even Sherk himself must understand that that doesn’t make him innocent. The rules are: “you can not have higher levels of these and these molecules in your body”. Not just “you can not knowingly take performance enchancing drugs”.

• Matt D. says:

Regardless of whether he is guilty or not he has served his time and he now has a chance to redeem himself. I personally hope he gets his ass handed to him, but that’s just me.

• Cinomed says:

I don’t know why people hate Sherk, kinda like Tim Silvia, just can’t seem to get the fans behind him.
    I know I am not too awfully impressed with his fighting style, but damn do I respect his work ethic. Those workouts he do are insanity….
    As for the fight? man it’s a coin flip, BJ Penn definitely isn’t one of my faves, but I don’t think I want Sherk to be the champ either.
    Maybe pull for Sherk IF Penn shows up under prepared, just to see the 155 division scrambled a bit as BJ has to work back to a title?

And yeah, I think the steroids things was not planned, can’t see a health nut like Sherk doing that on purpose.

• drano says:

#15 your exactly right since when can you deny responsibility for what you put into your body tainted supplement or not he used something that gave him an edge up on the competition.

• Juicer Supreme says:

No one likes Sherk cuz of his boring fighting style

• jjdnb says:

but it wont matter once BJ puts the beat down on Sherk.

• jj says:

Although the CSAC testing is a little fishy I don’t believe Sherk.

Hermes Franca tested positive and admitted he used steroids. That wasn’t a false positive.

Sherk tested positive and claimed it was his supplements. Sherk whines and get’s his suspension reduced. Now is Sherk the only guy in MMA that is taking that specific brand of supplements?

If these supplements were laced with something wouldn’t all kinds of fighters be testing positive? Considering just about every athlete takes some form of supplement and many go through testing this seems unlikely.

Also Sherks comments about how he was still the champ after BJ won the belt was pretty weak.

• JoeRoganIsAnAss says:

1st of all this post is late, but whatever. You do a poor job of playing Devils Advocate; though I never liked your articles to begin with. Sherk is a cheater. He’s been exposed, and will get BOOO’d (appropriately) by the fans before getting pwnd by BJ.

• Mike Fagan says:

To the people who claim he had independent test the day before/after the test…care to provide links to this information? And not just articles where Sherk claims to have had this done…actual physical proof of the tests.

I’ve heard or read a lot of Sean’s interviews and he claims he has all this proof that he’s innocent. Yet, I have seen zero evidence given to the media or released to the public in any way. If Sherk is innocent, and with a positive test the burden is on him at this point, he needs to prove it.

• Michael says:

Lets not be naive here. I follow bodybuilding and you can clearly differentiate between a body made naturally and a body formed through artificial assistance. He may be a freak of nature but the odds are against it. Regardless, none of us know for sure considering the situation with the tests they performed.

• Mike Fagan,

Armando Garcia actually confirmed that those tests were submitted during his interview with Sherdog.com, but those samples were done by a third part lab that was not affiliated with the CSAC. Furthermore, those samples didn’t have a paper trail that is needed by the CSAC, and the CSAC wouldn’t use them because they were taken at periods that would indicate Sherk could have cycled.

Sherk has no proof. He has testing that was eerily done at odd times when Sherk could have cycled.

Sam,

The fact is that Sherk’s own ignorance screwed him. We can all sit here and think that a tainted supplement hurt him in this situation, but does it not say clearly in the CSAC Guidelines that OTC supplements can be tainted? Yes it does, and it also references the multiple studies and states that a fighter is responsible for what he/she puts in their bodies. Sherk knew that, he tried to fight it, but in the end, something he put into his own body tested positive.

Even more interesting, I reviewed cases on my site regarding sports figures suing supplement companies for false positives. Why hasn’t Sherk done so in an effort to regain monies lost due to the suspension? Because he can’t actually find the supplement that caused the positive. The Xyience supplement was a different steroid altogether. All signs point to Sherk either cycling, or he simply has a supplement that is tainted and he cannot afford to test all his supplements.

Suggestion: Cut the supplements, Sherk.

• Zack says:

This isn’t my personal view, but I bet most people don’t like him because: his physique seems unnatural and it doesn’t seem possible that he makes 155. He’s like a cheating, oversized bully that lays on his opponents. BJ is loved because he embodies the original Gracie idea of the smaller guy who can beat the Goliath with technique.

• Brent says:

who cares if he’s innocent or not… its over… it cant be changed…. and if he tests positive again his careers over…. and if he tests negative and still looks super jacked… then hes probably been innocent the entire time

• Ivan Trembow says:

Sherk also said that he would never “allow” his drug test samples to be processed by Quest Diagnostics ever again, which is odd because Quest is also the lab that the Nevada State Athletic Commission uses, and he’s fighting in Nevada next month.

• Reaser says:

This is just like Barry Bonds, he also “accidentally” took PED’s….

give me a break…

Sherk, guilty as charged…

• Mikey Gilz says:

It’s not so much a dislike of Sherk. I hate one dimensional wrestlers period. Ever since i first saw Koshcheck do nothing against Leben and win on the first season of TUF, i’ve hated lay and pray decision fighters.

• steo1981 says:

you innocent people are angry when punishment is over thats why u believe him. WHAT RUBBISH .sherks punishment is still on going he will be forever punished because he is noow labelled a steriod user. so that puts your theory out the window

• Sam Caplan says:

Leland, not sure why you addressed a comment to me because I am not the author of the article.

• Just like to add, Mike- I always enjoy your articles. Thanks. JoeRoganisanass – is one himself. Why is this article late? Sherk is finally cleared and has a title shot.

• Simco says:

Everyone hates lnp wrestlers. The author knew that when he wrote it.
    If you’re going to include a rhetorical statement that you know everyone knows the answer to don’t include is over and over again. Use it once for effect and then let the rest of the article mask the suspension of reality your example required. This is a basic guideline most high school English students know.

• JoeRoganIsAnAss says:

#34,

Sherk wasn’t cleared. He popped for 30x the amount of Nandroline in the human body. After mounting a widley publisized defense, he had his suspension reduced. This has lead to a title shot, but make no mistake, he is outclassed in this fight.

“Eh… Sean Sherk, you’re Dead”

• Jay says:

I like Sean Sherk! I hope he kicks B.J.’s ass.

• Reaser says:

Sherk should have got a lifetime ban like anyone in professional sports should if they use roids/HGH/PEDs….

• Kyle says:

This is an ignorant post. “Can we at least give Sean Sherk the benefit of the doubt?” You mean the one who got caught using an illegal steroid? How about we give the commision whos job it is to sort things like this out the benefit of the doubt, instead of going on one man’s word who has every reason to lie. Think before you write.

• Mike Wolfe says:

I don’t have a strong opinion about Sherk’s guilt or innocence. He’s served his suspension and can compete, as far I’m concerned. I do think it’s a little odd to criticize wrestling based fighters. Wrestling is an effective style regardless of whether it’s dramatic. The name of the game is “mixed” martial arts, and wrestling is part of the mixture. Other sports have aspects that aren’t especially exciting for every fan, but you take the sport as a whole.

• keenan says:

i still beleive hi can beat penn, if it goes past the second round i think h has a great chance buuuuut that guard bj has is unreal

• Andy says:

Why do we just have to take him for his word? What a hypocrite!
    Dude from the junkie said it well, if you’re taking 50+ supplements daily, you might just have an obsessive compulsive disorder, shit, thats a lot of dam pills!

• Evan says:

“Why won’t Sherk tell us what supplement was tainted. Why couldn’t he sue that supplement company, after all, he lost a lot of money because of them.”

Libel and hard to prove.

• matt says:

its all bullshit. sean sherk is a human blanket lay and pray roided out bitch and i hope bj triangle chokes him till he pukes

• Ronin says:

Well Matt thats a little harsh and I don’t know if he is innocent, but I do agree I hate his Hug n’ Snug style of fighting.

• Handover Fist says:

“Mike Tyson famously said when he was out of jail something along the lines of, “I wish I would have raped the bitch.” That’s an innocent man.”

You and Mr. Tyson must share the same brain… or at least the same IQ.

• I was unaware Mike Tyson was a genius. I’ll slap that in the memory bank.

It’s 100% true. A guilty man doesn’t say something like that when he leaves prison. I’d stake a vast amount of money on his innocence there. Not on his innocence in anything else, he’s crazy, but on that.

• HIGH SCHOOL CRIMINAL says:

I lied and cheated a ton in high school. And every time I was confronted and accused, I pleaded innocence and reacted with anger. And everytime any of it was brought up, I continued to react with anger — knowing that this would weaken everyone’s resolve that I had done these things.

I’m not a particularly smart guy, and pretty uneducated TBH. But you yourself said Sherk IS both of those things. So why can’t he have employed the same tactic I did? Why can’t Tyson have had a PR manager whisper in his ear how he should react?

Ridiculous line of reasoning imo.

• Wang Chung says:

i have an awesome bullshit detector, highly highly attuned to the slightest permeation of bullshit entering my olfactory senses, and my sense is that sherk is/was not aware of anything illegal entering his body. it sucks that it doesn’t seem to be proven beyond all doubts and now his rep is fucked for life, especially when it comes to mma fans, many of whom are the most knee jerk tards on the planent who have absolutely no understanding of the shade of grey.

• David S says:

It doesn’t matter where the steroids came from. According to the international WADA rules, which apply to most organised sports around the globe, you are responsible for what goes into your body. There have been enough people with issues due to tainted supplements to know that they should be avoided if you are a professional sportsman.

• ctownhood says:

Yeah, Sherk had hearings in court and never once provided any of the alleged evidence. You would think if you had such evidence, that would be the time to show it to exonerate yourself, not after the fact. This is all a mute point anyways….after BJ smashes him into obscurity, we’ll see an episode of “Fall From Glory” on Sherk in a few years. He’ll still be whining about how he got screwed.

• Sam,

My eyesight has apparently went to garbage. You should definitely think about increasing the size on that to make writers like me actually make points to whoever actually wrote the article.

My fault there, Sam.

• Cabelo says:

I like Sherk. he’s a good figher, good person. I don’t think he’s guilty. I think it’s more than highly suspect that he and franca turned up with the same metabolite, same concentrations, especially given that the chain of custody got buggered up. plus they cross-contaminated the testing apparatus. As a safety officcer on a construction site used to dealing with independantly contracted drug testing, if any one of those situations arose, the testing company, and my company, would discard the sample and get another. I think sherk would’ve been more than willing to submit a second sample. That is standard when dealing with people’s godamned livelyhood.

And as to screwball, if one is taking 40+ supplements, and just took a huge cut in money for the forseeable year, where is he supposed to pony up the dough to test each supplement, at about $300 bucks per, and hire a lawyer to file suit with each company???

It was a lose-lose for sherk, because of the way the CSAC handle the situation (reminds me of Nick Diaz dealings). The CSAC should stop this smear campaign. They should’ve rescinded the suspension when the chain-of-custody and improper flushing techniques info came out. Now they look like grudge-holding fascists.

Hermes was a man enough to admit it. Then they cross-contaminated their samples, and buried any ‘evidence’, to keep from getting a black eye for their labs. Is that so unreasonable? It’s unreasonable to think that someone who would give total disclosure like sherk did, and would be roiding, then spending so much time and money to fight such allegations if he did cheat.

Someone pretenscious would probably mention Ocham’s razor, the simplest explanation being the most likely, all things being equal and all. But then again, someone pretenscious would probably google the proper spelling of ‘pretenscious’.

• Cabelo says:

Wang Chung Says:
    “i have an awesome bullshit detector, highly highly attuned to the slightest permeation of bullshit entering my olfactory senses, and my sense is that sherk is/was not aware of anything illegal entering his body.”

Shit, did you download his scent from torrents or a mirror site? :P

Or did you buy it from ebay, get a vial in the mail? :D