Rumor Killer: Joe Rogan not leaving the UFC

dana_joe1.jpg

UFC color commentator Joe Rogan has responded to some reckless and irresponsible reporting that claimed he was on the verge of leaving the UFC. Via his blog, Rogan issued the following statement:

There’s been a lot of goofy articles written on the internet lately about me missing the UFC card in Montreal this weekend, speculating all sorts of silly reasons why I’m not going to be there, so I figured it would be a good idea if I cleared it up here.

The only reason I’m not going to be there is because of a family obligation.

I’m certainly not upset at the UFC, and I’m not quitting to start doing commentary for a rival organization.

I’ve also heard some ridiculous shit about me having massive fallout with the UFC president Dana White, which couldn’t be further from the truth.

Dana is a very good friend of mine, and in the seven years I’ve known him we’ve never even had a single disagreement.

He’s a controversial dude, and a wild motherfucker, but that’s why he’s the perfect president for the wildest sport in the world.

We met back in 2001 when Zuffa purchased the UFC, and he’s the one that convinced me to do commentary after seeing how big a fan I am of the sport. I’ve seen this sport explode from relative obscurity to one of the most popular sports in the world, and if it weren’t for Dana White, and massive balls of Lorenzo and Frank Fertitta this sport wouldn’t be anywhere near as popular as it is now.

Lorenzo and Frank, the owners of the UFC risked an incredible amount of money, and were DEEP into the red on this investment when the success of the Ultimate Fighter TV show finally launched this sport into the public’s awareness, and every fan on the planet owes them a debt of gratitude.

They were literally everything this sport needed; they were true fans of the sport with the brains, money and balls to make it popular.

On top of that, they’re cool as fuck.

The UFC has been the greatest job outside of stand up that I’ve ever had by a long shot, and I look forward to every single event. The entire production crew and everyone associated with the organization are a pleasure to work with, and I love them all.

So in closing, I’m not going anywhere, bitches!

See you guys in may!

There you have it, folks. Rumor killed. I intentionally neglected to credit the original source because why should anyone get credit for reckless reporting? Now the UFC has yet another reason to continue to shut bloggers out.

(HT: Michael Rome of BloodyElbow.com)

• Evan says:

“I intentionally neglected to credit the original source because why should anyone get credit for reckless reporting? Now the UFC has yet another reason to continue to shut bloggers out.”

It really is pathetic this story had to be posted to discredit that idiot in the first place.

• Evan says:

I guess the blogger who runs the blog that shall not be mentioned is new to MMA and doesn’t know that Joe misses a couple of shows a year

• Sam Caplan says:

“In my opinion I think what happened here is the blog that shall not be mention heard Joe wasn’t going to be there and created a wild ass story hoping for a long shot payoff.”

• Evan, you have to excuse Sam. He deals in “responsible journalism.” I was going to post the story that Anderson Silva and Alberto Crane have been in a relationship for 4 years but Sam was all, “no, we need sources” or something. He’s in his own little world of being respectable or something.

• Evan says:

“Kind of like the guy who jumped to conclusions when he said Stephen Quadros was fired from Sherdog Radio when in fact it was Quadros’ decision to resign?”

I must have missed that one.

• Sam Cupitt says:

lol that’s crazy. How the fuck do you get fired off of Sherdog Radio?

“You weren’t boring enough?”

This story was mental as well. I personally think Rogan helps bring in a lot of a new fans. His comedy featurs alot of MMA related stuff and the fact he was the host of a primetime show in Fear Factor means that anyone who liked his stuff and who have stumbled across the UFC go, “is that the host of fear factor?”

If the UFC ever decided to get rid of Joe Rogan they’d be smoking more pot than he does.

• “I was going to post the story that Anderson Silva and Alberto Crane have been in a relationship for 4 years but Sam was all, “no, we need sources” or something. He’s in his own little world of being respectable or something.”

Dood, I saw them in a Radisson Hotel bar in Tampa last week. They didn’t show up together but they did leave together. They were in a booth all night, ordering drinks, talking, laughing, and looking mighty cozy.

• Andrej says:

And why would anyone care if Anderson Silva is friend’s with Alberto Crane or not? Good for him!!!!! That is life why would I want to pry into a fighter’s life? I don’t. I’m sure as hell don’t care

• Jay K. says:

Rogan: THAT’S KRAYYZEE!! GOLDIE!! DID YOU HEAR THE RUMORS!!? THAT’S KRAYYZEE!!

Goldie: YOU’RE RIGHT JOE!! ANYTHING YOU SAY JOE!! G.I. JOE!!

Rogan: THAT’S KRAYYZEE!!

• Mike Wolfe says:

Lol across the board on this one. What is it, a full moon or something? Some crazy/funny stuff, guys.

• bubbafat says:

I don’t owe the Fertitta’s any debt of gratitude. I pay for the PPV’s I watch. They should owe me. Say, all 8 or 9 fights on their fight cards for my $44.95 and we’re even.

• Evan says:

“Say, all 8 or 9 fights on their fight cards for my $44.95 and we’re even.”

When was the last time they didn’t show almost the entire card? I think they have been showing almost every fight for a while now.

• glock says:

“The UFC has been the greatest job outside of stand up that I’ve ever had by a long shot,”

Whoa, Joe must see his stand-up like Michael Jackson sees the man in the mirror…..

He’s gotta be the saddest comic I’ve ever seen other than
    Rupert Pupkin… and I think RP was funnier.

That being said, Joe, I actually have come to enjoy you ringside, keep up the good work ole’ buddy…..

• guai guai says: