Battle Cage Xtreme IV Cageside Commentary

The Battle Cage Xtreme promotion put on an excellent night of MMA last night at the Tropicana in Atlantic City, N.J. With 17 fights on the card, I was a bit skeptical on how they would pull it off, but the event was genuinely entertaining. With only 3 of 17 fights ending by Decision (two of those Decisions featuring incredible back-n-forth action) every fan in the house should have gone home happy.

stone_camachoMaybe it was the HDNet cameras or bevy of UFC vets cornering fights, but each fighter came out blazing. Case in point: Ken Stone connected so squarely on Joe Camacho with a kick to the ribs, the smack sounded like a crack of lightning. The ringside doctors were kept busy all evening with numerous TKO (strikes) and chokeouts.

From our seat cageside, we were able to catch some of the things you’ll only see at a live event – like a fighter’s mother screaming obscenities at her son’s opponents corner. Apparently Steve D’Angelis and Blair Tugman hate each other, and Mrs. D’Angelis had some choice words for Tugman’s corner during the fight. It was ironic that she then used the door on Tugman’s side of the cage en route to give son Steve a big hug after he scored the victory for the BCX 145lb title.

We also witnessed an unnecessary (and annoying) break in the action which was “highlighted” by High Pitch Eric (from Howard Stern show) screaming into the mic for a few minutes. The action of the fights was enough to give the fans their monies worth, so the rambling of High Pitch Eric just created a “WTF” moment that took away from the fights themselves.

It was good to see so many UFC level fighters actively cornering at this event. Ricardo Almeida, Dante Rivera, Frank Edgar, Kurt Pelligrino and Jim & Dan Miller were all shouting instruction throughout the night to their respective fighters. I was particularly impressed with Almeida, who’s comments from the corner were like kind of like a play-by-play of the fight as it was happening. He shouted specific instruction in anticipation of what his fighter should be doing in that very next moment (Almeida’s fighters went 1-2 on the night so not sure exactly how helpful it actually was).

I’ll admit I never would have thought I’d see more wardrobe changes at an MMA show than at a Britney Spears concert. The cornermen of Rhino Fight Team and Team Liguori were swapping sponsor t-shirts faster than I could keep track. I believe at one point, Rhino’s Rob Guarino rocked 3 different shirts during one fight (including a 5 Oz of Pain signature tee, thanks Rob). I challenge any sponsor to question the effort those guys were giving.

Overall, Five Ounces of Pain was impressed with the show. For a young promotion (4th event), the show went off very smoothly. They kept the fights moving and the action flowing. The Tropicana Showroom was packed (small venue) and the fans were loud. It was good to not hear a lot of booing, as most of the fans respected the wrestling and BJJ that was on display. The booing did come when there was clear stalling going down and the ref refused to stand it up, but that was only 2 or 3 times. HDNet should be airing highlights for many of these fights. There were enough heavy hands and slick submissions to fill highlight reel. I hope Battle Cage Xtreme can build upon the success of this event, it would be a solid boost for MMA in the Northeast.

Check out more Battle Cage Xtreme content on Five Ounces of Pain.

• Brent says:

I was shocked when I read that Ott was dominated – I was totally wrong about that match.

• egad81 says:

The heavy weight fights were a JOKE!

The main event much like all the other main event fights for BXC was the worst part.

I have been to all 4 BXC shows and I can say most of the fighters have potential to do big things.

Complaints about BXC:
    #1 Belts are given away like candy and stripped just as quick with no explanation.

#2 The ring announcer…. the guy last night kept saying everyones name wrong…at one point he called Frank Edgar… Frank Edwards. Tom Troxell… who is really TIM
    (i was chatting with Tim’s dad… he is a cool dude)

#3 The fight program….. I have heard of CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE but this was rediculous! They had the 126 pound fighters listed as Heavyweights and just about every other weight on the card was incorrect.
    I hope they didnt have to pay for them things.

#4 I hear the promoter is CHEAP and doesnt give the fighters a good cut of the tickets….

Postitives:
    Tropicana was WAY BETTER then boardwalk hall….Yeah it sucked getting down the escalators after the event but the EYE CANDY WAS MARVELOUS!

• steve says:

my mom is awesome what can i say. blair wishes his mom was as cool hahahaha

• Matt C. says:

egad1: your critiques of this event are that the ring announcer was bad and the programs were misprinted? You hear the promoter is cheap? Are you serious? You make no mention of the FIGHTS. I guess I assumed MMA fans go to watch live MMA for the FIGHTS. My bad, dude.

• Dave M. says:

your mom is cool? try a disrespectful drunk. You won, good job, but your mom sucks.

• steve says:

honestly you need to know my mother before you attack her. She supports me no matter what and yes she had a few drinks, but to call her a drunk is out of line. She is a good person and what is disrespectful is your comment. She knows my dislike of Blair for calling me out and got carried away. My mother is an emotional person and it can be a good thing and a downfall, but I am for one not embarrassed of her. Lighten up dude, you must know Blair.

• steve says:

oh and if she was so disrespectful why did the nj athletic commission allow her to come into the cage.

• Dave M. says:

I don’t know Blair as much as I don’t know you. I was in the stands but didn’t know that even happened until I read it here. You called your mom AWESOME for what she did. I don’t think Blair’s mom would have talked smack to you if you lost. She was obviously drunk, but hey, it happened and it’s over. I did make a mention in the article, which is enough to see that it was unwarranted. You kept your belt and defended it well. Good shit. nothing but luck to you in the future.

• steve says:

I said my mother was awesome but i did not say for what she did. Thank you for wishing me luck and I did have Blair’s mom say stuff to me at an event, but just not this event. When Blair and Troxell fought I was cheering for Troxell because I know him. She looked over to me and told to “shut the hell up” and started cheering for Blair again. People get carried away, but this is past us and thank you again for wishing me luck.

Quick question: what is your full name because i thought Matt wrote the article, but you said you made mention of it in the article.

• steve says:

Also i just want to point out my mom gets a little more emotional (well besides carlos’ mom at the other battlecage lol im just kidding carlos haha) than other mothers due to the fact that im only 20 years old and she still looks at me as her young child

• Brent says:

This is a nice lead up to both moms fighting each other at a BCX 5.

• Matt C. says:

hey guys – this isn’t supposed to be about calling out someone’s mom. The point I was trying to make was at live MMA you catch some humorous and outrageous stuff.

At these smaller events, there are a lot of young fighters whose parents are there to support them. For example, I had a long conversation with Damian Vitale’s dad, and I could immediately see how proud the guy was of his son. I’m sure both Blair and Steve’s mom are equally proud of their son’s.

My commentary was to try to bring some life to these events for those that 1) couldn’t attend 2) never even heard of BCX or these fighters 3) b/c 5 Oz of Pain reports about more than just fight results

• steve says:

the commentary was awesome. Usually people just watch the events and record the results.

Matt I might end up fighting rob for his five ounces of pain tshirt lol jk

• egad81 says:

Matt C.
    “I have been to all 4 BCX shows and I can say most of the fighters have potential to do big things.”

I know just about all the fighters and I think they are very entertaining.

My complaints are minor..I admit it… but I just felt you left them out of your story.

I go to every show in Jersey and if I was allowed to cross state lines I would goto more.