Report: Cro Cop vs. LeBanner at DREAM 4

That’s the word according to the folks at Nokaut.com:

MMA-ID (www.mma-id.com), proud sponsor of Mirko Cro Cop, has learned in the last few hours that Cro Cop will be facing dynamic heavyweight striker Jerome LeBanner. The bout is scheduled to take place at DREAMS 4 on June 16 in Saitama, Tokyo. LeBanner is 3-1-1 in mixed martial arts, last competing in 2006.

This shouldn’t be an opponent that gives Cro Cop a lot of trouble but it’s much better than him facing Tomato Can A or Tomato Can B. LeBanner poses an interesting matchup for Cro Cop but nothing that I don’t think the devastating striker from Croatia can’t handle.

• Derek B. says:

didn’t lebanner use to be a professional boxer?

• *yawn*

Cro Who?

• paddiosf says:

I would love to see that matchup for sure, both fighters aren’t at the peak of there careers anymore..LeBanner a ton of fights under his belt in K-1..I’m surprised these guys didn’t fight years ago before Crocop left for Pride…

• jj says:

wow, i cant wait to see this one!

le banner is one of my favourite kick boxers. i think its pretty safe to say this fight wont be going to decision.

• Sam Cupitt says:

I was kinda holding out hope it would be Sergei Kharitonov.

• yuushi says:

Sam

That’s what I thought. He was offered the fight before, but turned it down. I would think that his next fight would be Kharitonov.

Possible candidate for “ducking”?

• Cabelo says:

Is this going to be a full mma rules fight? I wasn’t aware Lebanner had begun ground fighting….everything I’ve seen from him was with 16-oz gloves (or whatever it was K-1 was using)

• keenan says:

i would duck kharitonov too! but seriouisly i like this fight much more than the last. should be at least competitive

• Davey D says:

This should be an awesome fight. LeBanner is no joke and will knock you the eff’ out with his hands or feet. Cro Cop better be ready to go if he wants to keep on keeping on.

Sergei Karitonov would been a better opponent because he is more well known so to speak but mark me words mate, LeBanner just might win. I really hope to see this event live.

• Zurich says:

Are you crazy? JLB is going to kickbox CroCop into another dimension. While CroCop has spent the past 5 years learning BJJ defence, he’s let his stand up game rot. It’s going to be a bad night for CroCop…

• Michael says:

Hey ‘Zurich’ you DO realize that Cro Cop has beat JLB before in K-1, right?

• Echolocating says:

I’ve watched a few of LeBanner’s fights and he seems like a very competent fighter. Given the difficulty Miirko’s had with his previous UFC opponents, this should prove to be a good fight. I think LeBanner will win though.

• paddiosf says:

He fought Don Frye in 2002 in a K-1 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRIDE_Shockwave#Don_Frye_vs__J.C3.A9r.C3.B4me_Le_Banner

• woooburn says:

side note: matt hughes posted on his site that he’s fighting thiago alves in the new main event at 85

• Derek B. says:

$20 bucks says Cro Cop wins Via ArmBar Submission and also uses wrestling in his next bout.

• bubbafat says:

Le Banner vs Cro Cop. This one ain’t hittin’ the ground that’s for sure. Unless it’s an unconcsious body. Crazy fact=apparently LeBanner is a righty but fights southy. That may or may not work out for Mirko and his left high kick.

• Mikey Gilz says:

Remember these words.

• yuushi says:

If his fight with Mark Hunt is any indication, that’s doubtful.

Unless he learned from his mistakes in that bout.

• jason hughes says:

cro cop has really fallen fast, hope he makes it back to the states, maybe with a better attitude towards fighting in the cage.

• Rich S. says:

LOL @ #15.. I THINK I JUST PEED MYSELF..

sooo.. didn’t Cro Cop fight LeBanner a loooooong time ago in a kickboxing bout? I don’t remember who won.. but it was a good fight.. that went to decision, i believe..

• Cabelo says:

yeah, they did fight to a decision…….Crocop looked so young!

“CroCop will be UFC champion in the next two years. Then will eventually lose the title to Brock Lesnar………

Remember these words.”

ahahahaha! sorry…….such boundless optimism went out the door when Gonzaga hit the button with his foot, and Crocop didn’t follow up by going on a tear and demolishing people. He’s only human, and getting old. I’ll remember these words as one of the most ignorant ex-WWE now-CC fanboy statements I’ve ever heard. I don’t see CC ever being UFC heavyweight Champ. He’s a possibility to be LHW champ, but he may never make the cut. As for Lesnar, the Jury’s still out. Let’s see how he fares against someone with good BJJ AND striking with some wrestling polish to round out their game. But then again, who fits the bill right now in the UFC’s HW division? Give Velasquez a year or two. Shane Carwin’s got promise, but Nogueira’s looking very likely to hold onto the title for a long while.

• Patrick says:

“As for Lesnar, the Jury’s still out. Let’s see how he fares against someone with good BJJ AND striking with some wrestling polish to round out their game.”

We saw that already, his name was Frank Mir. Lesnar needs time to learn MMA, he can’t bullrush every opponent and win, and I’m glad that Mir taught him that the hard way.

• Fight Fan says:

Lebanner will win. A very bad match up for Crocop at this stage. Lebanner is a far more decorated, experienced, and better Kickboxer than Crocop, so unless #15 is right and crocop utilises takedowns etc. I think it will be a long night for Crocop.
    P.S. Since when did Mir have good wrestling and striking?.

• Zurich says:

#11 Yeah, like 10 years ago and it went to a decision. For the past 5 of those 10 years, CC has been training ground defense, while JLB has been refining his striking game. JLB is big, experienced, and tough – if CC had problems with Kongo, he’s going to have a hell of a time with JLB.

• Rln says:

I bet this fight turns out to be another complete fabrication that had no chance of ever happening…

• Derek B. says:

I’m telling you guys…Cro-Cop wins via Submission.

• mmadude77 says:

Cro cop is gonna go for an armbar just to prove a point

• Derek B. says:

THANK YOU MMADUDE77!

I’m telling you guys…he’s been training on his ground game. He knows that is what he needs to focus on. If he loses his next fight…I’m going to burn all my Cro-Cop DVD’s and T-Shirts.