ROUND NINE of 5 Oz. of Pain’s Fantasy MMA Mock Draft

mock_draft_logo.jpg

View draft results HERE

The first-ever 5 Oz. of Pain Fantasy MMA Mock Draft is really flowing at breakneck speed right now. You can now access the results of round nine below. Check back later today, because round 10 will be posted as well.

In case you’re new to the site , you can re-live the glory of the previous rounds.

To make a long story short, this is not a pound-for-pound top fighter list. What we’re doing is essentially pretending that every fighter in the world is suddenly declared a free agent with six new organizations selecting talent through a draft format.

The idea is to see how six different fans would construct their organization and which fighters they would select to help them execute their vision. Much like real world MMA, every promoter has their different philosophy with each organization establishing its own identity.

The results to round nine are available below.

9.1 Adam Morgan: Matt Serra

Previous Picks: Georges St. Pierre (round 1), Kimbo Slice (round 2) and Jake Shields (round 3), Carlos Condit (round 4), Diego Sanchez (round 5), Matt Hughes (round 6), Josh Koscheck (round 7) , and Shinya Aoki (round 8 )

Analysis: Serra has main event experience and can fight at both lightweight and welterweight. I can have him fight Diego Sanchez or Aoki at lightweight or I can have him fight the grudge match with Matt Hughes at welterweight. Picking Serra not only gives me versatility, but also gives me a guy who has had major TV exposure and knows how to hype a fight. With Serra, you either love him or hate him but he gets the crowd pumped up for a fight. GSP vs. Serra 2 shouldn’t have been as anticipated as it was, but it was that way because Serra made it that way. He talked enough trash for both fighters and ended up hyping a fight that wasn’t very competitive on paper and ended up being even less competitive in the cage. But people still bought the PPV and that’s all that matters.

9.2 Mike Huckaby: Thiago Silva

Previous Picks: Chuck Liddell (round 1), Forrest Griffin (round 2) and Wanderlei Silva (round 3), Andrei Arlovski (round 4), Mirko Cro Cop (round 5), Rashad Evans (round 6), Tim Sylvia (round 7), and Fabricio Werdum (round 8 )

Analysis: One of my two aces in the hole. Probably a couple of rounds too soon but Ram has already set the precedent when it comes to picking guys several rounds too early. Undefeated, 3-0 in the UFC, brutal knockout power, and great submission skills when he’s forced. Silva is going to be a top guy in the coming years and he’s incredibly exciting to watch. His complete and utter devastation of Houston Alexander is just the latest, he can beat down the top strikers in the game and use that same skill to completely dominate grapplers. Thiago is just one example of the next generation of mixed martial artists and I’m proud to have him on my team and in my organization for years to come.

9.3 Ram Maramba: Miguel Torres

Previous Picks: Quinton Jackson (round 1), Randy Couture (round 2) and Urijah Faber (round 3), Keith Jardine (round 4), Kid Yamamoto (round 5), Lyoto Machida (round 6), Frank Mir (round 7), and Gilbert Melendez (round 8 )

Analysis: Double damn. I was expecting Aoki to lose last night, but I think his win lit a fire under Morgan and took him out from under me. Huck, defying a long-standing record of fail(!), picked up a nice sleeper in Thiago Silva. I thought both were flying under the radar and I paid dearly for waiting too long. Oh well. I may as well pick up the last ace up my sleeve, Miguel Torres. No one else is building the lower classes, but I just got stung twice and I’m not taking any more chances.

Torres makes it onto the majority of P4P lists, so having him on board gives me half of the consensus top 10 P4Ps along with Rampage, Couture, Faber and Kid Yamamoto. Just the thought of the matchups between him, Faber, Kid and possibly Melendez has me drooling and slightly aroused. If I had Aoki at 145, I’d be downright horny.

Huck says I overvalue? The guy with a decent LHW division that passed on Machida and Hendo in favor of Arlovski and Cro Cop in rounds 5 and 6? Nice. I guess you’re waiting ’til round 10 to steal Gan Mcgee, huh? Here’s an idea: draft somebody who can stop the run. Just because the Colts can’t, doesn’t mean you can’t either. Yoink!

9.4 Matt Cava: Nick Diaz

Previous Picks: B.J. Penn (round 1), Anderson Silva (round 2) and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (round 3), Jon Fitch (round 4), Matt Lindland (round 5), Sean Sherk (round 6), Paulo Filho (round 7), and Aleksander Emelianenko (round 8 )

Analysis: Nick may not have a top 10 ranking for overall skill, he’s definitely got a top 5 ranking for a young fighter the fans love to see. I dare any manager in this draft to say they wouldn’t want Nick Diaz on their roster. My roster is jammed with title holders and former champs, now with picks of Aleks and Nick Diaz, I’m bring cranking up the entertainment factor. Oh yea, and don’t forget, Diaz whooped Gomi’s ass, and Gomi was picked 5 rounds ago!!

9.5 Sam Caplan: Gabriel Gonzaga

Previous Picks: Brock Lesnar (round 1), Fedor Emelianenko (round 2) and Josh Barnett (round 3), Mauricio “Shogun” Rua (round 4), Brandon Vera (round 5), Dan Henderson (round 6), Rich Franklin (round 7) and Jason “Mayhem” Miller (round 8 )

Analysis: Like Vera, this is another fighter would would have went much higher if we had done this draft in the middle of last year. But after losing to Randy Couture in August and then letting his will get broken by Fabricio Werdum this past January at UFC 80, people are bearish on him, and understandably so.

This is a pick of need. After taking a light heavyweight fighter and some middleweights, I need to continue to fortify my heavyweight division and Gonzaga is without question the best heavyweight available. Finding young heavyweight fighters this late that are jiu-jitsu black belts that also have some standup skills is virtually impossible.

Believe me, I have a lot of questions about this pick but Gonzaga’s potential is too much to ignore. If this guy does some soul searching and gets the eye of the tiger back, this pick will prove to be a steal. However, if the way he fought vs. Werdum becomes a trend, this pick will prove to be a bust.

9.6 Sam Cupitt: Nate Diaz

Previous Picks: Frank Shamrock (round 1), Tito Ortiz (round 2), and Gesias “JZ Calvan” Calvancante (round 3), Takanori Gomi (round 4), Roger Huerta (round 5), Kenny Florian (round 6), Cung Le (round 7), and Michael Bisping (round 8 )

Analysis: I was pretty damn shocked to see JZ lose against Aoki. Even though their first fight didn’t go that long it looked to me as though Calvancante had it won as long as he didn’t fall over. JZ’s loss shunts him down the rankings a little bit meaning I need to stack my lightweight tournament just a little bit more to overcome the problem. The obvious choice would have been Aoki, but Morgan snatched him up before I could lay claim so I think I’ll just go for another lanky lightweight in the form of Nate Diaz.

The kid’s a gamer as well as an “Ultimate Fighter” winner so he has both the name recognition and exciting style which makes him a perfect fit for my organization (called either EGO, TBA, or NOT SAMMA). Diaz has the Nogueira-esque quality of being able to take a severe amount of punishment before snatching victory with a last-gasp submission. It doesn’t hurt that his brother, Nick, dished out a rather embarrassing loss to fellow tournament competitor, Takanori Gomi meaning there is a story in place for a fight between he and Nate.

Basically Nate Diaz is just Nick Diaz without the pot controversy. That’s not to say I wouldn’t have claimed Nick if Cava didn’t.

• croyalporter says:

Cava rebounds with a great pick in Nick Diaz. Cava remains my early favorite, and I have to say, I hate B.J. Penn, but I like Cava’s organizational philosophy so much, I’m willing to cheer for Penn to get beaten down!

• Nick says:

Cava has the best roster by far as talent goes. I was all over Caplan in the beginning, but his roster is looking better as the rounds go by. The worst one has to be Cuppit. Sam will never recover from drafting Frank Shamrock number 1. Wow, what a horrible pick.

• matt says:

I’m seeing Morgan as the worst drafter with Kimbo not having any competition. His WW division is decent. Ram is all over the place. Top orgs for me are Huck and the Sams.

• Ram Maramba says:

Round 7 was fun, round 9 was intense but my favorite round was round Smiley Face With Sunglasses.

• RealDrew says:

Torres is the best pick of the round followed cloesly by Thiago Silva.

The potential matchups of Yamamoto, Torres and Faber would be insane.

Thiago is a stud and I would love to see him go against Chuck or Wanderlei.

• L Grant says:

Finally the Diaz boys go. Nick and Nate will fill seats and will provide for exciting fights every fight.

I’m really liking Huck’s pick of Thiago Silva. The man is an animal.

There’s one fighter that hasn’t been picked yet, he suffered a loss recently, but is one of the best in his weight class, a true up and comer with unbelievable potential, that hasn’t been picked yet. I hope someone nabs him next round. Otherwise, I’m going to throw his name out there, and you guys will all be saying; “DAMN! Why didn’t I pick him?!”

• Reaser says:

I see everyone is jumping on the Cava bandwagon now….Since I’ve been saying he’s been doing the best since the draft started…oh well, he’s still leading, with Cupitt right behind then Ram, Huck and Caplan are just behind the leaders. Then there’s Morgan who has (according to an ESPN.com column) Kimbo “the Clown” Slice. A perfect nickname for his nickname, even though I guess he’s already Street Certified, I think clown makes more sense…

• Reaser says:

And what’s the rules for us throwing out names, I don’t want to help or hurt anyone’s draft but theres a few names that haven’t been picked yet and its pissing me off…

• Adam Morgan says:

Reaser-

You really have it out for Kimbo, don’t you? May I ask why?

• Nick says:

Adam, Reaser has it out for Kimbo the same way everyone else does, because the guy is all hype with no substance, he is a product of good PR and Marketing. Kimbo has to fight someone real before the rest of us buy what he is trying to sell. In the meanwhile, he is a joke to me, and a bad joke at that.

• Adam Morgan says:

Nick-

And somehow that’s Kimbo’s fault? Shenanigans. The hate for Kimbo is unwarranted.

• Evan says:

“And somehow that’s Kimbo’s fault?”

He’s calling out Chuck…

• L Grant says:

I don’t hate Kimbo, I think he’s pretty cool really. I’m just kind of ticked off that Elite XC tries to promote him as a legitimate MMA fighter. All my hate goes towards the promoter. I mean, sure, it’s their job to hype him up and make some money. But, in reality, like Nick says, he’s a joke, and a bad one. He’s headlining events and he’s not even fighting legitimate opponents.
    I don’t think he should be fighting Nog or Fedor. Or even Gonzaga or Werdum. But, he should be facing someone like Carmelo Marerra, or even Justin McCully.

• Adam Morgan says:

“He’s calling out Chuck…”

• jason hughes says:

well#8 drop some names, couldnt hurt, names like hunt, yvel,lawler,pulver,ninja rua,arona, maybe morgan could pick up someone to fight kimbo, someone spectacular like giant silva ha ha.

• Reaser says:

Morgan: Don’t hate Kimbo, hate Gary Shaw for being one of three men to ruining my 3rd favorite sport (behind football and MMA) of boxing…it goes hand and hand, I HATE the promotion of Kimbo which is turn probably yes, makes me not really like Kimbo because he does the gang sign flashing on his own, but its more than anything the promotion of him and knowing that he could have 15 to 20 fights before (if ever) he fights any legit competition, its how Gary Shaw works, plus the entire promotion of SleezeXC, you can catch something just watching the show, let alone being in the crowd, not to mention the most corrupt of boxing judges somehow ref XC bouts, plus Shaw has a history of fixing fights in combat sports….

back to Kimbo “the Clown” Slice…

Commercials on CBS; Hero’s of MMA (shows Kimbo), Champions of MMA (shows Shamrock and Kimbo) which is false advertisement….everytime he is announced he’s the “internet streetfighting icon/legend”…every on camera appearance he makes he flashes the 4th street brothers gang sign…He talks about killing people, etc…He’s in the main event as a 2-0 against cans fighter, fighting basically another can, when the card has a title fight. What kinda sense does that make??? Plus how can a 2-0 fighter who hasn’t fought anyone legit be the face of MMA? Mark my words, the closer May 31st gets the worse the media coverage will be, Gary Shaw and his use of Kimbo Slice could easily set this great sport back 5-10 years…

Kimbo in MMA training with Bas, thats fine, even him fighting no-names or washed up fighters or guys with glass jaws, thats fine, but then he should be the first or second Televised fight (really on the undercard but obviously that wouldn’t make sense either)…and don’t let him flash 4th street brothers gang signs everytime he’s on camera, don’t imply he’s some kinda champion or hero of MMA, or even a future champion….

I could write a book on more problems, and maybe I was repeating some things, but you asked, I answered…

and #15 and maybe even for Morgan again, I personally like the sport of MMA, not hype or fabricated superstars, so maybe thats why I judge this draft a littler different, I would want guys like Anderson Silva, Jacare and Maia….The GSP’s, BJ Penn, Diaz brothers, JZ Calvan, Aoki, Fitch, Stann, Hazelett, Condit, Goulet (late rounds), Mousasi, Marcus Davis, Tamura, Semmy, Gono, Hellboy, many others….

I know most of those guys have been picked but just off the top of my head those are the type of fighters I personally like to watch, not overhyped, gang sign flashing, with fanboys hangin off his nuts, CLOWNS like Kimbo Slice…

Sorry for the long post but I was asked….

• Reaser says:

Plus excuse some bad grammar and paragraph long sentences, hah, I actually saw the Kimbo CBS commerial right when I was reading Morgan’s question and it pissed me off…

• Evan says:

“Whoa, whoa, whoa. Let’s look at the timeline of events here. Chuck took the first shots at Kimbo before Kimbo ever said anything about Chuck. Those are the facts.”

So his only response was to call him out back? He could have taken the high road and made Chuck look like an idiot pretty fast.

• Fight Fan says:

Caplan and Huckaby join together and the buy out the other HW and LHW fighters as the other org’s collapse. Or…they could all say “You fight for our organisation twice a year and you can fight anywhere else in between”. Thats my fantasy.

• Jeff says:

Up next? Cava picks Soko. Guaranteed.

• jason hughes says:

#16 i was actualy making fun of the kimbo pick, thats the reason for the giant silva reference, but you did throw some good names out there.