ROUND TEN of Five Ounces of Pain’s Fantasy MMA Mock Draft

mock_draft_logo1.jpg

View draft results HERE

Ten rounds down and 10-12 more to go! That’s right, round 10 of Five Ounces of Pain’s first-ever Fantasy MMA Mock Draft is in the books.

In case you’re new to the site , you can re-live the glory of the previous rounds.

To make a long story short, this is not a pound-for-pound top fighter list. What we’re doing is essentially pretending that every fighter in the world is suddenly declared a free agent with six new organizations selecting talent through a draft format.

The idea is to see how six different fans would construct their organization and which fighters they would select to help them execute their vision. Much like real world MMA, every promoter has their different philosophy with each organization establishing its own identity.

The results to round ten are available below.

10.1 Sam Cupitt: Clay Guida

Previous Picks: Frank Shamrock (round 1), Tito Ortiz (round 2), and Gesias “JZ Calvan” Calvancante (round 3), Takanori Gomi (round 4), Roger Huerta (round 5), Kenny Florian (round 6), Cung Le (round 7), Michael Bisping (round 8 ), and Nate Diaz (round 9)

Analysis: My next pick is a bit iffy because I could probably pick him up in a few rounds time but what the hell. I’m going to take Clay Guida. The reason I am choosing him now is firstly, his relentless style always lends itself to exciting fights and secondly, he could probably fight at featherweight, but as a lightweight he provides good padding for the first round of my tournament and I was worried that if I didn’t pick him this round, Ram would wake up and realise he could utilize a number of smaller UFC lightweights as filler for his strange looking featherweight division.

10.2 Sam Caplan: Antonio Silva

Previous Picks: Brock Lesnar (round 1), Fedor Emelianenko (round 2) and Josh Barnett (round 3), Mauricio “Shogun” Rua (round 4), Brandon Vera (round 5), Dan Henderson (round 6), Rich Franklin (round 7), Jason “Mayhem” Miller (round 8 ), and Gabriel Gonzaga (round 9)

Analysis: This was not an easy pick because there’s another guy I really liked with this pick who I know won’t be around by the time I pick again in the eleventh round. The thing is, I think Silva still made have been available but based on his status as a young heavyweight, I didn’t want to take even the slightest risk.

Silva didn’t look all that great vs. Ricco Rodriguez during Street Certified this past February but his knees weren’t right and Rodriguez is a bad matchup for a lot of fighters. Junior will be back and will continue his ascension towards being a top ten heavyweight.

I really like Silva as a guy with an enormous amount of upside who could develop into great matchups for Brock Lesnar, Fedor Emelianenko, and Josh Barnett. In a strange twist of fate, last summer I wrote an article for FIGHT! magazine entitled “Five who could beat Fedor.” I not only have Fedor, but I have four of the five heavyweights I wrote about (Lesnar, Barnett, Silva and Gabriel Gonzaga).

10.3 Matt Cava: Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou

Previous Picks: B.J. Penn (round 1), Anderson Silva (round 2) and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (round 3), Jon Fitch (round 4), Matt Lindland (round 5), Sean Sherk (round 6), Paulo Filho (round 7), Aleksander Emelianenko (round 8 ), and Nick Diaz (round 9)

Analysis: The “African Assassin” isn’t getting much love from the UFC, but he will from my promotion. Incredible power and mad judo skills at 23 yrs old, I can build him up properly into a dominating force. A top 15 LHW on many rankings, he fits my roster nicely.

10.4 Ram Maramba: Vladimir Matyushenko

Previous Picks: Quinton Jackson (round 1), Randy Couture (round 2) and Urijah Faber (round 3), Keith Jardine (round 4), Kid Yamamoto (round 5), Lyoto Machida (round 6), Frank Mir (round 7), Gilbert Melendez (round 8 ), and Miguel Torres (round 9)

Analysis: I don’t need him but I’ll nab the most underrated LHW in the world right now, Vladimir Matyushenko. He won’t last much longer in the later rounds. Ranked number 8 by our own Sam Caplan, the former UFC fighter has dominated the IFL. Jamal Patterson gave him a 1st round battle in his last fight, but the 2nd round was all Matyushenko. The wrestling wizard would make for a hell of a matchup with Rampage in a Fight Fiesta title bout, granted he’s able to get past Machida. I think he’s better than Jardine and about on par with Machida, both of whom were drafted much higher, but I banked on my compadres missing the boat on the non-UFC LHW and I was right.

10.5 Mike Huckaby: Seregi Kharitonov

Previous Picks: Chuck Liddell (round 1), Forrest Griffin (round 2) and Wanderlei Silva (round 3), Andrei Arlovski (round 4), Mirko Cro Cop (round 5), Rashad Evans (round 6), Tim Sylvia (round 7), Fabricio Werdum (round 8 ), and Thiago Silva (round 9)

Analysis: Easy pick for me as Sergei is handily one of my favorite fighters of all-time. Sure he didn’t have a brilliant 06 but he still hasn’t hit the MMA prime years of about 29-33 so the future is looking good. You want to talk about a man? When he destroyed his shoulder against Alistair not only did he keep fighting for five minutes, not only did he eat punishment, but to get the fight to be stopped he actually turned his face into Overeem’s knees. That’s the manliest way to quit in the history of man. No Gabe Gonzaga turtling, no Bo Cantrell tap as you fall down. Nope, turn your face into the punishment. Sergei Kharitonov…. man.

10.6 Adam Morgan: Eddie Alvarez

Previous Picks: Georges St. Pierre (round 1), Kimbo Slice (round 2) and Jake Shields (round 3), Carlos Condit (round 4), Diego Sanchez (round 5), Matt Hughes (round 6), Josh Koscheck (round 7) , Shinya Aoki (round 8 ), and Matt Sera (round 9)

Analysis: I’ll take Eddie Alvarez, one of Philly’s finest MMA fighters. Alvarez is on the come up in the world of MMA and he is about as marketable as they come. He’s got the look, he’s got the skills, and with a recent victory in Japan over one of the world’s best lightweights in Andre Dida, he is completely legitimate. While Alvarez was severely outsized fighting at welterweight, lightweight seems to be the perfect class for him and he has looked very good in his last two outings. I may be overvaluing Alvarez at this spot, but with two East Coasters in the draft (Caplan and Cava) who have man-crushes on Alvarez, I figure I might as well reach out and grab him before they could. He’s a solid addition to my lightweight division.

• recently.reaped says:

Still loving Cava’s roster of solid great fighter. Not a questionable pick to be seen! Soko is a great pick up this late in the draft too.

Starting to really like Cupitt’s draft as he’ll be able to put on a very sold LW grand prix and regardless of what Dana White says, ppl love Grand Prix’s! Don’t send Guida to the wolves in the first round Sam!

I’m also liking Huckaby’s idea of drafting just 2 weight classes and having some potentially great fights in both classes. Love Kharitonov’s fights too, win or lose dude fights hard.

as for Ram’s and Caplan’s picks.. meh case of big fish in a small pond is why both those fighters looks so good. You know kinda how internet mma fans were all over Jeremy Horn and his great chances vs Chuck when he first came to the UFC. He looked dominant in lesser orgs because he was fighting lesser fighters. IMO if Matyushenko or Antonio Silva were to step up to UFC level competition.. they’d look very average.

• Derek B. says:

How about a draft with only new prospects?

This is getting exciting though. I can’t really choice who has the best roster becuase everyone has great & exciting fighters with all their picks.

• Noah says:

Hey Drek B.,

I know what you’re getting at about drafting new prospects, there’s a problem with that idea. Nobody knows them! It’s hard enough to speculate on people you’ve seen fight many times, MMA is too unpredictable. Now you want them to try and pick fighters who nobody (nationally) has ever heard of? That would not be a popular article.

By the way guys, I have been interested since round 1. Keep up the good work.

• Ram Maramba says:

I gotta tell you guys, this has been great fun. Making the picks and developing a strategy is interesting on its own, but the table talk as we make our picks has been a blast. The comments section after each round is posted is probably the best part though, from the WTFs to the insights on why a promotion would or wouldn’t be interesting. Keep it coming guys!

• ironic sumo says:

it will be interesting at the end to see which two promotions could band together and put on the best co-promoted card

• Matt C. says:

Ditto Ram. It’s nice to log onto the site everyday to read how many people think I’m the Man.
    I used to run fantasy baseball and football keeper leagues for several years, which I gave up when I hooked up with Caplan to help run 5 Oz (not enough hours in the day). This draft brings it all back for me.
    It’ll be pretty badass in a year or so when CBS Sports and Yahoo Fantasy role out their MMA fantasy leagues. You know that has to be in the works…

• Derek B. says:

No doubt Noah. I think we’ll start seeing some upcoming prospects in the 16 – 22 rounds.

• croyalporter says:

Man, I’m loving this series. However, as I’m doing my own “mock drafting” along with these articles, I’m amazed at how many guys are still falling. Since the six drafters seem to be looking for a good mix of marketability and skills, how did the following guys not get drafted yet?:
    Chris Leben – rock hard chin, good on the mic, always in a brawl, former TUF’er
    Karo Parisyan – has never had a boring fight — ever!
    Thiago Alves – just beat Karo, young, good-looking, great stand-up and ground game
    Yushin Okami – he just wins, baby
    Roger Gracie – the Gracie name is marketable, and he’s a good looking prospect
    Cheick Kongo – kickboxer who looks better than he fights, but he could molded with the right matchmaking
    Tyson Griffin – another guy who’s always going to be in a fight of the night candidate
    Frankie Edgar – see the comments for Clay Guida in the draft and Griffin directly above him
    Ben Rothwell – big, with lots of KOs to his name — last time I checked, fight fans like to see HWs knock other guys out
    Phil Baroni – hey, if Shamrock and Ortiz can get drafted as high as they did, I can’t believe Phil’s still around…even if I can’t stand him

Man, there’s still so many more…. I can’t wait to see how this draft concludes.

• Reaser says:

Stop talking about co or cross-promotion. What would be the point of this draft??? Further more, you only cross-promote when your crap, if your the best, like Cava at the moment, why the hell would you make the other promotions better or give them recognition by cross-promoting with them? Or while Cava is running the fantasy MMA world why woud he just boost’s up his competitors organization, why?!? It wouldn’t happen so stop saying it.

Its like the clowns that say BJ Penn (or if Sherk wins) isn’t the real LW champion until he beats KJ Noons and unifies the titles. Or Anderson Silva isn’t the MW Champion of the world because he hasn’t beat Robbie Lawler (or Scott Smith) two guys who washed out of UFC.

It’s annoying as hell, anyways, Cava’s still dominating and really I only have faith in Huck or Cupitt making a 2nd half of the draft run at Matty C.

It’s interesting who people pick though, kinda shows the difference between the people who actually stay up til 4am to watch live MMA events, or actually watch ALL the shows, as opposed to reading results and thinking they know MMA.

How the hell is Jacare and Maia still avaliable? I figure Cava and Huck will each get one soon because they seem to actually know what they are doing.

• Huckaby says:

HA, I just took someone in the next round that led to Cava IMing me hatefully for taking his next pick.

BOOYA CAVA. BOOYA.

• I heart Kimbo says:

^^^^

This guy is clearly a n00b and must work for the ufc. co promotion rules for fans noob.

• L Grant says:

I’m really disappointed in this round, with the exception of Clay Guida, who would be on my top 10 draft picks for the same reasons Cupitt took him.

I think there are several fighters out there that should have gone higher the guys who’ve been picked this round.

It’s getting very interesting to see how these promotions are shaping up. I’m loving this!

• keenan says:

nick diaz? morgan? pretty sure he can drop to liiiiight? plus everybody wants to watch him fight so surprised he hasnt bin picked up yet. also karo, the guy fights hard.

• jason hughes says:

soko is a great pic, dont understand why he has been thrown under the bus after only one fight but i think he is the type of guy to rattle off seven in a row, maybe fight for a title .

• jason hughes says:

#9 dont you think cross promotion can be a good thing, wouldnt you like to see cung le vs anderson silva, barnett vs couture, gomi vs sherk?

• Reaser says:

If you want 10 plus titles per weight class, corrupt promoters, refs and judges, fightings fixing fights and the sport to completely fall apart, then yes, cross promotion is great….

Why would I want to see those fights, someone who’s not even top 10 in his own weight class verse the #1 (or 2 depending) pound for pound fighter in the world?

I hate PEDs and on the next fight, I hate PEDs….

What I’de rather see is two top promotions in the world, just for example sake a UFC and DREAM, they do things their own ways, have all the top fighters, MAYBE unification bouts or UFC sending guys to DREAM for tourneyments but really just do their own things….

As opposed to 100′s of promotions (meaning 100′s of champions) which aren’t even really promotions, they sign 1-8 fighters and call themselves a promotion, claim their guys are the best, then try and cross-promote, and you only cross promote if your a crap organization, obviously…

You got a guy who’s blatently ruined one combat sport now claiming every MMA fighter he has is the best in the world, when he has 1 top 10 rated fighter (in the guys own weight class) and besides that you can argue maybe 2 of his other guys should be in the 10th spot in their weight class…

What you have now is promotions making up weight classes, all of a sudden if fake fans want their way you’ll have millions of weight classes with 10-20 champions per weight class, NEVER have the best fight the best, aka a boxing model…thats what cross-promotion brings, its the opposite of what people think, because stupid people think short term and not long term…

If you were a football fan would you want NFL teams playing CFL, Arena Football, the UK’s league and Japan football teams??? Because there’s probably guys in the CFL right now that could be in the NFL that have been overlooked, but for the most part the best players migrate to the best league, the NFL.

If you want MMA to become boxing, support cross promotion…

If you want MMA to become what the NFL is in the US, Worldwide though, then hope that one American and one Japanese promotion each get things done and the SleezeXC’s herpes infested promotion isn’t anywhere near either of them…

• jason hughes says:

i agree elite xc is bad but i really like strikeforce, but anywho, the last world baseball champioship was kinda a cross promotion theoretically wasnt it , and we saw some great players from cuba, japan and other countrys we wouldnt have seen had it not been so heavily broadcasted, and we found out that there is great baseball all over the the world. the same can be said for mma i hope. by the way give me your out come of cung le vs anderson sliva as of right now. would it make it past the first round?

• Reaser says:

I like Strikeforce as well, but it’s just a west coast promotion…

and the “World Baseball Classic” we saw all the players we see everyday in MLB and Japanese baseball, which you kinda made my point about what “I” personally would like to see in MMA. Obviously minus the Cuba players, but we all know the story there.

Silva finishes Le in the first two rounds…and I’m not hating on Le, he’s NEVER lost in a combat sport as far as I know, just saying, in MMA he’s not even top 10 yet….and who knows, maybe he does beat Silva, but the easiest way to ensure the best fight the best isn’t 100′s of promotions with cross promotion, its ONE or TWO top pro promotions the best fight in, then you get the best verse the best.

It’s just like Tito saying he’s going to be a World Champion again just not in the UFC, then he’s not a World Champion at all. That’s what pisses me off, he knows he can’t win in the UFC, so goto some crap promotion, call himself a champion and then say oh the UFC won’t cross promote to find out who the real champion is, etc.

Like what Gary Shaw will say if Scott Smith wins the MW title, Shaw will go on and on about Smith is the best MW in the world, and the UFC is scared to cross promote because Smith is better than Silva. When Scott Smith was 1-3 (I believe, too lazy to look) in the UFC, basically couldn’t cut it in the big leagues, but now basically the minor leagues are saying their fighters who lost over and over in the UFC are world champions. Same with Lawler, he lost his last 2 fights in the UFC, he’s no world MW champion, he’s a sleezy herpes infested promotions champion.

For the record Scott Smith is one of my favorite fighters, I’m just realistic about things, he has no business fighter for or being considered some kinda World Champion at the moment. But he does have my favorite ending of a fight of all time, ha…

• jason hughes says: