Kimbo Slice puts Forrest Griffin rumor to rest

kickasskimbo

Not too long ago Dana White made a comment to Deadspin regarding a fight between Kimbo Slice and Chuck Liddell, saying that Kimbo’s not ready for Chuck yet and that he heard a rumor that Slice had been knocked out by Forrest Griffin in a sparring session recently. According to a recent interview with Kimbo at MMA News, that’s not the case:

“No, there is no truth to that at all. It’s bullshit and Forrest Griffin will tell you that it’s bullshit too. The fact is it was a good sparring session and I was training with Forrest and he was talking to me about defending yourself at all times and then he threw a big kick and I was like “WOAH I never even seen that coming” but no I never got knocked out. Even if I did get knocked out, saying that and putting that rumor out there just makes you a pussy.”

• mike wolfe says:

So who’s he calling a pussy, White or Griffin? Kinda stupid to insult White, because he might want to move to the UFC someday. Insulting Griffin is dumb because of Griffin’s popularity, and it’s also pointless because they’re in different org.’s there’s no chance of a grudge match.

• BJJDenver says:

He is talking about Dana.

While I agree it may not be the best move for a possible future in the UFC, I’m sure all the Dana haters will love it.

I do respect him for standing his ground, but I sometimes wonder why these guys even bother responding to internet rumors.

• HexRei says:

Here’s what I had to say when i saw this posted elsewhere on friday:

This part put me off a little and makes me wonder if there is more to this story. It’s an odd way to end a denial. If it were true, it’s not a rumor so what’s wrong with talking about it?

Kimbo’s description is still a little barebones imho. Forrest threw a big high kick, Kimbo didn’t see it coming… and then what? Forrest pulled the kick at the last second? Kimbo defended it? Kimbo got hit but was unfazed? Kimbo was rocked?

It seems like Kimbo deliberately left that part vague. My guess is that he was not KO’ed but probably rocked and maybe even dropped. He’s still relatively new to MMA and the level of skill involved, and frankly not that tall at HW (presenting a fairly low target for a tall and long guy like Forrest), so I can see it happening.

• HexRei says:

BJJDenver, it wasn’t just an internet rumor… Dana said it on camera IIRC and made it sound like it came from someone who witnessed it.

• HexRei says:

oops, in a phone interview, not a cam interview.

• jball says:

even if he did get knocked out… i think there would be nothing wrong with that. just hard training and sparring. and only good can come from that.

• I don’t get the blind Dana White love. He openly said this and apparently according to both sources it’s not true. Maybe if you were insulted publicly you’d look at it differently.

Dana wants Kimbo more than Kimbo wants him. It’s openly apparently the UFC will make a big play at Kimbo when his EXC contract is up, this is just another example of Dana being a shithead and hurting himself in the long run for no apparent reason other than being self-destructive.

• HexRei says:

I don’t like Dana much at all myself, but Michael, where did you hear Forrest say it wasn’t true?
    All I see is Kimbo saying “It’s bullshit and Forrest Griffin will tell you that it’s bullshit too.” That’s not really the same thing as Forrest saying it isn’t true. And like I said, Kimbo was REAL vague on what the the result of the kick actually was. If the kick dropped (or even seriously rocked) Kimbo, Dana would not be a horrible liar to say he heard Kimbo was knocked out by the kick, even if Kimbo himself doesn’t feel he lost consciousness.

• Zack says:

The source was Kim Couture on a radio show. Randy was there too.

• jason hughes says:

i have trained ny brain to only listen to about 40 percent of what dana white actually says.

• egad81 says:

umm… when did getting rocked in practice by someone the same size and more experience become a point of interest?

I got my bell wrong a few times by guys in practice…. but that just made me better at my sport.

Everyone calls Kimbo a joke but the fact that he is training with the #2 Light Heavy in the UFC says to me he is FOR REAL!
    I could also see Kimbo fighting at 205 and then NIGHT NIGHT CHUCK!

• HexRei says:

Hey Zack, thanks for the info. Still love to hear Forrest say it though.

• HexRei says:

Yeah, a guy who has never yet fought a can (and I’m including Thompson there, he is all looks and no chin).
    That makes perfect sense, James Thompson and then Chuck Liddell. *lol* You are going to be very disappointed, my friend.

Last @ #11.

• HexRei says:

lol. and it should have read “never yet fought anyone who’s not a can”. blame rapid-posting at work ;)

• Andrej says:

Why does people care if Kimbo got knocked out in training? It’s training right so a better way of saying it would be I have become better at blocking head kicks except Kimbo calls people pussy’s – That is how thug would say it. sad =+(

• matt says:

hahha yea kimbo at 205 are you kidding? he weighs like 260 thats impossible

• HexRei says:

matt, Kimbo weighed a whopping 238 at his last bout (against Tank). That’s right, 238 lbs. and the guy was at HW and so no weight cut was necessary.

• Kimbo weighs like 230lbs. Forrest probably walks around at about 225lbs.

So yeah.

• HexRei says:

For comparison, Chuck liddell weighs 230+ before weight cut, Forrest 240 +.

• HexRei says:

Mike, I’ve heard a lot higher than that walking around for Forrest. Apparently he makes a very lengthy cut during training camp.

• Evan says:

ugh……so sick of Kimbo.

• egad81 says:

“Forrest walks around at 240″ – Randy Couture

I walk around at 235 and just recently cut to 205… just stopped eating cake and ice cream :(

• Completely off-topic but I get sick of people that make excuses about dieting and losing weight. Athletes and anyone in shape can drop weight really easily with basic work. I lost 30lbs since the start of the year to get back to my ideal weight and I get sick of people saying it’s metabolism or because I’m young. I’m eating salmon and vegetables and then going for a jog, I don’t want to hear you whining about why it’s easy for me while you eat a piece of cake.

michael, pics or stfu :p

• Handover Fist says:

I’ve read interviews with Forrest where he said he walks around at 240+. In the same interview he said he loves his cookies and ice cream. :-)

I use the think Frank Shamrock had the best PR machine going but it pales by comparison to Mr. Slice. Somehow the guy has managed to become one of the faces of MMA fighting Bo Cantrell and Tank Abbott? In the last two months I think I’ve seen more articles on Kimbo then Anderson Silva and GSP combined…… crazy.

• Evan says:

Good for you Michael!

• mike wolfe says:

Echo #27 Evan, but NO PICTURES. That’s just wrong on this sight.

• Fight Fan says:

“Even if I did get knocked out, saying that and putting that rumor out there just makes you a pussy”

That makes no sense Kimbo. By the way Kimbo, I don’t hear you demanding good opponents…you’re the pussy Kimbo.

• Fight Fan says:

Who is Kimbo gonna fight after this English powder puff?. If he is claiming to be an MMA fighter he should fight an MMA fighter. Makes sense to me but it wont happen, he’ll fight…an ex footballer or Kalib Starnes, not an MMA fighter.

• Fight Fan says:

P.S. Adam is a Kimbo groupie.

• Zantetzuken says:

If Kimbo dosn’t do anything serious after Thompson then im couting him out for good as far as a real fighter.

• JacRabbit says:

“The source was Kim Couture on a radio show. Randy was there too.”

Zack, if I’m correct, this was an in-person, and informal conversation that a Sherdog(?) member supposedly had with Kim when visiting Xtreme Couture. I remember reading this. To be honest, his whole post seemed kinda exaggerated… Don’t recall reading anything about it in regards to a radio show.

• JacRabbit says:

P.S. I wouldn’t doubt that he was possibly rocked or even KO’d, but the way that it was vocalized as an attempt to harm his appeal was pretty lame. Is there really a pro that has never been rocked in practice? Now lets add intercepting a blind kick with your head to that…

• BHos says:

maybe she (kim) meant he got rocked by a kick by forrest, but not knocked out. someone could have misinterpreted it and then just ran with it.

i mean, kimbo slice said, “whoa, i never seen that coming.” so he probably didn’t block it very well. and he said it was a big kick. so he probably got rocked but not knocked out.

or maybe kim said kimbo “almost” got knocked out or something.

either way, it was just some sparring so who cares? forrest was talking to him and showing him some stuff. whatever.

• isaac says:

yea kimbo is a tough ass guy…like everyone else is saying, forrest brought the kick to kimbo, most likely kimbo was suppose to block it but didnt block it good enough, and he got kicked hard…so yea it was most likely and accident it happend…so all of you saying kimbo is a pussy fuck off,he could kick any of your asses

• Fight Fan says:

# 36 “he could kick any of your asses”

Duh…just not any MMA fighters ass it seems.
    Kimbo hasn’t fought anyone good and those he fought took a dive and people still complain about others pointing out THE FACT that Kimbo is a fake fighter to date. Why?.
    When ( and if ) he fights for real we will stop trash talking him.
    Stop standing up for Kimbo, he has no cred so far so what is it you feel you need to protect him from?…the truth perhaps. The facts are that he is a hyped up fighter who dosn’t fight good opponents, in fact some of his opponents OBVIOUSLY took dives.
    Why defend him?. Until he fights for real, the trash talking is just going to get worse, so just accept that Kimbo is a little girly man who wears womens clothing, high heels and gets paid in milk and cookies.