Bunch responds to April 30 story by 5 Oz. of Pain

kif_2610.jpg Former New York Giants fullback Jarrod Bunch recently contacted FiveOuncesOfPain.com to give his side of a previous story about him that we reported on April 30.

We reported last week that a proposed bout on EliteXC’s undercard on May 31 in Newark, N.J. between Bunch and former Steelers and Jets offensive lineman Carlton Haselrig was never signed because Bunch declined the fight.

While the report is accurate, Bunch wanted to make it clear that his reasons for turning down the bout had nothing to do with any concerns over facing Haselrig. Bunch stated in a e-mail exchange with Five Ounces Of Pain that he turned down the bout over financial concerns.

“The money they offered didn’t make good business sense,” Bunch wrote in response to an e-mail sent by Five Ounces Of Pain to verify a comment he submitted in response to our original story.

According to Bunch, EliteXC offered him a guarantee of $3,500 to fight Haselrig with the potential to earn an additional $3,500 if he was able to win the fight.

When asked to clarify the amount offered, Bunch indicated that the money offered by EliteXC was significantly less than what he received for his first MMA bout.

“That’s about 10% of what I got three years ago when I didn’t know anything,” Bunch wrote. “Now that I’m a Jiu-Jitsu World champion, Pan Am champion, U.S. Nationals champion, U.S. Open champion, No Gi champion, and my acting career is going very well. I just guest starred on CSI: Miami three weeks ago. I know I bring a lot to the table worth more than $3,500 and $3,500.”

Bunch also indicated that one of his trainers decided to sponsor him not to fight so that he wouldn’t accept the offer out of concern that he might reduce his open market value if he had accepted it.

According to Sherdog.com’s fight finder database, Bunch has one pro MMA match on his record. He made his MMA debut during a King of the Cage show in 2005, losing to fellow former NFL player Michael Westbrook after submitting to a rear naked choke at 4:55 of round 1.

• Kelvin says:

Hold up…so he’s become a Jiu-Jitsu World champion, Pan Am champion, U.S. Nationals champion, U.S. Open champion, No Gi champion…in 3 yrs?

• Patrick says:

Kinda thinking Bunch likes to embellish things a bit much.

• JacRabbit says:

All this, yet only 1 pro fight? I’m lost…

• DS says:

All those are true. It’s all at blue and purple belt, but it’s true.

• Evan says:

““That’s about 10% of what I got three years ago when I didn’t know anything,” Bunch wrote. “Now that I’m a Jiu-Jitsu World champion, Pan Am champion, U.S. Nationals champion, U.S. Open champion, No Gi champion,”

whuh?

I’m with Kelvin…

• Patrick says:

Ah right, didn’t think about the lower belt ranking competitions. Still… surprised he’s succeeded at all of those things at purple belt. There some pretty fierce competition in those tournaments after blue.

• bjjdenver says:

Dude was an NFL player, so he obviously has some things going for him. I would say a guy like that, at higher weights and lower belt levels could definitely accomplish those things in a relatively short time frame.

And after seeing Haselrigs in cage performance, i seriously doubt if he is scared to face him.

• Mike Wolfe says:

Sounds like a smart business move to me. If he fights for small money once, that might set his price on a going forward basis. Sometimes you make money by saying “no” and being patient.

• MikeJitsu says:

Jarrod is bad ass. I’ve seen him fight several times at the national tournaments and recently at the Pan Ams. He did the right move because where he is at now with his Jiu-Jitsu career he’s definitely worth more then $3500.

• sven says:

Bunch is a Wolverine baby! That right there should bring him Kimbo-like money. :D