Coming soon to an MMA promotion near you?

200px-bobby_lashley.jpg

Dave Meltzer is reporting on the Wrestling Observer website that Bobby Lashley’s non-compete clause with World Wrestling Entertainment ended yesterday.

Many readers of this site are hardcore MMA fans who hate it when pro wrestling and MMA coverage cross paths, but the undeniable truth is that Lashley could be an impact player in MMA — should he choose to go down that path.

Being a former WWE U.S. champion and ECW heavyweight champion is meaningless when it comes to MMA, but I think his credentials as a former NAIA wrestling champion in college and his past training at the American Kickboxing Academy in San Jose, Calif. are very relevant. The fact that he also served the U.S. as a member of its Army is also a plus for him.

At age 31, time is against Lashley. However, he has an existing fanbase thanks to his WWE background and he’s really a great athlete. He’s without question someone who could really make some money for an MMA promotion if he was managed properly.

According to Meltzer, Lashley’s first non-WWE appearance will be for Booker T’s PWA promotion on May 23 in Pasadena, Texas. While getting to wrestle on a smaller show in order to help out your buddy is nice, Lashley is eventually going to have to decide what he wants to do long-term. My assumption that he has two options: continue wrestling and sign with TNA, or train full-time in MMA.

Personally, I’m hoping he chooses MMA. Like Brock Lesnar, I think he can bring a lot of new fans to the sport.

• bjjdenver says:

I may be off here, but it is my understanding that he competed in college around 180’s and that he now is around 80-100 pounds heavier. Dude is shredded, so it raises the unfortunate question surrounding athletes these days. Can he pass a drug test?

Please correct me if i am way off base here.

• Mike Wolfe says:

• Jay says:

After the PPV buys in February Lesnar is going no where.

• Evan says:

*ended

• HexRei says:

WWE = show bizness. How many successful college and olympic wrestlers are there anyway, and why is this one special? because he acted on WWE?

• Ehyo says:

Lesner vs. Lashley??

• Zantetzuken says:

Lesner vs. Cro Cop

• Danny says:

if 4 some miracle lesnar loses to coleman, the ufc may not be willing to take another chance on a former pro wrestler.

• ctownhood says:

“I don’t see him in the UFC, because it’s kicking out wrestlers like O’Brien. Wonder about UFC’s plans for Lesnar.”

I don’t think it’s fair to lump Brock Lesnar into the same category as O’Brien. Lesnar showed some devastating stand up against Mir. He just needs to work on his submission defense. O’Brien had nothing going on but his wrestling, which did not make for exciting fights. Lesnar v Mir was non-stop action.

• Dave says:

He better plan on competing in Hawaii and Japan, if you catch my drift.

Dude competed in college at 177. Now look at him. Draw your own conclusions.

• DPK says:

I think that if anything, UFC should have learned not to put someone in their second professional fight, in with a former UFC Champion. Lesnar showed alot of potential in the Mir fight, but then he got caught in a move that an inexperienced fighter can, and will get caught with against an expereinced MMA fighter.

Lashley is a physical stud, just like lesnar, and he has a legitimate wrestling pedigree. I don’t know what his WWE contract was like, but I’m guessing that he has the financial security to focus on training full time, and learning the MMA game. Plus, I’d love to see him train for about a year or two and then fight Lesnar.

Of course, UFC put Lesnar in with another former UFC champion for his 3rd pro fight, but Coleman is alot farther away from his prime than Mir

• scott_whitt says:

#1 hit the problem right on the head. Lashley won his title in the 185 weight class and to say that he is bigger would be a HUGE understatement. I do not want to make accusations but perception is what it is.
    I know time is not on his side but he should not try and rush it. Don’t sign an exclusive contract and do some small shows. See where he is at and wait for Gary Shaw to offer you a stupid contract because he apparently has a fetish for wrestlers who cannot talk.

• bruce kleinman says:

#9 is exactly correct: if Lesnar learns some BJJ defense – or better yet – some BJJ he will be a major force to be reckoned with in UFC. He has enormous potential.