Report: U.K. star Dan Hardy signs with UFC

According to Fighters Only Magazine, U.K. welterweight Dan Hardy has signed a four fight contract with the UFC. The report says that the UFC intends to make Hardy “as big as Michael Bisping,” but no official announcement of the signing has been made yet.

Also according the report, Hardy was close to signing a deal with EliteXC but the negotiations with the UFC continued and Hardy ended up signing with them. He is expected to make his debut sometime this fall.

Hardy owns a 19-6 record and is one of the most popular and exciting fighters in the U.K. so it should be no surprise, with UFC moving into those markets, that Hardy is now a part of the promotion. Check out a nice highlight reel of Hardy after the jump.

• Jeff says:

i’ve seen quite of few of this kids fights and let me tell you, i for one am PUMPED to see him at 170 in the UFC. though against lesser comp, he showed some serious athleticism, stand up, and gnp in the fights i saw…kinda reminded me of a certain champion, but w/no question about his heart and toughness. i’d like to see him come in and run off 4 or 5 in a row and get a crack at GSP!

• ekc says:

congrats to Dan!!

• Jeremy says:

I saw the report from sherdog about this signing. Excellent news, can’t wait to see him in the octagon.

• Dave says:

Dan is a great guy. Very humble, very driven. Great job by the UFC to sign him. Maybe now they can set up a rematch between him and that Japanese dude he kicked in the nuts.

• D says:

those are some beautiful combinations and his GnP is brilliant! Can’t wait!!

• Jeremy says:

I really hope they build Hardy up right, because I think he’s got the potential to be the UFC’s next big British fighter, like Bisping. I like what they are doing with Kim and Yoshida in their debuts. I think they both have opponents they should beat, if they are as good as they seem to be. Yoshida might have a little trouble with Koppenhaver, but I think he should take the fight. I’d love to see Hardy get someone like Kyle Bradley, or Mandaloniz, I would think he should be able to beat those guys and get over the first fight in the UFC stuff. Then move up from there.