Jason Day chosen as replacement vs. Bisping

With Chris Leben out as Michael Bisping’s opponent at UFC 85 on June 7, UFC.com is reporting that Jason Day has been tapped to face Bisping in Leben’s stead.

Leben was taken off the card after turning himself in to Clackamas County officials in Oregon last week in response to a probation violation on a 2005 DUI conviction.

Day had a successful UFC debut in April at UFC 83 when he recorded a first round TKO over Alan Belcher. Prior to being signed by the UFC, Day won a controversial split decision over David Loiseau during a Hardcore Championship Fighting card in February.

“I love this fight,” Day is quoted as saying in UFC.com’s official announcement. “Everybody’s been asking me who would I like to fight next, and I said Bisping, but who would have thought it would have come about so quickly. He’s a great fighter, an exciting fighter, tough as nails, and everybody wants that marquee fight where you get the guy that tests you and you slug it out for two or three rounds. I think he’s a pretty good test for me.”

• woooburn says:

since quarry didnt end up as the replacement, i’d like to see him fight leben next.

• ryan ramsay says:

i dont think leben quarry will happen given how tight they seemed during TUF 1. given marquardt and Bisping are both on the UFC 85 card, im hoping for Bisping-Marquardt sometime around September.

• Rich B says:

Just hoping that this or the Evans fight gets bumped for Leites/Marquardt.

• ryan ramsay says:

there is no way the are going to put bisping on the undercard of a ppv in his own country.

• Zane says:

I am torn. I love Bisping and hate how he has such a bad repuation all over the Hamill fight, but Jason Day is very exciting and one of my new favorite fighters. This card might not have amazing star power, but there are some very interesting fights that will no doubt entertain. I hope they slug it out and give us a high paced brawl. I am going to pick Bisping by TKO in the 2nd round, Day will no doubt give him a run for his money though. If Bisping wins, I guarantee that within a few weeks we will get the announcement of Anderson Silva Vs. Michael Bisping.

• DPK says:

I agree, I think Bisping wins, and his next fight is with Silva. If for nothing else because he came back on short notice to help save this show.

I’d also like to see Quarry fight Marquardt down the road.

• ryan ramsay says:

i dont know if bisping is ready for silva just yet, but give him a few fights with top tier mw players and you certainly have the makings of a war between Bisping an Silva

• ryan ramsay says:

charles mccarthy made a comment about bispings opponents being hand pick for domination. Sure looks that way, not that im complaining cause im a big bisping fan. but jesus its like sacrificing a virgin. it almost like the road to anderson silva seems to be paved with roses. Bisping is gonna get a title shot at Silva with little more than a scratch, wich is the same outcome of the fight that id like see. But, Anderson Silva is an absolute monster, i suspect the boogeyman would look something like silva.

• MMA SKOOL™ says:

Dammit. Bisping Leban would’ve been a good brawl, as would Bisping Quarry. Don’t know much about Day.