ROUND 16 of Five Ounces Of Pain’s MMA Fantasy Mock Draft

mock_draft_logo7.jpg

View draft results HERE

The massive undertaking known as Five Ounces of Pain’s MMA Fantasy Mock Draft is starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel. Our six promotions continue this marathon of MMA promotion building for your amusement and your amusement only. Okay, that’s not true. We’re actually having fun with this. Maybe a little too much fun. Especially when you start freaking out because someone drafted your late round sleeper out from under you like Mike Huckaby did to me with his pick at 16.5.

In case you’re new to the site , you can re-live the glory of the previous rounds.

To make a long story short, this is not a pound-for-pound top fighter list. What we’re doing is essentially pretending that every fighter in the world is suddenly declared a free agent with six new organizations selecting talent through a draft format.

The idea is to see how six different fans would construct their organization and which fighters they would select to help them execute their vision. Much like real world MMA, every promoter has their different philosophy with each organization establishing its own identity.

The results to round sixteen are available below.

16.1 Sam Cupitt: Nate Quarry

Previous Picks: Frank Shamrock (round 1), Tito Ortiz (round 2), and Gesias “JZ Calvan” Calvancante (round 3), Takanori Gomi (round 4), Roger Huerta (round 5), Kenny Florian (round 6), Cung Le (round 7), Michael Bisping (round 8 ), Nate Diaz (round 9), Clay Guida (round 10), Joe Stevenson (round 11), Antonio Rogerio Nogueira (round 12), Yves Edwards (round 13), Stephan Bonnar (round 14), and Tim Kennedy (round 15)

Analysis: Just like Joe Stevenson, Quarry earns himself a spot in my promotion for humiliating a douche bag. Public service acts aside, Quarry also gains a spot in my organization because he’s a tough, talented and exciting fighter who has fan support wherever he goes. He just has that quality that makes you want to see him do well. Quarry provides a tough test for any fighter in the middleweight division and even though it was hard to gauge much improvement in his fight with Starnes, his stand-up did look a lot crisper. All in all, “Rock” is a very solid inclusion into my 185 lbs. division.

16.2 Sam Caplan: Jake Rosholt

Previous Picks: Brock Lesnar (round 1), Fedor Emelianenko (round 2) and Josh Barnett (round 3), Mauricio “Shogun” Rua (round 4), Brandon Vera (round 5), Dan Henderson (round 6), Rich Franklin (round 7), Jason “Mayhem” Miller (round 8 ), Gabriel Gonzaga (round 9), Antonio Silva (round 10) , Robbie Lawler (round 11), Chris Horodecki (round 12), Frank Trigg (round 13), Frankie Edgar (round 14), and Ricardo Arona (round 15)

Analysis: The picks of Shane Carwin, Cain Velasquez, Brett Rogers and Jon Murphy inspired me to start thinking about the future of MMA. And when I looking into the future at 185 lbs., all I can see right now is Jake Rosholt. What about Anderson Silva, you ask? Well, who is left for him to fight at middleweight? Perhaps it could be Rosholt, the top unsigned prospect in all of MMA. The former NCAA champion wrestler is a perfect 4-0 since debuting in MMA and has drawn attention from all the major promotions such as the UFC, EliteXC, and the IFL.

I don’t think Rosholt is ready to compete with the cream of the crop in SAMMA’s middleweight division (i.e. Dan Henderson, Rich Franklin, Robbie Lawler, Frank Trigg, and Mayhem Miller) right now, which is why I’ll continue to let him hone his all-around MMA skills on the regional level. While SAMMA doesn’t have a minor league system, I will ink Rosholt to a limited non-exclusive that prevents him from competing with my direct competitors, but still allows him to fight outside of his contract for smaller promotions until we call him up.

16.3 Matt Cava: Demian Maia

Previous Picks: B.J. Penn (round 1), Anderson Silva (round 2) and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (round 3), Jon Fitch (round 4), Matt Lindland (round 5), Sean Sherk (round 6), Paulo Filho (round 7), Aleksander Emelianenko (round 8 ), Nick Diaz (round 9), Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou (round 10), Yushin Okami (round 11), Tyson Griffin (round 12), Chris Leben (round 13), Chael Sonnen (round 14), and Jeff Monson (round 15)

Analysis: Thanks to the other managers for letting this submission master fall to me. Already 7-0 in his young MMA career, Maia has fought twice in the UFC and twice has been awarded UFC Submission of the Night honors (putting Ed Herman to sleep via triangle at UFC 83 & making Ryan Jensen tap to an RNC at UFC 77). He is well decorated in the world of BJJ and has a ton of potential in MMA. In my fight league, it would be badass to build up Maia as the heir to Spider Silva’s throne. Although he’s known as a BJJ powerhouse, Maia also studies judo, kung fu and karate and even is has a journalism degree.

16.4 Ram Maramba: Yoshihiro Akiyama

Previous Picks: Quinton Jackson (round 1), Randy Couture (round 2) , Urijah Faber (round 3), Keith Jardine (round 4), Kid Yamamoto (round 5), Lyoto Machida (round 6), Frank Mir (round 7), Gilbert Melendez (round 8 ), Miguel Torres (round 9), Vladimir Matyushenko (round 10), Nathan Marquardt (round 11), Joachim Hansen (round 12), Ronaldo Souza (round 13), Mark Hunt (round 14), and Jon Murphy (round 15)

Analysis:I had three middleweights targeted, and two of them were just taken. So with Rosholt and Maia off the board, I’ll go with a less sexy but more proven pick, Yoshihiro Akiyama.

Akiyama has had a controversial career since his lotion fiasco against Sakuraba, you can’t argue with the man’s skills. Aside from his 10-1 record, boasting victories over Kin Taiei and Melvin Manhoef, his vicious uppercut knockout of the highly-regarded Denis Kang last October served notice. Unfairly stigmatized due to a couple of controversial NCs, there’s no arguing Akiyama is a well-rounded, uber-strong middleweight who finishes fights in exciting fashion. Unlike Rosholt and Maia, Akiyama doesn’t fit the “hot prospect” profile because he’s already come through on his potential.

16.5 Mike Huckaby: Melvin Manhoef

Previous Picks: Chuck Liddell (round 1), Forrest Griffin (round 2) and Wanderlei Silva (round 3), Andrei Arlovski (round 4), Mirko Cro Cop (round 5), Rashad Evans (round 6), Tim Sylvia (round 7), Fabricio Werdum (round 8 ), Thiago Silva (round 9) , Seregi Kharitonov (round 10), Brian Stann (round 11), Renato Sobral (round 12), Roger Gracie (round 13), Shane Carwin (round 14), and Brett Rogers (round 15)

Analysis: Anyone that knows me is not surprised by this as I have a bit of a crush on watching Melvin fight. I have a little handful of guys I still want to pick but I really have no idea in what order they’ll go to these maniacs. Melvin might have some problems on the ground but let us not forget I have potential matchups with Chuck Liddell, Wanderlei Silva, and Brian Stann for some slugfests. I’m smart enough not to put him in there with someone like Babalu. Melvin is always there for a good show and an exciting standup fight, something the fans of my organization demand.

16.6 Adam Morgan: Tara LaRosa

Previous Picks: Georges St. Pierre (round 1), Kimbo Slice (round 2) and Jake Shields (round 3), Carlos Condit (round 4), Diego Sanchez (round 5), Matt Hughes (round 6), Josh Koscheck (round 7), Shinya Aoki (round 8 ), Matt Sera (round 9), Eddie Alvarez (round 10), Ben Rothwell (round 11), Thiago Alves (round 12), Karo Parisyan (round 13), Gina Carano (round 14), and Cain Velasquez (round 15)

Analysis: Everyone wants to see Tara and Gina go at it to see who really is the best woman fighter in the world, so I am more than happy to give her that opportunity. After these ladies build up some wins in my organization and are marketed correctly, a superfight between the two will likely steal the show on a future pay per view. All of the top women fighters want a shot at Carano because she’s been marketed as the face of women’s MMA but hasn’t done a whole lot to get there and LaRosa in particular has been very vocal about this. She is the best woman fighter in the world right now also, which helps, because I now have the most marketable woman and the most talented woman in my organization. Think a fight between these two won’t sell? Think again.

• Clint Notestine says:

WAR QUARRY

• Jeremy says:

Wow, major run on middleweights that round. I’ll give it up to Cava with his Maia pick and his middleweight division overall. He’s got the best guy in Silva and all the major fighters we still want to see him take on(Lindland, Filho). Sam gets the nod behind him for his stacked middleweight division overall. Ram is right though, he got the best guy NOW, overall between the three.

• GoofyMonkey says:

For the love of god… How many rounds are you guys doing?

• croyalporter says:

Cava FTW! Great pick of Maia, with Huckaby just behind with a great pick in Melvin Manhoef. Hey, it’s not like I wouldn’t pay money to watch any of these promotions, but I can see Cava really appealing to the hardcore fan, and Huckaby being a promotion with big time potential to bring in the casual viewer. However, I’d suggest 4 minute rounds, Huck.

• SteveXtreme says:

Mr. Caplan, I don’t know if anyone has made this point to you yet but your Org. SAMMA very closely resembles YAMMA, in name only of course. Looking from a marketing perspective aren’t you afraid that the casual viewer will mistake you for them. Oh wait I forgot i’m retarded, as soon as you show that first advertisement with Brock Lesnar it won’t matter. Good call! Great pick in Rosholt by the way, but I think you underestimate him a little. I believe he would give Mayhem and Lawler trouble when he gets them to the ground. That would be good experience win or lose and if he wins both then you give him fight of his life against Henderson. Maybe I have to much of a man crush, but I like the kids potential.

• Sam Caplan says:

Steve, the name was intended to be a joke.

• SteveXtreme says:

I know man I was picking at you.

• Sam Caplan says:

Also, as I mentioned in a previous post, we’re doing 22 rounds.

• Sam Cupitt says:

Can I be called NOT SAMMA

• I heart Kimbo says:

Where is the reaser noob now? Talks so much smack hes a noob. great picks1

• Fight Fan says:

Saying he’s a noob with a name like that is the definition of irony.

• D says:

Hey guys, when you display your promotions (as above) could you separate them into weight classes and then place the round picked number in parentheses next to the fighter? It would make it easier to see how the promotions shape up. Just a thought.

e.g. SAMMA would look like:

HW: Brock Lesnar (round 1), Fedor Emelianenko (round 2), Josh Barnett (round 3), Gabriel Gonzaga (round 9), Antonio Silva (round 10), Brandon Vera (round 5)
    LHW: Mauricio “Shogun” Rua (round 4), Ricardo Arona (round 15)
    etc.

• Matt C. says:

^^ well stated #10.
    BTW I love how one commenter said: Cava FTW! Only if it means the old school ECW Tazz FTW “F*ck the World” not the lame-o “For the Win” as some people say…

• L Grant says:

It’s a good thing Morgan picked last, I stopped reading when I saw; “Everyone wants to see Tara and Gina go at it”.

And, I must say, I whole heartedly agree!!

Seriously though, Maia and Quarry are great picks. Manhoef and Akiyama are pretty damn solid too.

I’m really liking the look of these leagues, and Caplan’s (I think it was Caplan) statement about winning and losing drafts in the later rounds are proving true.

Some of you guys really got a head start with some amazing picks of big name number one guys, but at this point, I think everything is starting to even out a bit.

I would really like to see a continuation after the 22nd round, with the submission of the first and / or second event fight card by each organization.

That way we can see not only how you made your choices, but how you’re planning on using these picks.

• I still have 11 guys left I want to draft and I only have 5 picks left at this current minute.

:-(

• ryan ramsay says:

i still believe that michael bisping is going to be one hell of a contender at 185. i would love to see nate quarry as the next guy to step up to the replacment plate for currently shackled chris leben. i believe bisping would have sent leben back to hawaii with his ass in a sling. furthermore, match ups like bisping- quarry or bisping-marquardt sound pretty good to me considering the lacluster mw division.

• Nick says:

Has no one took Rogerio yet? I cannot believe it. You all lose IQ points for that one.

• Nick says:

Just noticed Cupitt grabbed him in round 12, maybe the steal of the whole draft. I take back what i said.

• Matt C. says:

I’m a big believer that drafts are won/lost in the later rounds. I think some great late round picks are:
    Morgan – Matt Serra Rd 9
    Huckaby – Babalu Sobral Rd 12
    Ram – Gilbert Melendez Rd 8
    Cava (me) – Nick Diaz Rd 9
    Caplan – Robbie Lawler Rd 11
    Cupitt – Rogerio “Lil Nog” Nogueira Rd 12

• L Grant says:

Jacare in 13 and Rothwell in 11 are also pretty great steals.

BTW, I was wondering what the rules are regarding weight classes. Hendo moves up and down between MW and LHW, Wanderlei has been rumoured to be going to MW, Bisping already made the drop. Serra and Penn have both fought above LW, same with Sherk.
    So, if you guys break everything up into weight classes, do you have the freedom to move people from one class to another, or are you going to have to stick with where they’re at, when you do that final sorting?

Or am I just jumping the gun?

• Reaser says:

Cava clinched it with that pick….

#10’s a troll….

#11…exactly….

• Adam Morgan says:

#20

I took Serra and Diego based on the fact that they can fight at lightweight as well as welterweight, so I believe it’s up to us what weight they would fight at.

• Little Nog is a great pick for that one card per year he might fight on.

• Sam Cupitt says:

lol that’s coming from the guy who picked Roger Gracie. You seriously think you can “control” him?

• Jye says:

I know it’ll be going out on a limb but what about taking up Marcelo Garcia. I know he’s had a bad debut but in my opinion is in the top 3 grapplers in the world and would definitely be exciting to watch once he gets a couple years training in MMA.

• Fight Fan says:

Is there a salary cap? cuz you are all in breach.

• Sam Cupitt says:

This isn’t rugby league.

We’ve all done the sexy pants dance for people with deep deep pockets and got us to fund our wild MMA organisations. It is a dark age where all MMA organisations have folded and out of the ashes rise our phoenix-esque promotions.

And let’s face it, if every MMA organisation closed down overnight the asking price for fighters would drop significantly.

• Fight Fan says:

Whoa! that was poetry Sam. I had to read it three times just to understand it. So I hope no rugby league players even try.

• Fight Fan says: