Diaz wants Aoki instead of Sakurai; “Mayhem” wants Sakuraba

Sherdog has a great piece up detailing some of the things that were said at the DREAM 3 post-fight press conference. Namely, Nick Diaz said he would rather be fighting Shinya Aoki next instead of Hayato Sakurai and Jason “Mayhem” Miller said that he would love a shot at his hero, Kazushi Sakuraba.

Nick Diaz on Aoki:

“You know, there’s a lot of other people I’d like to fight, just considering Mach Sakurai is a lot older than I am,” Diaz said. “He’s probably in his late 30s I’d imagine, so I’m going to have a lot of respect for him and everything he’s done. I tend to do better with people I have less respect for. To be honest, I’d rather be fighting Shinya Aoki or Kawajiri — somebody other than the guy that got knocked out by someone I already beat [Gomi].

“I know the only way to win is not care to win or lose,” he said. “That’s why I’m not afraid of anybody and why I want to fight the best. I think Shinya Aoki is the best fighter here. I want to fight this guy — I think I can beat him.

Jason “Mayhem” Miller on Sakuraba:

“My biggest dream ever was to fight Sakuraba,” Miller said. “He was my hero growing up. I’m lucky that in my business, I’m allowed to beat my heroes up in the same way I beat my dad up now.

“Sakuraba is my hero, and the prospect of being able to fight my hero is huge. It’s my dream, and hopefully I can accomplish my dream here. I’m happy that we’re in the tournament at the same time. No matter who they put in front of me, I want to defeat them in the most exciting manner possible. I’ve never seen Sakuraba tap out.”

• Last time I checked a No Contest wasn’t a win.

AHHHHHHH! JK!

I can’t wait for Diaz/Mach.

• Kelvin says:

I agree with Diaz.

• Rich S. says:

i’d give anything to see EITHER OF THOSE MATCHES..

• jjdnb says:

Man Diaz is ducking Sakurai, cuz he’d get KTFO. Diaz is way overrated. I admit i was on his bandwagon after the Gomi fight just like everyone else but come on we know that was just Gomi gassing out. Gomi put Diaz on the floor 3 times in the fight. If he didnt gass out, it would have been lights out for Diaz. Not to take anything awya from Diaz cuz he fought a hell of a fight.
    Sakurai would beat Diaz.

• Adam Morgan says:

Diaz isn’t ducking him. He fights him next for the DREAM welterweight title.

• the Levi says:

Nick doesn’t duck anyone.

• Zane says:

#4 give it a rest with being a hater. Everytime I see you post its to knock someone. Nick Diaz has one of the biggest hearts in the sport and the talent too match it. He has had horrible luck, everything from his bone structure that forces him too cut really easily (surgery fixed it tho), to beating the number 1 guy in the world and having it taken away for bullshit. He is still only 25 years old and he has so much experience. In less than a year he will be the dream welterwight champ and the EliteXC lightweight champ. Mark my words, and his brother is running thru the LW division (9 UFC fights including TUF, with 9 subvmission wins). NIck vs Aoki would be so entertaining, they have really different jj styles but are both amazing.

• Rich S. says:

at this point in Nick Diaz’s career.. for anyone to knock his skill or to say that he’ll get “KTFO” fast or something.. is absolutely ludicrous.. He is extremely talented.. extremely competitive.. and has alot of heart.. and personally, i like his chances against Aoki OR Sak.. Maybe it’s just me, but Diaz seems to really shine in the matches he has in Japan.. #6 put it best..

PS- i can’t wait for Jiu Jitsu Guy to come in and give his two cents on comment #4… lol..

• the one says:

go mayhem you’re for real
    sorry nick you pick the wrong man..

• Kogepan says:

hahha…i hope mach punks out Diaz for dissing him.

• paddiosf says:

Mach last fight he looked really flat and old..like he said Mach is a older fighter now and his better days are behind him..I’m surprised a Gomi/Diaz rematch hasn’t been mentioned yet? I would rather see Diaz/Aoki then Mach to be honest…

• yenny says:

I agree that Mach has looked a little flat lately, paddi. If Diaz/Sakurai happens, my money’s on Diaz.

• gfpeezy says:

late 30s?

sakurai is 32… i like diaz but he should just keep his mouth shut and fight

• lanzedom says:

I think mach is bad match up for nick. I see mach picking him apart more affectively than noons. I call the fight for sakuarai via doctors stoppage. but like everyone else I would love to see all the match ups nick spoke about. as for mayhem, have some respect don’t call you hero out when he’s over the hill because we all know a prime saku slaps the dog shit outta mayhem 10 out of 10 times.