Affliction officially announces first show on July 19; two-city media tour scheduled for next week

top_logo3.gif

Affliction Clothing issued a press release on Wednesday afternoon to formally announce its first-ever mixed martial arts promotion, titled “Affliction Banned,” on July 19 in Anaheim, Calif. at the Honda Center.

Affliction Banned” will be co-promoted with M-1 and Roy Englebrecht Events and will be available on pay-per-view for a suggested retail price of $39.95. Tickets for the event will go on-sale through Ticketmaster on Tuesday, May 20.

Event organizers have also announced a two-city media tour to take place next week. On Tuesday, May 20, Affliction will be holding a press conference in the Los Angeles area at the Westfield Mall in Century City at 12:30 p.m. PT. Then, on Thursday, May 22, Affliction will venture to New York to hold a second press conference in downtown Manhattan at the Trump Tower at 10:30 a.m. ET. Both events will be open to the public.

Several matches were formally announced in the release for the July 19 inaugural show, including the night’s main event between former PRIDE heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko and former UFC heavyweight champion Tim Sylvia.

Other matches signed for the show include a heavyweight bout between former UFC heavyweight champion Josh Barnett and former Art of War heavyweight champion Pedro Rizzo; a light heavyweight bout featuring Renato “Babalu” Sobral taking on Mike Whitehead and former Olympic silver medalist Matt Lindland against Fabio “Negao” Nascimento.

Ben Rothwell has also been announced for the televised portion of the card against an opponent to be determined.

• Schlegel says:

NICE! If all those fights are on the card this could really bring in some viewers. I cant wait to see Babalu and Whitehead, and of course the main event needs to happen. Fedor needs to fight, and I am glad it is finally someone that noone can say isnt talented, so lets see if the ole’ russian still has it! Very interesting also, considering how great Dream III was, the UFC better be shaking in their boots a lil bit, lol.

• Andy says:

I am looking forward to giving directv my money for this one!

Will there be a HD broadcast of the show?

• Jason Brewer says:

Man that is a bargain price…hopefully people will order this en masse…

• Ian says:

CAN.NOT.WAIT. Affliction stepping up to the plate here is almost enough to make me buy one of their shirts.

Ok, I’m kidding. Nothing could do that, but still, I really hope this show goes without any hitches and is a success.

I’ll be buying this.

Any word on if the ppv will be offered in HD as well?

• bjjdenver says:

I have hopes for this. I don’t like to see any mma promotion fail. Well….maybe Yamma, lol.

Seriously, I don’t want this to negatively impact UFC or any other promotion, but I do want it to succeed and continue. This is a fun card, and I get the feeling from Affliction guy (Atencio?), that they are interested in putting on even better cards in the future.

HDNet needs to get done, even if it is on a replay.

PS: WATCH THE IFL FRIDAY NIGHT!

• slimm says:

wow $40 for these fights hell thats most reasonable product that Afffliction has ever put forth.. cant wait for these fights besides seeing if Fedor still has “it”, u get Rizzo v Barnett, Rothwell is going to fight, Babalu v Whitehead great card @ a great price cant miss this one……

• efknutrition says:

I wonder if Fedor is going to go to disneyland after he wins

• Adam Morgan says:

EFK,

I think Fedor is already in Disneyland, or at least it certainly looks like it.

• Chabb says:

sick card, ill be there…. i wonder if they will rape us for ticket prices

• GoofyMonkey says:

Is it really a tour if it’s only two cities? Really? lol

• Ian says:

He’s in Egypt in those pictures. Looks to be pretty worried about Tim.

• Ian says:

Hmm, not sure why the last link doesn’t work. Here’s the full picture list, and uh, Google tells us that Fedors site might harm your computer, but I couldn’t find anything malicious after going.

• matt says:

anyone know if it will be in a ring or a cage?

• slimm says:

in my opionion Affliction “Banned” will be the best opening card for any company to my knowledge

• Ian says:

All reports are ring, matt.

• sean says:

I will be sitting in front row and in a press box gentlemen. We will see you guys there.

• rob enderle says:

DREAM was fucking amazing!!
    And the Affliction card looks to be just as sick.

Will any UFC cards this year top those other two?

Doubt it.

Definitely getting the PPV and if it lives up to the hype, Ill buy a damn shirt too!! If youre gonna give me quality shows like this, I have no problems buying your shwag.